Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Is this a correct impression of the alternatives ?

As I understand things there are  mainly four options with different pro and cons,

1) Stay with DX9

Pro

Cost nothing and no work is needed. You won't see some glitches still present in DX10.

Con

You lose improved performance that DX10 gives. At least that was the case when I tried the free fixer on my Phenom II X4 with GTS250.

Will the same be true for my current Haswell 4770K with a GTX770 ?

2) Use the free DX10 fixer

Pro

Cost no money but you need to do some work.

Con

Some features missing from the commercial fixer.

3) Use the commercial DX10 fixer.

Pro

The installer makes the work and you get a better improved product compared to the free one.

Con

Cost money.

4) Get P3D.

Pro

Here you get DX11 which is better than DX10

The best gain in performance

Con

Most expensive option

Is it correctly understood ? Something to add ? Which alternative did you choose and why ?

Yes.

It worth to say every PC is different. At my PC I never experienced improved performance  with DX10 fix, whatsoever.

As I understand things there are  mainly four options with different pro and cons,

1) Stay with DX9

Pro

Cost nothing and no work is needed. You won't see some glitches.

Con

As a baseline, none.

2 and 3) Use the commercial DX10 fixer or Use the free DX10 fixer

Pro

Added effects.

The installer makes the work and you get a better improved product compared to the free one.

Improved frame rates

Con

May cost money.

Jaggies harder to rid of.

4) Get P3D.

Pro

More added effects.

Here you get DX11 which is better than DX10

The best gain in performance(only if you have a very fast video card)

Con

Most expensive option

Many addons won't work or not allowed

Is it correctly understood ? Something to add ? Which alternative did you choose and why ?

I added/changed what I thought missing in red.

Hi jfri:

Your first three, though very simplified, and missing a few points (such as a penchant for OOM's (#1)) are mostly correct, but I need to take some issue with #4:

4) Get P3D.

Pro

Here you get DX11 which is better than DX10 <<<  This is not necessarily the case at all, and "better" needs to be amplified, as everyone in this hobby has a different idea of "better". DX11 is more complex than DX10, and that adds much additional overhead. In order to achieve a higher performance the underlying graphics coding has to be in-line with the "optimizing for performance" philosophy.  The architectural change came with DX10, by moving all graphics processing from a shared memory between CPU & GPU architecture, to an all-GPU architecture. DX11 has built on that , and can almost be regarded as a superset of DX10. FSX gets fine performance and smoothness with DX10, plus many other benefits.

The best gain in performance  No, for the above reason.

Con

Most expensive option  For sure, and with many legacy aircraft and scenery packages unable to be used anymore. This is not the case with the DX10 Fixer and FSX SP2.

All the best,

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Most expensive option  For sure, and with many legacy aircraft and scenery packages unable to be used anymore. This is not the case with the DX10 Fixer and FSX SP2.

And it's not just a software change, for most simmers it's also a very expensive hardware change in order to achieve both performance and graphical improvement.

I added/changed what I thought missing in red.

That leads me to the question if my GTX770 2G is very fast video card ?

Hi jfri:

Your first three, though very simplified, and missing a few points (such as a penchant for OOM's (#1)) are mostly correct, but I need to take some issue with #4:

4) Get P3D.

Pro

Here you get DX11 which is better than DX10 <<<  This is not necessarily the case at all, and "better" needs to be amplified, as everyone in this hobby has a different idea of "better". DX11 is more complex than DX10, and that adds much additional overhead. In order to achieve a higher performance the underlying graphics coding has to be in-line with the "optimizing for performance" philosophy.  The architectural change came with DX10, by moving all graphics processing from a shared memory between CPU & GPU architecture, to an all-GPU architecture. DX11 has built on that , and can almost be regarded as a superset of DX10. FSX gets fine performance and smoothness with DX10, plus many other benefits.

The best gain in performance  No, for the above reason.

Con

All the best,

pj

For now I'm trying to decide if it's worth the money to buy the commercial DX10 fixer.

That leads me to the question if my GTX770 2G is very fast video card ?

For now I'm trying to decide if it's worth the money to buy the commercial DX10 fixer.

From what people are seeing in P3D section, faster the video card the better for sure. For me, a GTX770 would not be fast enough.

I've been doing some DX10 testing at the moment and will most likely go the Fixer route. Much cheaper than a new video card.

Here is what I got from the commericial DX10 fixer which was not in the free version:

1.  The ability to use nvidia inspector AF (anisotropic filtering) 16x, which is a most noticable image quality improvement.

2.  The ability to enable cockpit shadows in most of my paid addon aircraft.

3.  A fix for the blinking street lights at night (a DX10 problem).

4.  The ability to fix problems with textures for payware airports and aircraft (though I have yet to use this feature).

5.  Some minor but useful bug fixes in the free version, and generally a better experience overall.

If the above is something that you'd really like to have, then the price is 100% worth it IMO.

PaulJ's DX10 "How-to" guide is a must read for using DX10, and using the free DX10 fixer comes down to this:

1. Install it.

2. Add the AA settings in your fsx.cfg file as per the guide.

3. Add the nvidia inspector settings as per the guide.

4. Enable DX10 preview and a few other setting in FSX as per the guide

5. Restart FSX and go for flight and enjoy the DX10 enhancements.

If you are an 'entrenched' FSX user, i.e. lots of addons, fly VATSIM and other online servers, and have customized controllers, be aware that with P3D you will lose a lot of ground in these areas, whereas with DX10 fixer nothing is lost (well, maybe some texture issues with a few airports and aircraft).

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Missing points relative to addons:

1) FS9 - Oldest technology with regard to addons. 

Pro - some excellent addons exclusive to FS9 - Examples RFP 742, Dreamfleet 727.

2) FSX - Best selection of the latest and greatest addon aircraft. PMDG NGX & 777, ConcordeX, Majestic Q400, and lots of of others.

3) P3D - Great potential to port over aircraft but there are problems and not all of the top addons will be made available, costs unknown for others.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

3) P3D - Great potential to port over aircraft but there are problems and not all of the top addons will be made available, costs unknown for others.

:lol:   Always the optimist!   :lol:  - just don't lay out too much money on that one, Mark!  

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

:lol:  :lol: