Sign in to follow this  
blackburst

Move FSX and PMDG 737 to SSD

Folks,

I want to move FSX and PMDG to a SSD, can I just remove all the software and install again on SSD.

Can I use same reg file from PMDG, its still the same computer, so IP.

Running W7-64

What I would do is see about moving the FSX directory to the SSD and then adding a symbolic link (search Google for more info) where the FSX folder used to be, which should make it as if FSX was never moved at all. The other plus here is you can simply move the directory back if something goes wrong.

I have the same question. Can I just drag the directory to my new SSD? I also am running Windows 7/64. My FSX is currently running on my C: drive with Windows which is also a SSD.

Thank you,

I have the same question. Can I just drag the directory to my new SSD? I also am running Windows 7/64. My FSX is currently running on my C: drive with Windows which is also a SSD.

Thank you,

That would mess up the registry entries so I don't think FSX would work properly after that.

I would rather suggest  backing up all the relevant folders (such as Simobjects/Airplanes, Textures, Addon Scenery etc) and then doing a full proper reinstall of FSX to your new drive and after that you could just drag those old folders containing your addons in. Not sure if PMDG 737NGX and other complex addons like that would work without doing actual reinstall using the installer (I think they wouldn't), however at least most scenery addons should work if you copy the correct folders and add them back to library... 

Regards

Joona L

I did the drag and drop method  and ended up regretting it. I was trying to avoid reinstalling everything, but in the end the registry was so messed up it took forever to fix. Would have been easier to uninstall and then reinstall.

Thanks guys for saving me a headache. I"ll do a reinstall!