Sign in to follow this  

Back to hell

I have ordered a new video card, a 780Ti no less, in an attempt to make it work well enough to be my main sim.  Not everybody is in a position to spend that kind of cash, but since I have had my current cards for about two years, it is worth it for me. I very much want P3D to succeed for the future of the hobby. Right now FSX is still better for me and what I want out of a flight sim. but I am going to do my best to give P3D every chance to impress me.

- Bill Magann

Darned. After posting my Back to reality post, I installed OpusFSX because the new beta has an option for the Volumetric fog. Great! So I set up a flight for my A2A C172, took of towards a sky filled with clouds and after a minute...

11150307326_95377f1e6b_o.jpg

And that after in fact lowering my settings...!

Now this error may be due to OpusFSX (adding too much clouds maybe? Or perhaps OpusFSX is buggy?) but still... this is a big show stopper, of course. If going Back to reality brings me Back to hell... I am losing hope fast. Never ever had this in FSX. I own a GTX580 and maybe a GTX780 will solve this but who can guarantee that?

Bummer. Huge disappointment. As others posted a few times already: things may be fine with default stuff but what happens when you start using addons? Well, this, apparently...?

LOL Within one day I posted a topic called 'Jaw-dropping' followed by 'Back to reality' and now 'Back to hell'. I hope the line downwards stops here. :P

And guys call women fickle! :)  

Seriously, you really need to have a little patience . . . P3D 2.0 hasn't even been out a full week yet (and this past week was a 3-day work week for many US companies, as Thanksgiving was on Thursday), 

Upgrading to a 780 would improve your FPS, but your OOM message might have been caused because your settings were still too high, which caused you to run out of system memory. My 780 gives me a steady 50-60 FPS (outside of large cities), but I can still an get OOM crash if I have stuff like cloud density set too high. Reducing a few settings a bit got rid of my OOM issues, and P3D STILL looks way better than FSX.  I'm still loving P3D because I'm not trying to run it at the edge of what a 32-bit program can handle. 

But my only addons are FTX: Global and A2A's Piper Cub . . . I'm waiting for BOTH LM and the 3rd party developers to work out the kinks in v.2.0 before I add anything else.  FTX runs fine (no crash issues for me), but there are still some graphic glitches that they are trying to figure out. I would have bought A2A's C172 Trainer on day one, but it is not yet fully compatible with P3D v.2. 

P3D v.2 really needs to be 64-bit to run with some of the higher settings cranked up, and I'm sure that will eventually happen. The 4GB system memory limitation is what is now holding back the graphics. LM will likely be able to better optimize this in the coming weeks.

I'm VERY happy with what LM has released already.  It runs fine for me, because I'm running it at settings that can handle the 4GB of system memory limit, AND I've left all the settings alone and am just enjoying flying,  I'm also very optimistic about the future of P3D, as it is only going to get better.  I bet we see v.2.1 released in the very near future.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Gets more interesting every day.  I will continue to wait until Q1 to see what happens once PMDG comes out with their P3D compatible aircraft.  This whole things makes me think that if everyone put their full effort into developments for X-Plane, we would not be having any of these OOM conversations right now.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I have ordered a new video card, a 780Ti no less, in an attempt to make it work well enough to be my main sim.  Not everybody is in a position to spend that kind of cash, but since I have had my current cards for about two years, it is worth it for me. I very much want P3D to succeed for the future of the hobby. Right now FSX is still better for me and what I want out of a flight sim. but I am going to do my best to give P3D every chance to impress me.

The thing is if I absolutely knew that getting something like a 780 would be the be all and end all, and would allow me to run P3D fully with add-ons etc I'd get one, but at the moment I don't and its expensive.

That's the thing its a moving target at the moment, I could get a 780 and then find that with complex add-one, sceneries etc you still blow through your VRAM limit or it's just not sufficient.

I'll keep my 660 for the time being, if I don't see any improvement in another 53 days i'll cash in and purchase when cards, and P3D, have improved sufficiently, probably.

The way this whole P3D thing is unfolding is hilarious... and oh-so predictable. For weeks leading up to the release, it was the Second Coming, but  very, very quickly it's become the arrival of the AntiChrist (forgive the religious bent of that; Im an atheist). Now c'mon, we've seen this before, right?

Just flew with a heavy Orbx weather theme instead of OpusFSX (yes, I knew I said I wouldn't but I can't help myself LOL) and when I entered the clouds fsp went down to 17...?!? This isn't going too well. And yes, we've seen this before. ^_^ I sort of was hoping this wouldn't happen, obviously LOL. The next time a new sim comes around, remind me not too test it in one or two particular default situations but to simply fly as I want to: that's the only way to find out if things work or not.

I will await LM's patches.

I say "SO WHAT". We are humans, we are reacting as we should, with emotion. I'm sure things will get better but it is absolutely a moving target, I found the lower end Radeon R9 260x is out performing the 760 which probably has to do with the way it processes memory. 64 bit is the answer and a new code base which is probably some time out, in the mean time its here for us to complain about. 

That's the thing its a moving target at the moment, I could get a 780 and then find that with complex add-one, sceneries etc you still blow through your VRAM limit or it's just not sufficient.

I'll keep my 660 for the time being, if I don't see any improvement in another 53 days i'll cash in and purchase when cards, and P3D, have improved sufficiently, probably.

Agreed. That's how I am looking at this too right now. Goes to show how opinions can change within a day................ ^_^

I was disappointed that my Aerosoft Cheyenne won't install, it complains about not seeing the fsx config file. But we knew some of our payware wasn't going to work. 

I can't seem to get out of testing and doing short 5min flights to try out each setting. I have only three test flights set up to test each adjustment.

What's making it more time consuming is that I started in Eyefinity and then wanted to compare how it worked by using a single screen. This probably wasn't a great plan because you get to see the possibilities. I've had lots of wow moments during all this testing and that's the problem. Switching between scenarios shows up the benefits and flaws.

Then, because I just love Eyefinity I've got to start again. When using three screens, of course something has to give and it's about finding the maximum settings with the smoothest flight which will give a balanced optimum setting to cover all scenarios.

Clearly I've reached that point in FSX but it took me much longer than a few days to achieve.

If I was to offer a snap overview it would be this. If you go back to a clean cfg and use the default settings for your PC you get smooth flight, great lighting and cockpit shadows, volumetric clouds and fog. Autogen which goes on for ever and is really difficult to spot popping and a horizon that when seen from the air, looks so real. First impressions are amazing.

Then you start moving sliders to the right. And it looks even better and it's about what FPS are acceptable for smooth flight. The further to the right and the more options that you tick reduces the smoothness. And lowers the FPS. This of course is no surprise and two options are available. Option 1 is that the sim itself still needs some optimisation. Option 2 is that you need to buy the next generation hardware to slide right and tick more boxes. Of course, option 3 is to be satisfied with settings that are a little above what your used too in FSX with better performance and go fly. I'm sure I'll be getting to try option three at some point next week and will do a proper flight in both sims so that comparisons can be made.

It's taken me 7years to get FSX to where it is now. It's only fair that I try this one for at least a few weeks before I can offer a truly informed opinion.

The brightest stars burn out the fastest. I mean - from what I see - the people who do the most testing and tweaking are the ones that get burnt out the quickest.

To me I got burnt out last time a few months ago with FSX OOMs because I was pushing it to hard and always working on to many things - like repaints, building scenery, helping people, tweaking and not just spending my time flying.

I came back a few weeks ago and decided to just fly - no more of the repaints and scenery building.

I spent the weekends for the last 4 weeks adjusting FSX and going through ALLOT of OOMs. I just shrugged them off and did not ever let them discourage me. Big deal it is just something we accept if we choose FSX (or P3d). Nothing you can do about it - EXPECT to not let it get to you.

Turn down the sliders. Do not try for the cutting edge, stop tweaking and fly. Big deal if it does not look like real life.

And also know if it wasn't for tweaking and addons would you still be into the simulation anyways?

Just saying - If FSX came out of the box optimized and with every addon scenery, and plane included would you still be flying it?

Now I concentrate on learning the correct way to fly, comms, navigation, patterns, blah blah. And if P3D OOMs I just turn it down. I want to relax and fly - seems simple enough.

Nobody is fixing the FSX code....but LM.

Rob

"Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it"

No Kidding, people may actually go to FSX to get decent frame rates :blink:

Talk about irony!

The problem with P3D is it doesn't actually appear to have been Beta tested at all, or maybe we're the Beta team? who knows.

I expected, I know its a daft idea, that Lockheed Martin, a huge contractor in the aviation field, would have thoroughly tested their program and had it working 'out of the box' properly. It feels to some degree, though not as bad, like FSX again.

Like I said, I've got 60days but so have LM.

We are the beta testers and we paid/left a handsome deposit for that privilege.

I can't seem to get out of testing and doing short 5min flights to try out each setting. I have only three test flights set up to test each adjustment.

I'd stop doing that if I were you and start simply fying. Those short testingflights will turn out to be useless when you start doing some normal flights. You'll encounter situations you will never encounter in those short testflights.

Josh,

I read your posts carefully because we have the exact same set up - same CPU & OC, same GPU.  I was very happy with performance, only tweaking a couple of items from the recommended default.  Then I saw your sshots of your settings.  I changed mine to match.

Boy oh boy, did I notice the difference.  The smooth sim flying over Orbx England was no longer smooth, FPS reduced and VAS remaining in the title bar had dropped.  All this is pretty obvious but it just goes to show how overtaxing your system can really mess with your sim ...... and your head.

Dial the sliders back and enjoy flying again.

In case you are talking to me ^_^ I already dialed back my settings. They are like FSX now, the only difference being I am using tessellation, terrain shadows and the LOD is 6.5. Everything else is setup as if it was FSX (taking into account the different slider settings). But I just tried to do my previous flight a few times but even with the default Maule and an Orbx weather theme, I get OOM all the time. Seems my setup can't handle heavy clouds! All was fine until I tried to fly with a bit more clouds than default.

I might disable tesselation and hence also terrain shadows, so everything will be exactly like it is in FSX, but I tried that last friday already and performance was terrible. Seems to me that P3D really needs the DX11 options. Not strange because LM optimized (LOL) the sim for those. I will try it again though later on to see what happesn with heavy clouds.

Obvously I don't always want to fly with sunny weather and I don't want to fly with lower settings than FSX.

On my PC FSX would perform bad when I used too high settings but I never got OOM's. Seems to me LM needs to do some more work on it all...