Sign in to follow this  
History Man

Help For Downloading Aircraft

I have come seeking some advice and help on a matter that has been driving me crazy. I just purchased a new laptop the other day, it is a Toshiba i5-4200U Processor Laptop. I know how to download aircraft to FS2004 and an extent FSX.

I can download the aircraft just fine off of the internet and create files, but cannot find where to transfer them. I cannot find the FSX file which holds the different sections to transfer to. The only options I get are FS9 and FSX disc, both do not work.

Can anyone help me?

It is getting quite irritating as this was one of the reasons why I purchased a laptop.

Also, I was told that this laptop was quite good to run FSX by a worker at the store who also owns it. But when detail is added to the simulator, it is choppy and difficult to view.

I have been told the new Lenovo Ideapad S510p Touch is good for FSX and handles nicely, but I am not sure which way to go.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Philip

The person who told you a laptop will run FSX is wrong. Unless you get a monstrous powerhouse (not your laptop), FSX will be sub par.

Let me guess, typical Best Buy idiot? They HAVE NO IDEA!!!

As far as folders, for FSX, aircraft need to be placed in Sim Objects/Aircraft.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Both of those laptops will be crap for FSX. Don't purchase either one.

Don't install FS into the Programs Files folder, but C:\FS2004 and C:\FSX

Ryan pointed out the folder location already!

I cannot find the FSX file which holds the different sections to transfer to.

The default installation path (which is not recommended, as Jim said) is C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X. Usually, addons come with a readme, which explain in detail, how to install an aircraft, but usually it's simply unzipping and copying the contents from the downloaded file to the SimObjects\Airplanes folder within the main FSX directory. You might need to have User Account Control switched off to add/change files in that directory, though, which is why commonly an installation path outside the protected Program Files is recommended.

The person who told you a laptop will run FSX is wrong.

I'd like to disagree here - I run FSX on a laptop just fine. Of course, there are some trade-offs, but in general I am quite happy with it! But it's definitely not the best option, that's for sure.

I meant to say "that laptop." Sorry! People assume since it's 2013 tech it will work. They have no idea how FSX operates.

You still need a fast CPU (modern architecture definetly helps I'll agree there).

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |