Sign in to follow this  
Q_flyer

The thing with P3D2 and OOMs is .......

.......every time someone get's a OOM with P3D2, they post about it.   :smile:   That not's a criticism; just an observation that because P3D2 is so new, and because the user base is currently so small, we get to hear about almost every single OOM.

Have we forgotten how many people are experiencing OOMs with FSX all around the world!? :lol:  ........ there is probably an OOM happening in FSX at any given time, somewhere in the world.

My point is not to pick on FSX, but simply to put some context to OOMs:   either platform can OOM because of the 32 bit limitations that we know so well.  P3D2 will, I believe, prove to OOM a lot less than FSX does, but as ever, that depends on settings in the sim.   Anyone can bring on an OOM, and anyone can avoid an OOM.        

An OOM is not even a fault! ........ It is simply the limits of FSX's architecture being reached by too many memory demands.

:smile:

An OOM is not even a fault! ........

But it still crashes the simulation.

And most are still playing with defaultish scenery.. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

.......every time someone get's a OOM with P3D2, they post about it. :smile: That not's a criticism; just an observation that because P3D2 is so new, and because the user base is currently so small, we get to hear about almost every single OOM.

Have we forgotten how many people are experiencing OOMs with FSX all around the world!? :lol: ........ there is probably an OOM happening in FSX at any given time, somewhere in the world.

My point is not to pick on FSX, but simply to put some context to OOMs: either platform can OOM because of the 32 bit limitations that we know so well. P3D2 will, I believe, prove to OOM a lot less than FSX does, but as ever, that depends on settings in the sim. Anyone can bring on an OOM, and anyone can avoid an OOM.

An OOM is not even a fault! ........ It is simply the limits of FSX's architecture being reached by too many memory demands.

I feel, that if it was me, trying to induce the limit. I would be trying to prove I can, because I can. This is not me trying to deride those that have, by the way.

Perhaps, but, there may yet be an opportunity to get better behaved add-ons as devs circumvent the need to work around fsx shortcomings.

Just with the new lighting and shadow model, some of the tricks to using multiple textures to produce those effects in the sim are no longer needed. Plus, now with the access to dx11 shader effects to use, those would be a plus to decrease texture loading and who knows what else . Sure 64bit would be nice, but I for one can hardly wait for devs to fully support p3d right now much less if we had to wait for 64bit compatability.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

The bottom line is the sooner the conversion to 64 bit happens the better.

Could well be but that's going to take a few years at least... Making P3D 64 bit seems to be a bigger job than getting 1.4 to 2.0 and that already took ages. Add to that the fact that all addons will have to be rewritten... I am still in doubt if 64 bit is THE answer to all our simming problems but the coming years this will be it... So I also hope LM will fix certain things.

.......every time someone get's a OOM with P3D2, they post about it.   :smile:   That not's a criticism; just an observation that because P3D2 is so new, and because the user base is currently so small, we get to hear about almost every single OOM.

Have we forgotten how many people are experiencing OOMs with FSX all around the world!? :lol:  ........ there is probably an OOM happening in FSX at any given time, somewhere in the world.

My point is not to pick on FSX, but simply to put some context to OOMs:   either platform can OOM because of the 32 bit limitations that we know so well.  P3D2 will, I believe, prove to OOM a lot less than FSX does, but as ever, that depends on settings in the sim.   Anyone can bring on an OOM, and anyone can avoid an OOM.        

Is anyone even thinking about applying the 'largeaddressaware' patch on P3D's .exe file.  Is that possible or is it already applied seeing as 90% of users are using this sim on a 64bit OS.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Dillon, that was already there in either Sp1 or Sp2 of FSX, I forget which.  So FSX and it's successors have been able to use 4 gb address space for a long time.

Dillon, that was already there in either Sp1 or Sp2 of FSX, I forget which.  So FSX and it's successors have been able to use 4 gb address space for a long time.

But we're talking about P3D v2 here...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

We're talking about P3D v2 here...

I know.   Again, FSX had that flag set in SP1 allowing it to address the full 4 gb.  Although I don't have the executable myself to check the flag, you can bet that that hasn't changed in P3D.

Never had OOMs in FSX, even on long PMDG flights ( T7 ).

I only use default scenery, and had FTX Global for a while and it even made my ride smoother!

I believe the case with P3D v2 has more to do with the hardware you're using. As most already identified, and LM made clear, having a good GPU, with at least 2GB GDDR is very important, specially if you want to enable tesselation and free your CPU from some hard work....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Your sitting round a table and the future of your baby is in your hands. You have two choices.

Choice one, is ensure backwards compatability, raise cash and buy time. It will take 3PD's time too code all the new features and release stunning add-ons. This will ensure that when the OOM issue is resolved the future is self sustaining.

Choice two, will eliminate OOM's, alienate the user base apart from a tiny few. Risk future development to achieve point 1. All this, knowing that the user base has lived with the exact same issue for 7 years.

If I were given these choices, I'd go for 1 every time.

Its just my observation that a 2gb card and DX11 does make a difference and keeps the VAS a little more behaved. That and the tightened up memory management help. Of course if you go all crazy out with your settings the of course your going to OOM. 

My 2gb VRAM gets pretty full and kept there and as a result the VAS has a bigger buffer. This is at CYVR in the PNW region known to test your VAS limits quite well. Even when 777 and NGX comes there is still room for it. 

When I use fsx and dx10 the VRAM doesnt get used as efficiently. 

Now with V2 it appears it is swapped out and used alot better. Time will tell, but its just about settings management. If you OOM then back off your settings. Simple. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Its just my observation that a 2gb card and DX11 does make a difference and keeps the VAS a little more behaved. That and the tightened up memory management help. Of course if you go all crazy out with your settings the of course your going to OOM. 

My 2gb VRAM gets pretty full and kept there and as a result the VAS has a bigger buffer. This is at CYVR in the PNW region known to test your VAS limits quite well. Even when 777 and NGX comes there is still room for it. 

When I use fsx and dx10 the VRAM doesnt get used as efficiently. 

Now with V2 it appears it is swapped out and used alot better. Time will tell, but its just about settings management. If you OOM then back off your settings. Simple. 

That would make sense because in DX11, that vram doesn't have to share in P3D's own memory space