Sign in to follow this  
busdriver

Advice on drive for scenery add-ons, etc..

Folks,

I'm looking to add an additional drive to my system for scenery, aircraft add-ons, etc... My system currently has an SSD for the OS, and SSD for FSX and I have the option of either using an older Corsair P256 SSD (256GB) or an older 300GB VelociRaptor. I believe I can use SATA II for either drive.

Which will give me the best performance? I'll be most likely using it to load photo-real scenery etc. Also, is there a tutorial on how to point FSX to load the scenery if its stored on a second drive?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Use this for moving scenery to another drive and freeing up room on dedicated FSX drive.

http://junction-link-magic.software.informer.com

I'd go a SSD it's not going to make FSX faster but it loads quicker, I use scenery configuration v1.1 and only load scenery I am using for the particular flight I'm doing. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

http://fs2crew.com/banners/Banner_FS2Crew_MJC_Supporter.png

Wayne HART

Thanks... Well I haven't installed anything yet, so not sure if that changes things?

Also, would a product like Addit Pro manage this for me? I'm looking to find the easiest solution. 

There's a couple of guides on you tube about junction link it's quite easy really, never used that program you mentioned nor heard of it. I think it's more for internal fsx stuff I install all scenery manually, there's a good FSX guide on avsim to install and setup pc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

http://fs2crew.com/banners/Banner_FS2Crew_MJC_Supporter.png

Wayne HART

Go for the SSD. It will offer more consistently fast photo scenery texture loading and a lot quicker initial load time. Especially when the drive starts to fill up. You'll actually get more GB out of the slightly smaller SSD as well as I wouldn't be afraid to fill it to 90% or even more as it's used for read only in FSX. Wouldn't dream of filling the Velociraptor that much.

I personally went from SSD only, to SSD + Photo Scenery on Velociraptor. But as I installed more and more scenery the initial load time just got longer and longer (velociraptor only 1/3rd full) so in the end I got a large SSD to put the photo scenery on as well. So now back on SSDd only.

If you can, a SSD only setup is best, but costly.

Thanks, I have the SSD, just trying to figure out the best process for adding the scenery options on a second drive... I have yet to install anything, other than just FSX on its own dedicated drive.