Sign in to follow this  
X_Man

Question - Networking OpusFSX

I downloaded the demo this morning and installed it.  I am using P3D V2.  I have a default flight of a Cessna 172 at Williams Field KIWA (just a mile from my house).   I start P3D V2 and the flight loads normally.  My problem is that prior to loading OPUS all of the mountains surrounding KIWA look quite normal.  As soon as OPUS injects the current weather ALL of the surrounding mountains turn totally white as if they were covered in snow from top to bottom which is certainly not the case here in middle Arizona.

Reloading the flight restores the mountain view to normal until OPUS injects the weather again and the mountains all turn totally white again.

That's an easy one.

If you have Volumetric Fog enabled in P3D then you MUST also enable the Volumetric Fog Effect in the Opus Weather User Preferences dialog.

If you don't P3D accumulates all the visibility layers (a fault in P3D v2) and produces dense fog where ther isn't any.

So either turn both Volumetric Fog effects on or off. When off then Opus will inject the usual visibility layering which P3D cannot handle correctly when its own VF effect is turned on. This is a well known problem with P3D v2 so it might be fixed by LM in the near future.

Stephen :-)

While you are at it please read the Opus Recommended Practices using the Question Mark icon at the bottom of the weather dialog. That might help you in the demo but the demo is quite limited so it may not matter.

Stephen

Thanks Stephen, that fixed the problem.  I remember seeing comments there was a problem in P3D V2 with the fog but did not know it would affect OPUS.  Works great now.  Thanks again

You're welcome. Its more a case of the LWE having to accommodate the P3D v2 volumetric fog problem. Hence we have added the Opus Enable Volumetric Fog Effect option to take account of the problem.

If you do use the VF effect you will notice the visibility increases too much at altitude, above what would be the VF layer. Nothing can solve this until LM sort the problem out.

I generally recommend to use the VF effect if you fly low level VFR and perhaps turn it and the Opus option OFF if you fly high level. But its up to the user and can be down to personal preference.

Hi Stephen

I purchased, downloaded and installed OPUS this morning and all works just fine.  It is version 3.37.5.

I have a question about the update process.  Your website says "If you have previously purchased OpusFSX and want to upgrade to the latest Release version then click on the Upgrade button and download the OpusFSX.msi file.".  Does "click on the Upgrade button" mean on your website or is there an upgrade button within OPUS (that I could not find)??

I tried it thru your website, downloaded the .msi and then ran the .msi file.  I see the version number I am using 3.37.5 stayed the same, does that mean that there was no update available??  I presume if there was a new version it would have downloaded and installed it?

Thanks for your time.

John

Hi John

The Upgrade button can be found on the RH side of our downloads web page,

http://www.opussoftware.co.uk/opusfsi/downloads.htm

At the moment both Release and Upgrade versions are the same 3.37.5, this is usually the case as I generally post betas and when ready generate both a new Purchase EXE file and a new OpusFSX.msi file.

You can also follow our Announcements in our SimForums pages, I try to announce the most important upgrades and betas here on Avsim as well.

P.S.

Like the badge.