Sign in to follow this  
Alex Kulak

PMDG not stopping fast enough

Hi my PMDG 737-700 is not stopping fast enough. i came in with an ias of 145 flaps set 30degrees.

autosbrakes set to 3 on a 6446 runway at chicago midway. when i touched down spoilers went up and autobrakes were enabled. the autobrakes didnt go down until my nose wheel touched the ground. by that time i was 3/4 down the runway. then the autobrakes went on and off and i did not bounce. can somebody please help me with this problem.

Did you use reverse thrust?  You nose wheel should have touched down well before 3/4 of the runway.  Check your landing technique.

Rob

Did you use reverse thrust?  You nose wheel should have touched down well before 3/4 of the runway.  Check your landing technique.

Rob

It has to be his technique, also he may be trimmed way too nose up.

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

can somebody please help me with this problem.

Do the tutorial flights.  You need to learn the basics.  Does your reverse thrust work?

no i the trim is good i did the tutorial flights. the nose gear came down well before 1/2 the runway. then the auto brakes came on. then they went off and on. the reverse thrusters also didnt reverse till the nose gear was on the ground i come in ILS never RNAV or VISUAL

Sounds like you are coming in nose too high, so it's your landing technique.  Reverse thrust can come on before your nose wheel touches down if you've activated it.  Check your installation.and run the approach and landing tutorials again.

Rob

The landing speed is correct ?  I mean, sometimes my landing speed, depending on the load, runway conditions etc... is around 136 knots.

A correct landing speed and an earlier nose down attitude will help a bit.

I can stop the 737-700NGX on a 6000 feet runway with a 50 per cent fuel load without using the thrust reversers, so something is indeed amiss. The only difference is that I use manual brakes. I think the approach speed is around 135 knots.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I can stop the 737-700NGX on a 6000 feet runway with a 50 per cent fuel load without using the thrust reversers, so something is indeed amiss. The only difference is that I use manual brakes. I think the approach speed is around 135 knots.

I always had the impression ( maybe wrong, because I am only a simmer ) that reverse thrusts on the NGX are " too gentle ". Am I correct or is it just a wrong perception of whom is not a real 737 pilot ?

The effect of reverse thrust in terms of braking in real life is pretty much negligible, at least on a dry runway.

The effect of reverse thrust on noise however, is far less negligible. That's why people assume reverse thrust is an awesome stopping power, because they hear it, a lot.

I always had the impression ( maybe wrong, because I am only a simmer ) that reverse thrusts on the NGX are " too gentle ". Am I correct or is it just a wrong perception of whom is not a real 737 pilot ?

Reverse thrust has no effect on stopping distance when combined with Autobrakes. Even if manual braking is used the amount of stopping power from reverse thrust is still small but most effective whilst still at high speed during the rollout.

Regards

Rob Prest

Don't the autobrakes try to maintain a predefined deceleration rate? So reverse thrust should be largely irrelevant?

EDIT:

Thanks, Rob! :lol:

Yes correct :) Reverse thrust saves on brake life since the Autobrakes have to do less work, also keeps the brake temps down.

Rob Prest

Reverse thrust has no effect on stopping distance when combined with Autobrakes. Even if manual braking is used the amount of stopping power from reverse thrust is still small but most effective whilst still at high speed during the rollout.

Regards

I didn't get it. Do you mean that reverse thrusts effectiveness is directly proportional to the speed on the runway ?  I thought the reverse effectiveness should be always the same from when applied to around 60 knots when disengaged.