Sign in to follow this  
bönan

Vintage airliners!

Thanks for all the suggestions, I may have a look at the Catalina and Dc-2. Really hope some skilled developer starts to focus more on these aircraft...

The A2A Piper Cub should be a blast, probably too slow for you. My kind of bird however. I am about to get it on order. The Aircraft Factory Avro Anson MK1 also.

Steve

Coolsky DC-9-30, all analog & radio navigation only, first flight 1965. Avsim Gold Star Award. Best HD VC & system depth, read the reviews. It's refundable in 30 days if you don't like it.

Actually, there's some interesting freeware options available which can be made somewhat more realistic, if not more physically attractive, by the addition of RealEngine 1.4. This is a cracking little tool that effectively adds some components to piston engine aircraft that are almost accusim-like. Temperature becomes your enemy and you need to carefully juggle MAP, RPM and cowl flaps to control engine and oil temps.

This turns aircraft that are almost default in the systems complexity into much more of a realistic handful.

Jens Kristiansen's aircraft really benefit from it. Right now, I'm flying his BOAC Hermes IV from HECA to HSSS on the 1953 schedule down to Nairobi via Entebbe.  I'm using FS Captain to provide the context and I'm navigating using VORs only, or a bubble sextant when out of VOR range. The navigation and engine management keeps my hands pretty full, and it's a l-o-n-g way across the desert at 165IAS and FL190!

Andy 

I just discovered that JustFlight is offering their DC-6 for only 9.95€ compared to the normal 25€, so I got it. I'm currently preparing for a short KJFK - KIAD test flight, let's see how bad it is! :rolleyes:

The JustFlight DC-6B is on sale right now for 11.99 US$.

I just discovered that JustFlight is offering their DC-6 for only 9.95€

Wasted my breath. I did. :rolleyes:

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Wasted my breath. I did. :rolleyes:

I get the feeling he will be disappointed. Least it didn't cost much.

Hello  Bonan

There are some really good classic airliners out there.   Trident- Comet- and BAC 1-11.

They are FREE!

I fly them all the time and they have the best virtual cockpits of any - ANY - airliner out there.

As you know, their autopilots were really semi - auto - The Trident was nearest to the modern stuff- and these virtual planes have very accurate VCs.  Almost  ALL the switches work - using the mouse to click on them.  Lights- heating- everything.

They were created by a David MALTBY.  If you google maltby FSX planes I'm sure you'll find the website.  Explore it fully because the planes were originally made for FS9- but he has also made planes for FSX.  Download and install instructions are given- and you won't be disappointed.

These are all i fly now, under IFR - I leave the modern stuff to the FMC boys.  I like to search my cockpit for the right switches- which are so individual. 

I was surprised that none of the replies referred to these planes.  They are the best discovery I have ever made for FSX.

And they are FREE- 

Enjoy.

The JustFlight DC-6, what an incredible piece of junk! The first issue encountered came when I was doing my preflight. The battery went dead. In other words, no engine start. Well, aircraft reloaded and engines started. Graphically very fine, and the soundset was good. Too bad the systems are improperly modelled. I took of, and flight dynamics seemed rather fine. The big issues became apperant as I climbed. I had FL220 as cruising altitude for this short flight down to DC, but already at 9000 or so the engines were starting to loose power (I leaned as supposed). When levelling of at FL220 my MP was 33, outside the green range. Neverthless, it cruised at about 200KIAS. During the decent things really started to screw up. I followed normal decent procedures, cowl flaps closed and carburator heat on. All anti-icing on as well. As I was levelling of at 12000 I noticed I couldn't get any power from any engine. They were running, but just not producing any power. RMP could be adjusted. Mixture was NOT the problem. Thankfully I had several good airports within gliding distance. When on final the engines suddenly started to produce power again. Conclusion: Do NOT buy it until JF gives it a serious overhaul...

icon_share.png Fortiesboy

Big thanks! I'll give them a go, I'm sure they are good. I'll report back...

May I throw in a plug for the CalClassics Convair CV series (CV-440, etc.)? Those models were quite popular on shorter air routes in the 60's...

klingon.gif

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

Good to see a youngster into classic props!

How about trying some of the lovely aircraft from Classic British Flight SIm http://www.cbfsim.co.uk/cbfs_lib/

Rick Piper's Hawker Siddeley (Avro) 748 is a great freeware aeroplane. The 2D and VC may be considered a little basic but it was originally modelled for FS2002/FS2004 BUT the Dart sounds are awesome, the exterior very good-looking and the flight dynamics are very realistic (yes I have flown a real 748 albeit briefly last year and the performance is accurate).

I enjoy flying my West Air Europe model around Sweden. Great little cargo prop with excellent short-field performance.

EDIT: Here's a YouTube vid someone made showing the FSX 748 landing at ESNN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmq9ovIlZxU

Regards,

Adam

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

Hi all,

I had those early jets, Trident, Comet and BAC 1-11 from DM running in fsx, someone made some VC's for them and posted the complete aircraft in the library here at Avsim. worth a look, they flew well too considering when they originated. Eventually I uninstalled them as I wanted more realistic A2A level aircraft in my fsx set up.

One freeware plane I haven't seen mentioned is the Noratlas from Project Noratlas, it's a french military transport, twin engined, Bristol engines I think, sounds wonderful and flies nice too. the VC isn't to be sniffed at being very good in my opinion.

Still holding out for the DC6 from PMDG one day though! 

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

I just got the Noratlas, and I must say that it looks really interesting. I'm sure it can be squeezed down in some pretty interesting places! Now, the entire documentation is in French. And my French ain't good. Has anyone any experience with this bird? It seems a bit too complex to learn by trial-and-error! ^_^

Great to hear good things about the 377, thanks guys. Any links to this French jobby it sounds most interesting

thanks,

Lewis

Lewis - A2A Simulations