Sign in to follow this  
Nathan3219

A Few Questions Before I Buy TSS MD-8X

Well, I have the LSH MD-82, and it's a fanstastic aircraft. The only thing I have against it, is the sound. I can hear the engines running when I switch to the VC view even when it is in a cold and dark panel state and the engines are not running. This bothers me, and really is an immersion killer.

So I did some research, and it seems others have experienced this problem too. I did some more research, and found myself at Turbine Sound Studio's website. I looked at their MD-8X sound pack for FSX, and the sounds in the YouTube video were amazing! I was almost ready to buy because it sounded nearly identical to the real JT8D's, which I have heard up close plenty of times.

The questions I have before I buy the TSS MD-8X sound pack to replace the LSH MD-82 sounds.

1. If I replace the default LSH sounds with the TSS sounds, will I still be able to hear the engines running during cold and dark?
  2. Will I still be able to hear my PNF and the FA?
  3. What are the main pros/cons of the TSS MD-8X HD Sound Pack for FSX?

My regards,
Nathan3219

Well, I have the LSH MD-82, and it's a fanstastic aircraft. The only thing I have against it, is the sound. I can hear the engines running when I switch to the VC view even when it is in a cold and dark panel state and the engines are not running. This bothers me, and really is an immersion killer.

Sorry, I don't have the Maddog so my advice may not work, but did you try toggling the sound on/off (Q), cycling through the views, or a combination of these? Occasionally I get a problem with other add-on aircraft similar to yours but the sounds go away instead of staying when they're not supposed to. Toggling the sound and cycling views always does the trick for me. 

I don't have the TSS stuff, but the sound "running" without anything going on is a FSX-ism bug basically. Try cycling the sound off/on with the "Q" key and that should fix it. It's an annoying little thing that likes to creep around.

First off, thanks for the replies.

About the suggested fixes for the sound problem:

For some reason, this doesn't work with the LSH MD-82... not sure why... because it always works with PMDG planes.

Hi Nathan; Great aeroplane!

Yes - I have the TSS Sound Pack, along with a few other SP's.

1).The TSS SP is the best.

2). The secret to hearing the engines running at oddball times - such as before start!! is handled by setting up a true Cold n Dark, using the default C172, at the airport & gate of your choice.

Much of this is described here. It should help. 

Here are the other sound packs:-

SimFantastic Sound Pack - available in the Avsim Library - md8x_soundset.zip, and then Steven Persson's Sound Pack - pwjt8d.zip - also from the library here.

Both are worth trying, and if they were deleted during the last crash a year or two ago - I have both. The other thing you might do is to turn all of the sounds right off in the sound config tab and bring them up one at  time - some are obvious by their name, but others are not. 

The default MS Sound controls ("Q" as mentioned above) don't work, as they're built in to the mdl file.

Hope this helps!

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hi Nathan; Great aeroplane!

Yes - I have the TSS Sound Pack, along with a few other SP's.

1).The TSS SP is the best.

2). The secret to hearing the engines running at oddball times - such as before start!! is handled by setting up a true Cold n Dark, using the default C172, at the airport & gate of your choice.

Much of this is described here. It should help. 

Here are the other sound packs:-

SimFantastic Sound Pack - available in the Avsim Library - md8x_soundset.zip, and then Steven Persson's Sound Pack - pwjt8d.zip - also from the library here.

Both are worth trying, and if they were deleted during the last crash a year or two ago - I have both. The other thing you might do is to turn all of the sounds right off in the sound config tab and bring them up one at  time - some are obvious by their name, but others are not. 

The default MS Sound controls ("Q" as mentioned above) don't work, as they're built in to the mdl file.

Hope this helps!

pj

It worked! I did the "How to: Cold and Dark" in your guide and now I no longer hear the engine sounds when I start up the aircraft.

Also, thanks for the information on the different sound packs. The quick and dirty guide is also very helpful.

Thanks a million... you've been a major help.

Just glad you've got it running the way it should. The LH version of the MD-80 is not exactly a pushover is she!   :lol:

Gotta be one of my favorite aircraft. 

All the best,

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.