Sign in to follow this  
kmanning

Flight Simulator 2004 Settings vs Nvidia Control Panel Settings

Hi,

I wasn't for sure if I should post my question here or at the hardware's thread. But anyway, here's my question. I have the Nvidia G Force 520 graphics card. In Flight Simulator 2004, I checked the box that says, Extended Terrain Textures, but it's not extending the details of the tarrain and looks exactly the same. In the Nvidia Control Panel, it's set to the default and the option is Let the 3D Application Decide. With this setting, I assume this means that the settings in the graphics card has no affect and it will allow the simulator to decide on the graphics. Am I not correct? But when I make this change in flight simulator, there's no improvement in the detail of the tarrain. If I use the Nvidia Control Panel and set the Anisotropic Filtering to 16, I see great detail. Now, it's set to Application Control. But I noticed that below that, it says OFF. So, when it says Application Control, does this mean that the application is the flight simulation or the Nvidia graphics card? And does this have to be set to OFF before the simulator will extent the detail? In other words, is the Nvidia graphics card over riding the settings in flight simulator when this is set to Application Control?

Ken.

Hi,

1. Use a utility called Nvidia Inspector.

2. Follow Nick N's Guide located at another forum. A Google search will locate the post.

3. Then you don't touch the Nvidia Control Panel ever again.

That is the best way to go.

Thanks guys

This is for FSX. But does this also apply for Flight Simulator 2004? Also, I still want to better understand why changing the settings in FS has no affect and what's the difference between "Let the Application Decide" and "OFF" in the NVIDIA Control Panel.

Ken.

Okay, Thanks. I have another question. In the guide, it says: "After installing any Nvidia driver and a reboot, you DO NOT NEED TO OPEN the Nvidia control panel for anything D3D and game settings related. If you change anything in the Nvidia control panel for 3D and FSX games it will override Nvidia Inspector." What do I need to do if these have been change for both the Control Panel and FSX? Do I need to change the settings in the Control Panel back to it's Default and generate a new FSX.CFG so that it will be set to it's default?

Ken. 

Ken just pretend nVidia Control Panel is not installed.  Don't go looking for it, and don't open it.

Use Inspector.  Exclusively.  Update it as required but don't change the settings that work for you.

Hi,

In the Nvidia Inspector, there's a base setup and the advance setup. Should I setup both the basic one and the advanced or do I just setup just one of them? I noticed that it mentioned that the advance is for the i7 processors but mine is the i5. So do I skip this part and setup the base one only?

Ken.

Hi,

In the Nvidia Inspector, there's a base setup and the advance setup. Should I setup both the base and the advanced or do I just setup the base?

Ken.

I dont have an i7 CPU, so I cannot use "advanced" setup.

The results of base setup are fine enough for me

:smile:

Hi,

In the Nvidia Inspector guide, do I just change the ones that have the red arrows? The reason I asked is because I've noticed that 2 or 3 of them without the red arrow is also different from the guide. So, do I also need to change these?

Ken.

To avoid confusion, you should check out and use the AVSIM FS9 Configuration Guide. The link is under the Contents tab above.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

To avoid confusion, you should check out and use the AVSIM FS9 Configuration Guide. The link is under the Contents tab above.

Best regards,

I don't see the AVSIM FS9 Configuration Guide in the Contents tab above. Only FSX.

Ken.

Hi,

That's what I'm using. In that guide, the Nvidia Inspector shows red arrows pointing towards the selections that need to be changed. But there are also a couple of settings without the red arrows that's different from what mine says. For example, under Texture Filtering - Trilinear Optimization, the guide says "Off," but does not have the red arrow. My Nvidia Inspector says "On (will be ignored if using high quality)." Do I change all of them rather they have the red arrows or not or just the ones with the red arrows? The guide does not specify just to change the selections with the red arrows only.

Ken.