Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Urgent help needed with GTX770...

Hi guys, I'm feeling very, very sad and really cannot fathom out my predicament. I have just replaced my GTX580 1.5gb with a GTX770 4gb card and have been really impressed with the increase in performance, especially in clouds, (you were right Ben Cap, I was wrong) Anyway, I did a driver clean sweep after uninstalling the 580 and started with the latest driver for the 770. I also rebuilt a new FSX cfg. Anyway, for some really strange reason I am having terrible memory issues. eg, leaving CYVR + Orbx in the NGX and after about five minutes of blurries, the MB starts it's dinging message which is an indication of OOM. Then the sim starts to stall when loading textures and eventually freezes. It did the same thing yesterday from KPHL to KBOS after about fifteen minutes, this was in fair weather. This is with normal autogen and 5.5LOD. In fact these setting are exactly the same as I had with the 580. This is a real issue as I have never had this problem prior to installing the 770. I have also increased my FFTF to 0.33 from 0.12 but with no benefit. Can anyone offer some advice or suggest what may be going on. Cheers...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

start over and put the old card back in, see if you have the same problem,  I had a 580gtx and jumped to 780gtx, did not have any problems.  Good luck

This may help.  The P3D forum contains a posting from someone who stated that he had issues upon installing a new GPU.  The resolution to the issue was to assure to clear the contents in the Shaders folder:

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Shaders

It seemed to do the trick.  Check out the forum posting per the following link and see if that helps any.  Good luck.

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=4200

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

start over and put the old card back in, see if you have the same problem,  I had a 580gtx and jumped to 780gtx, did not have any problems.  Good luck

Thanks for the reply...

This may help.  The P3D forum contains a posting from someone who stated that he had issues upon installing a new GPU.  The resolution to the issue was to assure to clear the contents in the Shaders folder:

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Shaders

It seemed to do the trick.  Check out the forum posting per the following link and see if that helps any.  Good luck.

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=4200

That's interesting Mike, I'll check it out and let you know the results. Cheers...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

Still no luck after deleting the shaders. Sat on Rwy26R at CYVR with Orbx + NGX, frames were showing 26-28, when I went to the exterior view and panned the camera, a mass of graphical spikes appeared and the whole sim stopped and I got the OOM message :mad: :mellow: This just doesn't make sense. I wonder if it could be a duff card...

Howard

Hey Howard are you running it in prepar3d V2.0 or FSX.

My EVGAGTX 770 2gb is coming tomorrow. The reason I never went for the 4gb model was that I still run FSX in DX9 very happily on my 580 1.5gb. No OOM`s or other issues like that. I do keep LOD at 4.5 and knocked the scenry complexity and autogen down a notch or two when I started flying the PMDG 777.

The way I understand it, 32gb apps like FSX in DX9 shadow the VRAM into VAS so a 4gb card will OOM pretty easily.

I could be way of the mark if you are  running prepar3d V2 or FSX in DX10 I`m don't think this rule applies. Someone will have to clarify that though as I`m not totally clued up on how DX10/11 works.

If prepr3d goes native 64bit in the future and supports SLI then I was going to stick another 7702gb in and run them SLi.

Just throwing that out there for you mate.

Doogie

My EVGAGTX 770 2gb is coming tomorrow. The reason I never went for the 4gb model was that I still run FSX in DX9 very happily on my 580 1.5gb. No OOM`s or other issues like that. I do keep LOD at 4.5 and knocked the scenry complexity and autogen down a notch or two when I started flying the PMDG 777.

The way I understand it, 32gb apps like FSX in DX9 shadow the VRAM into VAS so a 4gb card will OOM pretty easily.

I could be way of the mark if you are  running prepar3d V2 or FSX in DX10 I`m don't think this rule applies. Someone will have to clarify that though as I`m not totally clued up on how DX10/11 works.

If prepr3d goes native 64bit in the future and supports SLI then I was going to stick another 7702gb in and run them SLi.

Doogie

Hi Doogie, sure, FSX DX9.  Mmm, I have to say this was my original suspicion. I was hoping I might be wrong. So effectively the 4gb memory is being shared by FSX's VAS, making less room for FSX, or something like this. is this what you mean...

BTW I did get the card in preparation for P3Dv2, but was hoping to use it in FSX for some time longer before making the plunge. Looks like I may have to take the plunge sooner rather than later, or return the card.

Howard

Hi Howard,

Dumb question...but did you remember when you rebuilt your fsx.cfg file to include under the GRAPHICS area HIGHMEMFIX= 1

When you 'improve' your hardware build and then tweak the cfg file and drivers etc, it unfortunately brings out the worst in FSX until you find what is causing the upset. 

My FSX machine (touching wood right now^^^) has been very stable since I froze my Windows updates a few years ago when I was in a stable period and I try not to 'meddle'. 

Hope you find your issue. 

Geoff Bryce

Yeah Howard that is exactly what I mean my friend. Best to wait until someone more qualified than myself pops in this thread though before doing anything drastic like returning it.

Geoff has a good point as well tough, making sure highmemfix is in there.

I wish you best of luck mate, I really do think that the issue is the huge amount of Vram killing your VAS in DX9. :(

Doogie

Thanks Geoff & Doogie, help appreciated. I have the Highmemfix tweak added Geoff, thanks. Maybe I'll PM Paul and see if he has any ideas... cheers...

Howard

no BP= tweak ? no tweaks at all ?

And did you check whether the VRAM is OK ? it might a failing hardware too. You're not the first to use a 2 gb+ card and haven't heard that the VAS was saturated by a card after a  few minutes even on a Titan.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

no BP= tweak ? no tweaks at all ?

And did you check whether the VRAM is OK ? it might a failing hardware too. You're not the first to use a 2 gb+ card and haven't heard that the VAS was saturated by a card after a  few minutes even on a Titan.

Hi Dominique, sure , I have the usual tweaks, but I have rebuilt the cfg and used without tweaks and used with tweaks. BP on and off etc. I don't think it's a hardware issue, as it has all been fine with the 580. Only since the 770 installation have I witnessed this problem.

Howard

B)  looks like I may have discovered the problem... for some reason, my C drive had only about 300kbs of space left!!! After deleting a mass of progs and data it released 10gb. I'm now flying the same flight for the past 25 minutes with no problem! Still testing and keeping fingers crossed! :smile:

Howard

Great news Howard, keep us posted how it goes.  I`m looking forward to installing my 770 tomorrow. Even bought a new can of air to give the case a good blow out ;)

Doogie

Doogie

Not true actually - it only shadows what you're actually using, not the full 4GB or whatever. (if it did, a 4GB+ card couldn't even run FSX, it would OOM immediately - obviously not true as there's people running Titans with 6GB etc)

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com