Sign in to follow this  
Q_flyer

I found a great little External FPS Limiter that works with DX11 and P3D2

Hi guys,

This is just a quick one as it's late here and I have an early start tomorrow so bed calls!

But I found out about this External Frame Rate Limiter that works with DX10 and DX11.

I tried it with P3D2 and first impressions are EXCELLENT! ............ It certainly works.  I limited Frames at 34 in the tool, and indeed P3D2 sat at 33.9  :smile:  ... and more importantly, all the 'frame variance stutters' were gone and the experience was beautifull smooth.   Only tested for 15 mins though.   ... and YMMV!

It is called DXtory

http://exkode.com/dxtory-downloads-en.html

Here's a bit of information about it from a post on the Steam forum :-

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1820131

IMPORTANT NOTES:-

• To use it, launch it and after the nag period, click "Experience the Trial".
  • Now, go along each tab at the top and unclick all of the "Default Setting" check boxes.   You don't want the tool to be doing anything other than frame rate control.
  • NB:  There are 'hotkeys' that will conflict with P3D and TrackIR so click on the Hotkey tab and 'clear' (delete) them all !!
  • Go to the green box icon towards the right and check the "Limit Video FPS" box, and enter your desired value.
  • Now MINIMIZE the tool, and launch P3D2.    This will generate a profile for P3D2 and in future all you will have to do is (i) launch DXtory and then launch P3D2.

See what you guys think - I only had a short time to test but I saw a real increase in frame stability, smoothness and performance!  YMMV!

:smile:

• Upvote 1

Very good find. Will give this a try

Sent from my Mobile thing

I'll try it too, and report back!

Aamir Thacker

It is a neat tool indeed. Been using it for several DX11 shooters (where fps can drop/spike instantly).

Although I sometimes get CTD with this tool, which is probably a conflict on my end. I truly recommend it.

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

Great find!!!  Excellent results, indeed!!

So far, P3D V2 turned into a microstuttering mess as soon i moved the head (TrackIR).

Outstanding smoothness now.. :smile:

internaly locked to 35 FPS (unlocked might give better results with certain AC)

externaly locked to 30 FPS

Hope it's not introducing CTD's, though.

Joerg Alvermann
Win10 Pro 64Bit - i9-9900KS - GTX980Ti 6GB - 5760x1200

what did you do to get this running ?

I get exception error when starting the tool :-(

Carsten U

So far, P3D V2 turned into a microstuttering mess as soon i moved the head (TrackIR).

In that case changing the priority of TrackIR to high might have helped also!

Do we have Prepar3d 2 frames set as unlimited internally then limit them with this tool?

Dave

Do we have Prepar3d 2 frames set as unlimited internally then limit them with this tool?

Dave

That's the idea, but you have an nvidia card so you don't even need that tool (or any other.) Just use nvidia inspector to turn on the driver-based frame limiter.

This is primarily for ATI users as nVidia users have a native way of externally locking frame rates   - however, that assumes the NI method is more effecient than all others.          So in other words, if I were a nVidia user, I would still try this tool.    

It's had fantastic results on my system, but then again I obviously don't know how the NI frame limiter works.

But this is well worth a try.

In that case changing the priority of TrackIR to high might have helped also!

yep.. tested that beforehand.. but it didn't make any difference for me. I think it's a valid tip nevertheless. I'll give it at try in FSX lateron. Free CPU cycles are rare with FSX running, and TrackIR might benefit from a higher prio.

Dave

I'd recommend to stick with the settings that gives you best results WITHOUT using DXtory.

Without DXtory, i had the best results with the internal limit set to 35 fps & NI Vsync to 1/2 refresh rate.

I kept that settings and use DXtory 'on top'. Increased smoothnes with banks, turns and head movements.

Joerg Alvermann

So, I use a gtx770 4Gb.

Your saying I should set frames unlimited in p3dv2 and also un-select v-sync and untick triple buffering? And then load this new tool and set my fps limit in it?

Or what's the correct way?

That's the idea, but you have an nvidia card so you don't even need that tool (or any other.) Just use nvidia inspector to turn on the driver-based frame limiter.

I am an Nviida user an have tested the NI limiter. I found the NI limiter to make no difference whether on or off. Not sure at the moment if it worked at all. So, not the sane results, at least for me.

Joerg Alvermann

So, I use a gtx770 4Gb.

Your saying I should set frames unlimited in p3dv2 and also un-select v-sync and untick triple buffering? And then load this new tool and set my fps limit in it?

Or what's the correct way?

not exactly.. you need to balance your settings first to be able to reach more or less constantly the desired fps.

Let's assume you've done that, and you're happy to reach more ore less constant 30fps..

here's my 'setup' to reach smooth 30fps.

P3Dv2:

- frames limited to 35  << that's my sweet spot. you might try various other settings here, and see if it makes a difference

- v-sync on

- TB unchecked

NVidia Inspector:

- Vertcal Sync : Use the 3D application setting

DXtory:

- limit: 30 fps

I found the best smoothness if the external limiter is set to one of the adaptive v-sync refresh rates,

i.e 60, 30, 20, 15

Hope that helps...

Joerg Alvermann