Sign in to follow this  
Mephic

Newb bought FSX - newb wants to switch to P3dV2. Advice needed.

Hello

I am a new fan of flight sims, started around 3 weeks ago. Decided to buy Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and FSX Gold Edition to check if this is what I want to do. I tried many sim games before and became quite profficient in them, so needed a new challenge - and heard that flying is a way to go. And it was indeed. 

After 3 weeks I finished FSX Flying School, got through some missions (although I am totally not into stuff like this) and discovered best thing I could - Free Flights. Not long after that I already equipped myself with REX + OD, FTX GLOBAL and GSX, now I am also waiting for Saitek Flight Yoke System with rudder pedals and Autopilot gauges from Saitek (yes, I really got into this SIM and I have to admit - I will be a huge addict soon). 

These addons mentioned above suit my needs for now - I don't need any planes, nor airports - I am new here and I want to master vanilla planes which I love to fly (Bombardier CRJ-700 & Boeing 737-800 are currently my two favourite planes). I can fly Vor to Vor, I know how to land using ILS, yesterday I landed my 737-800 manually in very tough weather conditions in Kaliningrad (airport without ILS, didn't use charts yet because I didn't learn much about them yet, so it was a totally visual approach with some NBD on my way and guidance from ATC) which was uber cool experience (I am using REX Real Weather Engine so I knew what to expect when I checked the weather data online).  I am not good at this sim offcourse -  but what I like about it is that it is actually easy to learn and really, really hard to master. I already downloaded checklists for my favourite planes together with manuals and got through them few times to remember most important things, still got to have them open during flight and reading all the time when I'm cruising 0,76 MACH on 35k feet. :) 

Now Prepar 3dV2 was released and I have to admit - I didn't see that coming. When I bought FSX one month ago I didn't even know there is something like P3D. I would like to switch - now I know that FSX has no future anymore. But I have few, maybe newbie questions: 

1. Is Prepar 3dV2 same as FSX in the matter of free flights? Is there a flight planner? Can I use it just like FSX? 

2. Will Prepar 3dV2 work flawlessly with my GSX, REX and FTX Global? 

3. Is Prepar 3dV2 more expanded in the matter of flying planes (switches & stuff - I'm talking about vanilla planes). 

4. Does Prepar 3dV2 have all FSX vanilla planes and do they differ anyway? 

5. Most important - what is the step by step instruction to use FTX Global, REX and GSX with Prepar 3dV2 with the same licenses keys that I have for FSX? How should I proceed with installation after buying PreparV2? 

6. Are there any other important things which I should keep in mind when switching (considering I'm new to flight sims)? 

I am new here, English is not my main language, sorry for any mistakes and please have some mercy when replying. :) 

FTX Global, REX, and GSX all are natively supported in v2.0 so if those are your important addons you are in luck. Download the latest installers and you are good to go.

The default planes are better in V2.0 by a mile as an overall group. 

Yes, there is a flight planner and free flight. It's just like FSX in that regard.

Before you switch tell me your system specs. 

The default planes are better in V2.0 by a mile as an overall group.

But, mind you, there are no modern commercial airlines

@Bonchie: 

CPU: Core i5 3570K overclocked to 4,6 GHz

GPU: GTX 660Ti MSI PE OC, clocked to 1280 MHz on core and 7000 on memory chips

RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3

Regular, old, but still working Samsung Spin Point F1 as an HDD (500 GB)

This above lets me use FSX maxed out (I mean totally maxed out together with REX maxed out) 1920x1080 comfortable (sometimes I get FPS drops on big airports with lot of traffic but I can deal with it.  

@RWFeldman: OK, that means quite lot to me. I like airliners/big jets :) - are there any available? I like to use GSX for my imaginated passenger flights. :)

You can copy default aircrafts from FSX to P3D v2.

Best regards from RelaxX