Sign in to follow this  

Back to hell

What is your mesh setting? I got OOMs after only a couple of minutes at 1m but, once I gave up on the 3D waves and dialed the mesh back, OOMs pretty much disappeared at 10m.

What is embarrassing is a lot of people are getting this with default scenery and even planes and more and more and more lower settings to derpy levels. Could you imagine forking over for  a batch of professional licenses and  setting this up in a class room training session and having a student who pays a handsome chunk of change for flight lessons get an OOM error?

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I really don't think it's embarrassing to LM that if a user chooses settings that exceed the hardware capabilities of that user's computer, it crashes.

There is hardware that can run it maxed. I'm not paying for that hardware, but the people who do should benefit from it.

Hey can anyone help me get my Joystick to work, I do know I need the FSUIPC but it installs to the default FSX directory. Is it just a matter of extracting the .dll file and placing it in the appropriate folder on the root prepar3d? Currently it works somewhat but my buttons don't follow their mapped position and it doesn't work for taxiing at all.

I really don't think it's embarrassing to LM that if a user chooses settings that exceed the hardware capabilities of that user's computer, it crashes.

There is hardware that can run it maxed. I'm not paying for that hardware, but the people who do should benefit from it.

That's not quite accurate, though. It's not about running into hardware limitations - almost everyone these days is running 8gbs or more of RAM. The issue is running into P3D's 32 bit VAS limit, just like FSX. Currently, P3D v2 seems to be running into this 4gb even faster than FSX did. If you have to drop your sliders really low to FSX-like levels (or even lower) to be 100% sure of no OOMs... what exactly have we gained here?

Turn your LOD radius down.

6.5 is going to cause OOM errors in both sims and it's known to be the #1 thing to induce OOM errors on the FSX/ESP engine.

Now that autogen populates to the edge of the LOD setting a really high LOD radius isn't as necessary. The way the atmospherics work now it also hides further texturing better.

In FSX I used 5.5 because it would help hide the autogen popup in further distances. That's not an issue anymore.

And to clarify matters, autogen is not affected by the LOD slider. It's going to draw to the same distance regardless of what you set the slider at. The LOD slider just affects ground textures.

That's not quite accurate, though. It's not about running into hardware limitations - almost everyone these days is running 8gbs or more of RAM. The issue is running into P3D's 32 bit VAS limit, just like FSX. Currently, P3D v2 seems to be running into this 4gb even faster than FSX did. If you have to drop your sliders really low to FSX-like levels (or even lower) to be 100% sure of no OOMs... what exactly have we gained here?

Better graphics and better performance?  That's what I'm getting, anyway.

I'd be satisfied with FSX-equivalent graphics and performance, with cockpit and terrain shadows and no more autogen popping up right in front of the plane.  I got that, and then some more.

Ermmmmm...............

Didn't we have this problem if you can call it that when FSX was first released as it was way ahead of the available hardware at the time.

At least Prepar3d 2 uses the graphics card a lot more so it is a fairly easy upgrade as and when required.

Dave

I have never had an OOM error, either in FSX or P3D. I guess I am either very lucky or just using very primitive add-ons, your choice!

My concern is that, for me, and I can only speak for me, P3D looks and feels a LOT like FSX when you set it so that you get similar performance. I plunked down the $200 as a nice guy and because I really want it to succeed. Hence the purchase of the 780ti that should arrive tomorrow.

I knew that the flight models, ATC, scenery etc. were going to be unchanged. The flight models and ATC would actually be the very first thing I would have hoped they were going to improve if they were marketing this as a "simulation" as opposed to a "gaming product", but I knew going into the purchase that they were untouched. I am surprised that many of the same issues that plagued FSX are the same ones we are dealing with now. Given the very short Beta period, I think it is altogether fair to say that we are Beta testing it now. Call it Beta, part 2.

But, I am still hopeful that things will improve. I have no intention of returning P3D. There really seems to me to be no other realistic alternative than to ride this out and hope for the best. But that doesn't mean we can't express our disappointment that things weren't done better. It doesn't make us cry-babies or impatient. It just means we want to see the problems corrected. I'll still be flying and watching in the meantime.

- Bill Magann

@J van E:

Ever thought about your PC is actually not really good enough to run the ambitious settings you demand from P3D?

I mean, an i5 2500K - a 3 year old GTX580 card with 1.5 VRam, and on top, 1600 Mhz CL8 Ram...

Turn down the settings, or get new hardware, or maybe better: 

Back to FSX.

I am getting more and more confused by the conflicting information regarding P3Dv2 being deposited on this forum. It's times like this when I wonder if I should just give up flight simulation, and start a Scrabble league instead. I would like to think that a graphics card upgrade would allow me to run P3Dv2 with AI and autogen at maximum settings, but.......

* Will my payware addons work in P3D?

* Will I be allowed to use those payware addons in P3D?

* Will I actually see a reduction in OOMs at comparable FSX settings in P3D?

* Is 2GB VRAM enough to eliminate stutters at busy airports @ 1280x1024x32bit resolution on a single monitor?

* Do I have the required security clearance to purchase P3D?

Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.3Ghz

8GB DDR3-1600 RAM

1GB GeForce GTX 560Ti

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

:huh:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I am getting more and more confused by the conflicting information regarding P3Dv2 being deposited on this forum. It's times like this when I wonder if I should just give up flight simulation, and start a Scrabble league instead. I would like to think that a graphics card upgrade would allow me to run P3Dv2 with AI and autogen at maximum settings, but.......

* Is 2GB VRAM enough to eliminate stutters at busy airports @ 1280x1024x32bit resolution on a single monitor?

Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.3Ghz

8GB DDR3-1600 RAM

1GB GeForce GTX 560Ti

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

:huh:

50/50 chance

What's allowed and what you actually do is two stories.. Pick one.. 

Two days ago I couldn't honestly answer this. Today.. I can.. No you won't see a reduction.  You may even see an increase

Yes/No.. Settings etc.. 

@!$!@#!$J▐ç¢☼6╓ __ NO CARRIER

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

'Back to hell'. I hope the line downwards stops here. :P

It doesn't get any more 'downward' that that does it? :diablo:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Hey can anyone help me get my Joystick to work, I do know I need the FSUIPC but it installs to the default FSX directory. Is it just a matter of extracting the .dll file and placing it in the appropriate folder on the root prepar3d? Currently it works somewhat but my buttons don't follow their mapped position and it doesn't work for taxiing at all.

Have you figured out yet why no-one has responded to your post? This thread is about some poor soul suffering from OOMs <_<

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.