Sign in to follow this  

Back to hell

It's still a very powerful system. You don't absolutely need a maxed out overclocked up-to-the-minute system to run P3D v2 or FSX at decent settings. The Sandy Bridge processors are still very powerful by today's standards. The thread you linked is about upgrading from an old Bloomfield CPU, which is much older and definitely a lot slower than Sandy Bridge.

Also, the i5 has always been around. It's essentially an i7 without hyperthreading, which makes little or no difference in FSX and P3D.

Wrong, just wrong, sorry...

Larger cache, good for FSX, whatever bla-bla people say, listen to the man:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/nickn-i5-2500k-or-i7-2600k-solved_topic38910.html

What I don´t agree about with Nick is Hyperthreading, I find it very useful.

Upgrade is needed, i5 is what? - 3 year old tech now?

An overclocked i5 2500k is still a very powerful CPU. It isn't as if clock speeds have gone through the roof in those three years since Sandy Bridge was released. Of course the motherboards, memory bandwidth and bus speeds have all been improved, but the difference in performance will be nothing like it used to be over a period of three years when clock speed was everything.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Well, I had a revelation, or should I say an education. Like many of you, I was trying all sorts of things with Nvidia inspector, adjusting sliders, running unlimited, etc. Nothing was working just the way I wanted it and I have a pretty powerful system.

SO, I deleted the cfg file and let P3D2 rebuild.

It locked my frames at 20, gave me a TBM of 30. Originally I had kicked them up to 30 and 120 respectively as I had in FSX. I left  them as is and started testing, same flight but increasing sliders each time.

Well for all you frame rate junkies, I suggest you turn it OFF - I currently run 20fps - 30TBM with all sliders MAXED with these exceptions:

Water is at high not ultra

the 3 autogens are at very dense

Shadows are at medium

all traffic is 30%

I have never seen anything so smooth. Tried the default a/c - loaded the Milviz Cessna 310 - even tried the default FSX B737. Smooth as silk - oh - I live right off the runway at KBUR so that's where my test flight was which puts me right into KLAX high density area which would always have a drop in FPS in FSX.

Was also flying with AS2012 clouds and weather.

I suspect that as I add various complex add-ons like traffic, etc I will have to adjust sliders downward as I go but this IS encouraging.

I haven't had an OOM yet.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

(I use REX only for the clouds.)

Just a thought, that perhaps your REX setting has the clouds at a much higher resolution than 1024 inadvertantly?  Do some VAS tests with process monitor or the FSUIPC tweak and see what they are with and without REX clouds.  I always do tests in the PNW has it seems to be the hardest test in all categories and if it passes there, then everywhere else will be reasonably handled. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Jeroen, try running without OPUS. There are apparent issues with the weather injection (visibility, coverage, fog layers, etc). Will wait until they get those sorted out before I re-enable it...

An overclocked i5 2500k is still a very powerful CPU. It isn't as if clock speeds have gone through the roof in those three years since Sandy Bridge was released. Of course the motherboards, memory bandwidth and bus speeds have all been improved, but the difference in performance will be nothing like it used to be over a period of three years when clock speed was everything.

I find it very, very ironic that the exact "of courses" you mention IMO precisely HAS improved performance, but you say the opposite, any tests/proof to that?

Again, an upgrade IS needed, or turn down the settings!

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/421968-replacing-i7-930-system/page-2

Once again you posted a thread about upgrading from an original i7 930, NOT a Sandy Bridge.

We're all just going to have to agree to disagree. You won't be convincing the MANY people on this forum who are running Sandy Bridge CPUs happily and smoothly that they suddenly MUST upgrade to enjoy FSX and P3D...

BTW There is a lot of talk about VRAM and everyone is scared that P3D will reach the limit of that but P3D gives me the OOM message when my system RAM reaches 4 GB... So no matter how much VRAM I would get on a new GPU, that would never help with this problem, would it...? Or am I confusing things?

BTW Where can I download that utility that shows you the current usage of RAM and VRAM in the top left corner, as I've seen on a few screenshots?

@molleh:

Ok, here you go then:

"Haswell will outrun SB clock per clock at any CPU speed"

http://www.simforums.com/forums/sandybridgee-3970x-vs-haswell-4770k_topic46196.html

A pity this expert by the name of NickN is no longer present here, lots of stupidity and hearsay could be avoided.

Ugh.. He's not complaining about FPS...  He's complaining what everyone has complained about with FSX and Prepar3D since the day before forever.. VAS usage..  You have people with 6 and 12 core CPU's that can get an OOM.. 

Clock for Clock..   

Sounds significant until you actually show what "clock for clock" actually results in..  It's what everyone else knows who doesn't throw buzzwords around to make themselves sound more "in the know" then the next guy.. The margin is minimal and exactly what I said.. You see it in benchmarks. 

http://www.itworld.com/hardware/365695/sandy-bridge-haswell-upgrade-wont-blow-your-hair-back

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Ugh.. He's not complaining about FPS...  He's complaining what everyone has complained about with FSX and Prepar3D since the day before forever.. VAS usage..  You have people with 6 and 12 core CPU's that can get an OOM.. 

Clock for Clock..   

Sounds significant until you actually show what "clock for clock" actually results in..  It's what everyone else knows who doesn't throw buzzwords around to make themselves sound more "in the know" then the next guy.. The margin is minimal and exactly what I said.. You see it in benchmarks. 

http://www.itworld.com/hardware/365695/sandy-bridge-haswell-upgrade-wont-blow-your-hair-back

I don´t care about benchmarks re. FSX, let the nerds do that, and I don´t care about FPS, I passed though that phase, LOL!

Smoothness, that´s the issue..

VAS and OOM? 

Turn down settings, remove add ons, NGX, Aerosoft Amsterdam, (hellhole, useless..) ORBX (some of it) - or do something, maybe run a Vanilla FSX, yeah!

I began in 2009 with a HP Pavilion PC with an AMD Phenom 9650 2.3 Ghz Quad, Nvidia GT9600 card, some DDR2 Ram, and I tweaked and tweaked, and got it running, nice, smooth, no problems, how could I do that?

Because I did not overload the 32bit Sim!!!

Why do people still demand the impossible from this old game, why??

I don´t care about benchmarks re. FSX, let the nerds do that, and I don´t care about FPS, I passed though that phase, LOL!

Smoothness, that´s the issue..

VAS and OOM? 

Turn down settings, remove add ons, NGX, Aerosoft Amsterdam, (hellhole, useless..) ORBX (some of it) - or do something, maybe run a Vanilla FSX, yeah!

I began in 2009 with a HP Pavilion PC with an AMD Phenom 9650 2.3 Ghz Quad, Nvidia GT9600 card, some DDR2 Ram, and I tweaked and tweaked, and got it running, nice, smooth, no problems, how could I do that?

Because I did not overload the 32bit Sim!!!

Why do people still demand the impossible from this old game, why??

That's great, come in here talking like you know everything about hardware and then when solid proof comes up, "oh I don't care about benchmarks."  Yes "stupidity" indeed. Also nice to see you started off with an HP in 2009.  I was tweaking my 486 sx 33mhz, yes sx without the math coprocessor, to run old school flight simulator in 93.  I'm not new around these parts ;)

Er.....does fitting a coprocessor to my 25Mhz 386SX back in 1992 make me a pro? :huh: I needed it for a piece of software called Dance of the Planets (ARC Science Simulations).

EDIT: On a side note, I see that my name is still listed on the product page (I sent them updated orbital elements for comets and 100 of the brightest main belt asteroids back in 2008) B)

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png