Sign in to follow this  

Complex airplanes > CTD?

Lewis from A2A posted this on their C172 forum:

"there is currently a CTD issue with complex add on aircraft for P3D v2. Including the A2A C172.

At the time of this post the C172 (and all of our products) are working 100% as released for the platforms designed for. In the case of the Accu-sim C172 Trainer that is FSX and P3D v1.4

So apparently LM needs to fix something... or all devs need to make their planes compatible...? That may take a while...!!! I see a lot of planes are marked 2.0 compatible in this topic: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/426926-p3d-v2-master-compatibility-list/ but that topic mainly tells you how to get the planes installed: more often it seems that once installed, there can be various problems. As I said elsewhere: making the installer P3D 2.0 ready doesn't make the addon itself P3D 2.0 compatible.

It's a shame, really... I will have to keep on flying the default planes a while longer, I suppose.

I actually got an OOM with the Maule last night, after about a 20 minute flight up the Chesapeake Bay.  This is with all sliders in about the middle.

Complex aircraft issues?  I may load up the FSX trike and see if I get OOMs with that. 

I'm pretty okay with the AXE, dunno if that qualifies as complex though.

Aamir Thacker

IMO V2 has done some things differently, ie simconnect variables, and developers are going to have to make the changes in order for thier aircraft to function properly. I believe that has been LM approach all along. To add, if you read LM forum Petes post, there are a few things developers are finding that LM needs to change also. Still much to do before V2 is completely stable.

I'm having a lot of OOM issues with 10m mesh installed, and even though I use Tessallation, VAS usage is extremely high. I get 800-900K just by launching the startup screen. With default aircraft, default scenety and medium to high settings (no shadows or water effects) I go straight to 2,5 - 3 GB of VAS usage. I lament installing any complex addon into P3D. It's going to be interesting to see how this develops.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I get a consistent CTD with the twin otter extended. It doesn't say why, just "this application has stopped working"  :mellow:

LM has some work to do. So far all developers point at LM whenever there is a problem: doesn't look like they are willing to make there addons compatible. LM will have to take care of it all. Which is a bit of a bummer...

Here are my findings with complex aircraft in P3D :-

Majestic Q400:    Gives the "P3D stopped working" error each time you quit P3D after using the Q400.  

Airbus X Extended:   No issues, aside from the fact that you can't change between Win > Full Screen with the Q400 loaded.

Coolsky DC-9:          Absolutely zero issues.

feelThere ERJs:        Absolutely zero issues.

QualitySim 146s:       Absolutely zero issues.

Twin Otter X:             No issues apart from the same constraint as the AXE:  cannot change from Win>Full Screen with this plane loaded.

RealAir B60v2:         Custom sounds (from the Doug Dawson sound gauge) not working.   All else fine.

........so this blanket statement :-   "there is currently a CTD issue with complex add on aircraft for P3D v2"  really needs some qualifying, to explain what it really means, as my eyes tell me that a number (not all) of complex aircraft work flawlessly within P3D2

I get a consistent CTD with the twin otter extended. It doesn't say why, just "this application has stopped working"  :mellow:

Does this happen when you are switching from windows mode to fullscreen, or back to windowed mode?   If so, Aerosoft know about that one and it's to do with their ASC.DLL (sound module) and their fixing it.

No issues apart from the same constraint as the AXE: cannot change from Win>Full Screen with this plane loaded.

That's the exact same problem the C172 seems to have. I've read that as long as you load the plane while the sim is fullscreen and then load another plane before you quit the sim (or switch to windowed mode) then all is 'fine'. Since this seems to happen with various planes from various developers, it indeed looks like a problem LM needs to solve.

That's the exact same problem the C172 seems to have. I've read that as long as you load the plane while the sim is fullscreen and then load another plane before you quit the sim (or switch to windowed mode) then all is 'fine'. Since this seems to happen with various planes from various developers, it indeed looks like a problem LM needs to solve.

Yes definitely.  I have the C172 installed too and it is the same issue.   There is no doubting that LM have some bugs to be working on; I hope they give us a patch soon! :cool:

Okay, so, scratch what I said, was trying a flight from KATL to KIAD in the AXE, CTD'd shortly after reaching cruise altitude.

Aamir Thacker

Does this happen when you are switching from windows mode to fullscreen, or back to windowed mode?   If so, Aerosoft know about that one and it's to do with their ASC.DLL (sound module) and their fixing it.

Yep. That's exactly what it is. I looked into it further after I post and indeed they are working on it.

So what's the best way to load the Twotter? Load default, go to fullscreen, and then load the plane?

Ive quit putting any believe in it works or not until I try it. seen too many this works and that works but there are little things that may or may not be working. Everyone uses the Sim differently. There is definitely alot of work to be done by both developers and LM to be stable and completely compatible. I expected that going in so I'm not surprised at all.

Yep. That's exactly what it is. I looked into it further after I post and indeed they are working on it.

So what's the best way to load the Twotter? Load default, go to fullscreen, and then load the plane?

Hi Preston,

I do this:-

• I have the default Baron 58 as default flight, and keep the default flight in Windowed mode. (via the Prepar3d.cfg).
  • So, start P3D, get the load screen, launch the flight, with the Baron 58.
  • When it loads, go full screen.
  • Change aircraft, to the Twotter.
  • Fly!
  • Change aircraft, back to the Baron 58, and go back to Windowed Mode.
  • Quit P3D2.

Cheers.