Sign in to follow this  
Mean Aerodynamic Chord

Windows message about hard drive. Should I be concerned?

Hi all

So recently I went on the Windows Experience Index, and I clicked on the "View and print detailed performance and system information" thing to check out my specs. At the bottom of the list, there was a footnote that made me a little bit worried. 

I checked on 2 other computers at my house and neither of them have this message. Should I be worried? Is my HD about to die?  :unsure:

My W7/64 has been yapping for months about a drive that doesnt pass SMART, seems okay to me.

spacer.png

Ah okay, good that I'm not the only one. Anyone else?

Iam on w7  and I don't get  the message you highlighted in blue

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

My W7/64 has been yapping for months about a drive that doesnt pass SMART, seems okay to me.

SMART is notoriously unreliable to be honest. It's wrong 30% of the time.

Why didn't it pass? Bad sectors was it? If so...

There are soft bad sectors and hard bad sectors. Soft is software, hard is hardware as you would think. The hardware bad sectors are the worrying kind.

Even new drives have bad sectors, manufacturers add spare sectors so Windows can bypass the bad ones. During use, things like improper shutdown can cause bad sectors. When you get to the stage where the spare sectors are running out, the drives days are numbered.

Make sure you back up your data Chris, just in case SMART is telling the truth.

Also, if you nip over to the Western Digital site, Lifeguard Tools is available as a free download, it works for any make of HD. Run a scan and see what transpires. It will give you the SMART info as well.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=613&sid=3〈=en

Hi all

So recently I went on the Windows Experience Index, and I clicked on the "View and print detailed performance and system information" thing to check out my specs. At the bottom of the list, there was a footnote that made me a little bit worried. 

attachicon.gifasdasdasd.PNG

I checked on 2 other computers at my house and neither of them have this message. Should I be worried? Is my HD about to die?  :unsure:

Same for you. Run a scan.

It will give you the SMART info, and enable you to scan the entire drive for dodgy sectors.

Make sure you back up your data Chris, just in case SMART is telling the truth.

Also, if you nip over to the Western Digital site, Lifeguard Tools is available as a free download, it works for any make of HD. Run a scan and see what transpires. It will give you the SMART info as well.

Yep, both issues covered already but thanx.

spacer.png

Same for you. Run a scan.

It will give you the SMART info, and enable you to scan the entire drive for dodgy sectors.

Thanks for the link. I opened the program, and there was a big green checkmark by the SMART status. I clicked on it, and all the list had check marks. So I passed the SMART test. I also did a "quick test" and these were my results:

So basically I pass every single test. I also did a test with Defraggler (Not that well known for its disk assessment, but it is another one) and I passed as well.

Thanks for the link. I opened the program, and there was a big green checkmark by the SMART status. I clicked on it, and all the list had check marks. So I passed the SMART test. I also did a "quick test" and these were my results:

Captureasdasd.PNG

So basically I pass every single test. I also did a test with Defraggler (Not that well known for its disk assessment, but it is another one) and I passed as well.

To be honest, if you aren't having any issues other than the message from windows I wouldn't worry.

You could try googling the message. You might be able to determine something that way.

This may interest you...

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/128961-wei-caution.html

Partition too low.You may want to check that.

Is a terabyte of storage too low for Windows 7?

Haha, well I guess I'm fine. I read that post you sent. I guess I shouldn't have cheaped out on my hard drive. I'll upgrade soon.

deleted

I saw what you wrote originally. I was going to reply...: My hard drive is exactly 1TB. I did not partition it anymore than what the Windows installer chose. (AKA the whole thing)