Sign in to follow this  

Back to hell

I added global A2a 172 then REX and then finally Opus.

OMM after OMM after OMM

I uninstall P3D v2 reinstalled and then only installed Global base fps unlimited where 72 with the base line setting I added one setting at a time until fps went down to 60 and that's it. That's my base line with these " light" aircraft.

Then I have only added airports that have a true p3d v2 install. With KIAD instated I can fly around that ares with fps locked at 33.

IMHO addons can trigger it and I have no idear who's and whys.

Uninstall it, install global as IMHO that's not the problem do your tests run again and then see. My money is you will not get an OOM

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

@ jeroen

Just another thought. I was wondering if in pushing the 580 so hard, its not suddenly throttling back, and trying to unsuccessfully dump something out from VRAM, into VAS. We don't really understand (at least I don't) what happens when VRAM fills up, where does P3D find extra space for stuff that is supposed to go into / was already in the GPU memory or how does it shuffle and re-prioritize what is in there?.

Maybe someone can shed some light on this.

Rob

Robin Harris

With Jeroen reporting an OOM at 2.5GB on PE, I find myself wondering if these OOMs are related to running out of VRAM rather than system RAM.

Running a 4GB GTX680 here and 6GB (of 16GB total--10GB reserved as a disk cache) of available system RAM...have seen a couple CTDs for "illegal pure virtual function call" but no OOMs, even with crazy-high slider settings.

Hmmmmmm

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

You don't get OOMs from running out of VRAM. It will just make the sim stutter when you hit the roof.

Instead of speculation it is easy to measure VRAM and VAS usage with GPU-Z and Process Explorer. Both freeware programs.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I'm back to FSX, got tired of tweaking and testing. I could never really get any consistent anything. I spent 45 minutes tweaking my flight controls, logged on this morning and they were gone. I will keep a close eye on things but I miss flying the Aerosoft Cheyenne and with the upgrades to my hardware to accommodate Prepar I have some pretty sweet FSX Scenery going on. 

Well, my problem is that even when I don't do anything too odd, P3D gives me odd OOMs

Just out of curiosity, what was the result when you had a new cfg built?  Seems like the cfg can get corrupted quickly that inhibits alot of things whether from addons, or p3d itself. 

No OOMs here but as Bob mentioned I just got 2 virtual function call CTDs in a row. No idea what the heck that is.

Then I have only added airports that have a true p3d v2 install.

Just a heads up. True p3dV2 install doesnt mean its optimized and tested for V2. The installers are just recognizing the p3dv2 path in the registry so it can be installed properly. I think these 3PDs will have to do some work to do these optimizations. its not like p3d 1.4 where it was pretty much a simple port. This is DX11 and it seems to be a totally different wavelength and doesnt like DX9 and 10 stuff very much. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

I know you've probably done it but after I do a lot of slider moving and after I loaded Norway I deleted my shaders and cfg just so I could start from a known position.

Yes that's true but I test after each install only then you can see where it goes wrong.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

OOM hunting in FSX is all about CONSEQUENTLY adjusting your settings.. No HW involved..

I'd bet this game didn't change with P3Dv2

Unless you've already testet ALL of the following TOGETHER:

• go down with REX clouds not higher then 1024x1024
  • reduce the cloud draw distance to 60mi max
  • Sceneriy complexity, AG vegetation & buildings to normal
  • TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=2048
  • LOD=4.5

Again: Do it consequently, or you won't succeed..

Once your settled you might be able to increase SINGLE parameters, but not all.

You want to capture the GS for a safe landing? .. you'll need to capture it from below ;-)

Joerg Alvermann
Win10 Pro 64Bit - i9-9900KS - GTX980Ti 6GB - 5760x1200

Don't know if it's already been noted, but.  I had irst OOM for ages when I first ran V2 with Opus and many clouds.  I got a "Fixit"  for OOM from MS (google it) and also bethought myself to install the famous 4GB fix I've always run on FSX.  Now been running all week with Opus over V2 and  - horrendous weather, heavy cloud from 1000 up to around 14000, thunderstorm and whatever today, water reflections on, ground shadows on, cockpit also, no OOM whatsoever on a 3 hour 1000 nauticals flight.  AND I got rarely for a couple of seconds below 35 FPS, in or out of VC using Tom Ruth Voyager. next I'll try volumetric fog with the Opus beta for it.  670 OC on 2700K at 4500.

FWIW, it may help

Okay, unfortunately I don't have any more time to test this but I can say that I just ran a test that did not end with an OOM. While all my other tests would result in an OOM within 1 to 4 minutes, I just flew around 15 minutes without an OOM. Now of course 15 minutes isn't long enough to REALLY test this so I will go on testing tomorrow evening. This might have been sheer luck. But maybe some of you who also have had some OOMs can give this a try too.

But let me first say that during the last 10 minutes I had every and I mean EVERY slider FULL RIGHT, all options enabled, and I mean ALL options enabled. REALLY ALL! I'm not kidding. Obviously performance was total and utter crap, but... I did not get an OOM! With every option enabled VAS was (according to PE) around 2.800.000 so not even touching 3.00.000! I flew the last 5 or so minutes with time accel at 4x so I could cover a lot of ground and (perhaps) load as much into VAS as I could... still no OOM. VAS had slowly been build up, no jumps or spikes, it simply went higher as I loaded more data.

Imho (though maybe and probably a bit premature) this means that OOMs are NOT caused by P3D, no matter how high your settings are. So if you got an OOM and solved it by lowering some P3D settings, you simply and only LOWERED the total of VAS so that whatever DID cause the OOM didn't get the change anymore!
With every P3D option on (and again, I mean every option and slider!) VAS is something like 2.800.000 but whatever is causing the OOM is adding so much RAM at a certain point, probably a glitch, that VAS passes the limit. But when you use lower settings and get for instance a VAS of around 2.000.000, whatever is causing the OOM doesn't cause an OOM anymore because it would have to add too much data to reach the limit. (Are you still with me? LOL)

Anyway, as I said, with P3D at full force I did not get an OOM, so P3D can't be the problem. (And this is of course very interesting for those who have had OOMs and dialled back P3D settings in order to prevent them. It you find out what IS causing those OOMs, you might not have to use those dialled back settings...!) So I also loaded the A2A C172, the Norway freeware, I reloaded the REX cloud textures... with all that and all silders full right I didn't get an OOM. And because in my previous tests I got an OOM within a few minutes everytime I think you can say that whatever I did to prevent the OOM seems to work and was the cause of the OOM. Or better said, was the cause of the sudden spike in memory that caused the OOM.

So now you all wonder what I did? And what was the cause of the OOM in my case? (YMMV!)

I uninstalled FTX Global.................

So maybe some of you (like Arwen or NyxxUK who I know do have FTX Global installed and had OOMs) would take the time to test this also. I know that a few of you have reported OOMs and a lot of that few have FTX Global installed and just like me you never thought that could be the cause of your OOMs because it was 2.0 compatible. Well, you might want to give it a try. Uninstall FTX Global, start a flight with no other addons active, put your sliders to the right as you like them (or completely right for this test's sake), load some heavy weather, go fly and add addons as you go. Check your VAS if possible: how much VAS is being used? Is it steady? And let me know when you are getting OOMs again. (I always took of from ENBM Bomoen during my tests, flying around the city and the mountains around it, so you might give that a try also).

It's late here and I am going to bed. I am looking forward to all the replies tomorrow... ^_^

A response from Wes at LM on OOMs:

Please don't take such an aggressive stance. We are here to help, and we appreciate all the help you all give to other users, and give to other users outside these Prepar3D.com forums as well.

We have added lots of new options in Prepar3D v2. Not all systems can run them all at max, we agree - that was by design. It was designed with an architecture to scale in to the future. Every user and use is different, you will have to find a balance for your hardware, training, and desired immersion. If you want 4096 textures you might not be able to have reflections on all, and also your terrain casting shadows, for example. If you lower your texture resolution, you might have more resources available for more reflections, or more autogen. This was partly the reason we set up the named graphical profiles. If you'll be flying over land, max your autogen and dial back your reflections and water detail to have more resources available for shadows, etc. If you're going to be up around water areas, lower your autogen building slider, up your vegetation and get those vegetation shadows casting on to the terrain.

You can't really make an "apples to apples" comparison with any of the systems from legacy (legacy meaning no longer actively developed or supported) products, they are so different now they can't be compared. Take for example the autogen systems. They are not the same. The old system couldn't keep a cache and things just popped up in clusters, the new one does not, unless you severely outrun the engine, then it will pop in until it catches up.

Same with the LOD radius. It does not mean the same anymore as it did. The highest setting in v2 is not the same 6.5 you're used to in previous products. There are a dozen or so different factors that go into that slider and it's settings. The Ultra setting there you might not be able to tell much of a different from high, but the system resource usage is much higher. If you're only caring about terrain textures you'll see that settings it any higher than high likely will not change your terrain texture resolution and the distance it is loaded in at. But it might change a dozen other things that consume system resources you are not concerned about.

Shadows are a big piece of what takes GPU vram. We have LOTS of options in there, understand what they all do. If something is set to cast, it can cast onto other categories set to receive. If you're flying low you might want to choose to have your vegetation and buildings receive the shadows of others, or you might not. This all comes with resource usage and a performance take.

So, with all that said, please take some time to start with conservative settings, see what you're seeing and then evaluate and then dial things up from there. That is why we gave so many checkboxes for reflections, shadows, new sliders for autogen and scenery complexity, etc. While we did go in and make all these systems much more efficient, they are also much different than their previous counterparts, and drawing more (sometimes drawing things you don't immediately see so you don't see stutters), or paging in more, or loading more in the background so you don't notice the blurring or popping, etc. It is not a matter of us not testing, or folks not beta testing, etc. Each option comes with a performance or system resource usage - if you're running the latest i7 and a Titan, chances are you can run close to maximum settings.

If you're running an older system, then we hope for the price you can be satisfied and find a smoother and more immersive training and learning platform that is being supported and actively developed.

Wes Bard
Software Manager - Prepar3D® Team

If FTX Global is the main culprit of OOMs, then something must be done about it. It's an important add-on since it greatly enhances the look of all that 2006 scenery, and once openLC and Vector are out, matters might become even worse.

Could you imagine forking over for  a batch of professional licenses and  setting this up in a class room training session and having a student who pays a handsome chunk of change for flight lessons get an OOM error?

My exact thought.... This software is used far beyond our little niche community.