Sign in to follow this  
Q_flyer

I found a great little External FPS Limiter that works with DX11 and P3D2

Ok, we'll definitely all have different suggestions for what's best, but personally, I would firmly recommend setting frames to UNLIMITED within P3D, tick Triple Buffering on, then limit frames in DXtory, to the LM formula, which is  Monitor Refresh rate x 0.5, plus 10%.....   in most cases that will be 33 or 34 FPS.

Limiting the FPS within P3D defeats the object of this tool because the ESP frame limiting algorhythm just doesn't seem to effective and seems to reduce smoothness.

So;-

P3D Frame Rate Slider:  Unlimited

P3D Triple Buffering:    On

DXtory:    34 FPS

I have tried this tool in the hope of getting my stutter issues resolved. Unfortunately, this was also not the answer. I feel like having tried it all, Vsync on/off, triple buffering on/off, limiting frames both internally and externally but nothing seems to help. Feels like I am back in FSX before DX10 although overall performance in terms of FPS is excellent so far.

Best regards,

Alexander Rietveld

I have tried this tool in the hope of getting my stutter issues resolved. Unfortunately, this was also not the answer. I feel like having tried it all, Vsync on/off, triple buffering on/off, limiting frames both internally and externally but nothing seems to help. Feels like I am back in FSX before DX10 although overall performance in terms of FPS is excellent so far.

Hi Alex

Have a go at changing the TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT= value, in the Prepar3D.cfg file to higher or lower values.

Sometimes a higher (eg... 70) or a lower (eg 20 or 30) can resolve stutters.

Worth a try.

Have a go at changing the TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT= value, in the Prepar3D.cfg file to higher or lower values.

Thanks, Dave. I've tried a couple of different values and the sweetspot seems to be at 70. The sim is noticeably smoother than before with far less (micro)stuttering. 

Still some left, not nearly not as frustrating as before :)

Thanks again! 

Best regards,

Alexander Rietveld

:( ..... With more time to test this External FPS Limiter today, I've found that alas, it does not work with P3D's Full Screen Mode.

It can only seem to lock the frame rate when in Window Mode, but once in Full Screen, the frame rates are fluctuating wildly, above the lock value. :(

I know you aren't a fan of RadeonPro Dave, but DFC is working just fine with P3D2, just FYI.

Regards,

Brian Doney

I know you aren't a fan of RadeonPro Dave, but DFC is working just fine with P3D2, just FYI.

You read my mind Brian - (re) downloading as we speak!

I have an nVidia card.

What is it I should do?  Why does changing the default lock at 20 help things?

I have an nVidia card.

What is it I should do?  Why does changing the default lock at 20 help things?

20 is far too low for a lock value (they just use that as a default, as something of a lowest common denominator for people with low end hardware).

But at any value, the P3D Frame Rate Lock seems (to me) even worse than the FSX frame rate lock;  it seems to reduce performance quite significantly, whereas leaving frames 'Unlocked' in P3D and using an external limiter (NI for nVidia users and RadeonPro for AT users) gives better results for most people.

But at any value, the P3D Frame Rate Lock seems (to me) even worse than the FSX frame rate lock;  it seems to reduce performance quite significantly, whereas leaving frames 'Unlocked' in P3D and using an external limiter (NI for nVidia users and RadeonPro for AT users) gives better results for most people.

Without a doubt.

Performance is intolerable using the built in limiter in my experience, even at high FPS.

Regards,

Brian Doney

I looked through all the settings and didn't see an option to up or disable the fps limiter in prepar3d...

Could someone explain the process?

I looked through all the settings and didn't see an option to up or disable the fps limiter in prepar3d...

Could someone explain the process?

Slide the slider all the way to the right, until it says "Unlimited" instead of a number.

EDIT:   Beat you, Brian! :P ....... PS. Thanks for pushing me to try RadeonPro again...... what a result :cool:

Just need to set this slider to unlimited, like so:

b9fx.png

EDIT: But I have a PICTURE, DAVE !  :lol: Glad RP is working for you.

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Brian Doney