Sign in to follow this  
bönan

Vintage airliners!

Hi guys!

I've been flying the A2A Boeing 377 almost exclusively during the last 6 months or so. It's absolutely top-notch, but I've started to look for something else to fly. I have my entire FSX installation converted to a late 50s/early 60s setting - all AI is from the time (from CalClassics). What I'm really missing now is something else to fly. The Stratocruiser is great for long haul flights, but I enjoy shorter hops as well. I've searched the major addon retailers but without much luck. JustFlight has done some propliners, namely the Viscount, Dc-6 and Constellation.

I have bought some of JustFlight's products in the past and was far from satisfied. I got the Viscount, and sadly I can't say I was satisfied. Graphically everything was very nice, but system modelling and flight dynamics were very poor. I'm afraid the Dc-6 and Constellation won't be any better, so I'm not directly willing to throw away my money... Besides, both of them are long-haul aircraft. Digging through the file archives for freeware has come up with some results, but nothing as detailed as I would like.

Have I missed any? Or is this kind of aircraft sadly overlooked in the FS world?

Hey there,

There is a really good freeware DC-3 out on SimOuthouse, however it has modern avionics so it doesn't seem like it would be your type of aircraft.

Have you looked at some of the older jets? Captain Sim has a decent 707, and Just Flight just recently released a DC-8 that is supposed to be decent. Milviz's 737-200 is a great package, as well as Coolsky's DC-9. All of them have 60's avionics available, and really are great airplanes to fly.

Hi Bonan,

If your looking for civilian airliners from the 50/60's you could try the Flight1 DC2, which might be a bit old for your era, although they would have still been used then. It does feature better system modelling than the Just Flight DC3 in my opinion. You might want to look at the Flight1 BN2 islander as I think I read somewhere that the first one is getting on for 50 years old and in the process of being restored. You'd have to check the history. Although this one doesn't have an old pre-GPS cockpit only a modern one.

If you wanted a Jet from that era the Captain Sim 707 is actually quite good and has good systems, but how accurately they work is beyond my experience. It's nice to fly and has lots of features, including a 2d popup INS system which works too. They also do a 727 and 737 but I don't have those ones myself only the 707. Milviz also do a 737 if you want an early one!

PMDG are also working on a DC6 which will be released when they are ready but no news on that one for a while. Some nice pics on their forum pages here at Avsim!

I hope that gives you some ideas.

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

The JustFlight DC-6B is on sale right now for 11.99 US$. I don't know if it will live up to your expectations, but it's been reported as one of JustFlights better efforts and that amount is not a lot to risk. I just picked it up this morning. I haven't begin to explore the systems depth so I can't comment except to say the engines sound great!

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

The Just Flight DC-6B isn't bad although it is not up to A2A Boeing 377 standard - I have bought it as a stopgap until the PMDG DC-6B becomes available (if it ever materialises!) and I have to say I enjoy flying it. Another option is the MAAM DC-3/C-47 and a reasonable freeware option may be Manfred Jahn's Constellation / Super Constellation / Starliner series. I enjoyed these in FS9 although I must admit I have not yet tried them in FSX.

Bill

I agree that older short/medium haulers are scarce if not non existent in FSX. I miss the HS748 turboprop of Rick Piper's fame I had in FS9. The closer I know for what you look for would be the Aersoft Catalina. Accusim quality it is not but it is rather decent.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Yep, with Catalina you have plenty of civilian route options as well. Check the aussiex repaints, you´ll find Quantas, TAA, KLM, Air France etc. and they really used them after the war in airline use. DC-2 is also really cool, it needs new textures for the vc, but otherwise its a good one and with respectable variety of repaints. Another short hopper could be An-2 from Sibwings, used by Interflug, Aeroflot and couple of others. If you like older cockpit, use the Manfred´s C-47 version 1 like I do. With new sounds from version 2, it is a gem still. And don´t forget that FS9 classics can be found in updated versions for FSX. Then you´ll have Ford Trimotor and Lockheed Vega. FSX Grumman Goose is also available heavily modded by the aussie simmers. Also the Fischer´s Ju52 works in FSX, not to forget the version 4 of Dave Garwood´s DH Rapide. With latter you could pick up a London-Paris shuttle big time. With these planes I have managed to stay in retro mode.

Furthermore the new Twotter and small variety of classic GA planes add to the soup perfectly.

I got the Viscount, and sadly I can't say I was satisfied

I liked he Viscount on flightsim.com with the panel by Fraser McKay better than the Just Flight Viscount. The Historic Jet Liners Group at (http://simviation.com//hjg/) has excellent vintage jetliners. The only problem is they do not have VCs.

I'm flying the PMDG JS4100 currently for my short hauls. It is an excellent turbo prop.

Billy Bluestar

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

The JustFlight DC-6B is on sale right now for 11.99 US$.  I haven't begin to explore the systems depth so I can't comment except to say the engines sound great!

I would say you have already fully explored the depth of the systems. :smile:

Regards,

Nick

A2A 377! Nice! That plane makes landing the Q400 look like childs play!

Its going to be hard to find a plane that matches the A2A stuff in quality.

The pre mentioned Milviz 737-200 is quite nice especially if you want to old school it

with no FMC and use the Sperry 77 (Vor to Vor flying).

I believe PMDG was so supposed to have a DC6 coming out after the 777?

Have I missed any?

Nothing to miss as there are no high quality vintage planes but the one you already have.

I've resorted to decent freeware(Constellation, BAC 1-11 and Tupolev Tu-114) which have great systems but are mainly 2D driven and rather ugly in VC.

I like many others, anxiously await the PMDG DC-6.

The Sibwings An2 is indeed very worth to get, Ive actually flown her much more than the Cat

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Aerosoft Catalina is about as close as you'll get to the B337, with great engine modeling that you really do have to pay attention to. The Twotter extended is another that really shouldn't be missed.....as well as the BN2.

Aerosoft Catalina is about as close as you'll get to the B337, with great engine modeling that you really do have to pay attention to. The Twotter extended is another that really shouldn't be missed.....as well as the BN2.

Cheers

Paul Golding

Cheers

Paul Golding