Sign in to follow this  
Baylorguy

FSX to Xplane 10 Convert

Well... I did something I never thought I would do.  I just purchased the full global version of Xplane 10.  Long story short, multiple OOMs recently... even with Prepar3d 2.0 was the last straw.  I will keep my FSX installation since I invested so much money, but all future funds will go to building up Xplane 10.

From what I get the following is currently lacking in Xplane 10:

ATC

AI Aircraft

Detailed Airports

I can live with this... and I am very encouraged that REX (they are a must on FSX) is releasing a product for Xplane 10.  Also excited that PMDG will be releasing a product (they are hands down the best aircraft in FSX) for Xplane 10 and that Aerosoft has joined the ranks.  Xplane 10 demo really blew me away... As of right now I can fly on max settings (i7 4770K overclocked to 4.4 GHz and superclocked GTX 780) and to be honest... the default scenery looked better and more fluid than much of my add on scenery.  The lighting is absolutely phenomenal, and it is my opinion the night lights are by far the most realistic.  I have an add on from a major scenery developer of FSX... and their nightlights look... eh... let's just say a bit fake.  I am coming to Xplane 10 because I see soooooo much potential; however, I also see as it is right now a very immersive simulation.

Can someone please give me some tips on the best scenery to buy?  For weather packages I will be getting REX.  Just as FSX had a standard of something everyone should have... I want tips on some must haves.  Also, what aircraft would you recommend?  I am more into heavies and regional jets.  I already purchasd the CRJ 200 by Javier Rollon and I am tempted to pickup the NEO A320.  

Also, do I need to purchase any kind of viewing software to walk around the planes on the interior?  This looks really neat but have not been able to figure it out on the demo version.  Anyway, I am really excited... can't wait to jump into Xplane 10.

as a new xplaner myself these questions are really good ones and i feel like the seasoned xplaners should write a guide for us noobs who have just adopted this platform.

however i been on this forum for a while and i think you should get the new HD mesh v2 that was released about a week ago. it seams like it really brings up the quality of xplane mesh. another recommendation would be for you to pick up the urbanmaxx and skymaxx addon, i know the urban maxx is really cheap and adds more of an immersion quality to the cities. skymaxx looks like its a bit expensive but from what i hear it really gives xplane a new life. 

good luck

As far as scenery goes, I've not spent a cent on it since there's such a wealth of freeware options available out there. The quality of offerings can vary wildly, but XPScenery is a handy site that should at least make locating various packages a breeze. Check out the airport scenery by the ISDG and Freddy De Pues for top-notch freeware.

I haven't spent much time with the CRJ 200, but it has served as a gold standard for complex systems simulation in the X-Plane community for a long time now; you can't go wrong with it. The JARDesign A320 NEO used to be a little rough around the edges but has developed into a formidable Airbus simulation over the past few months. I haven't tried the newly released v2, but I have racked up tons of hours in earlier versions of the add-on. I don't think you'd be disappointed. I don't fly FSX, but I have seen Jcomm singing the praises of the A320 NEO around these parts, so you might want to ask him about how it stacks up to something like the Aerosoft Airbus. You also might want to check out the new Flight Factor 757 Professional, which has been pretty well received. DDenn's Bombardier Challenger 300 is another great little jet, though it still lacks the promised custom FMC. Nonetheless, a lot of fun to fly and very well simulated.

Regarding the camera: any 3D camera view can be panned left, right, up, and down with the arrow keys, and forward and backward with the , and . keys (you can also press C to get a free-floating camera). This is how you navigate your aircraft and view the cabin--no add-ons required! On that note, though, the HeadShake plug-in is free, lightweight, adjustable, and adds some much needed g-force, ground roll, and engine vibration induced headshake to the sim.

Hope this helps!

so, do I need to purchase any kind of viewing software to walk around the planes on the interior?  This looks really neat but have not been able to figure it out on the demo version

No special software, just press [shift]+ 9 and you can move around the inside of the plane (I use a mouse to look around, I  just press the right-mouse button to activate the mouse look) to "walk" around use the arrow keys (up,down) increases/decreases your height, and (left,right) is slide left/right, the comma and period keys [ , ] [ . ] walks forwards and backwards. Pressing [shift] while holding any of these keys makes you walk faster. Oh almost forgot the scroll key on your mouse behaves like the [ + ] and [ - ] keys which is to zoom in and out.

If you want a slight head motion you can activate the cinema verite mode ( [shift]+ c ) however there is a free plugin you can download which is offers more robust head movements. 

another recommendation would be for you to pick up the urbanmaxx

I'm not sure if this is the case anymore. Urban areas got a nice improvement with the 10.25 update especially when combined with alpilotx's HD mesh (which covers nearly all of North America, and Europe). If you have a powerful enough computer you should try increasing the details it's much improved. 

however ... if you have a mid-range card or older CPU urbanmaxx is a good recommendation.

Can someone please give me some tips on the best scenery to buy?

First of all, have you updated X-Plane to the latest version 10.25?

As already suggested above, the must-have scenery improvement is the (recently released) donation-ware HD mesh v2. It introduces improved meshes, landclass and OpenStreetMap data. It covers Europe and North America (55 GB in total), but you can download specific single tiles if you want (about 1-2 GB per tile):

http://www.alpilotx.net/downloads/x-plane-10-hd-scenery-mesh-v2/

Use the torrents (linked in the website) for faster download. Be sure to follow the installation instructions (very simple, but you might need to edit the scenery.ini file).

Also, highly recommended is the "Tree lines and farms" available for USA and Europe, from the same author ( http://www.alpilotx.net/downloads/x-plane-10-tree-lines-and-farms/ ). It adds some detail to default scenery.

I also HIGHLY recommend these two freeware add-ons (you need to register on x-plane.org and x-pilot.com to download them):

"Enhanced Runways HD by FlyJSim 1.20": http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=16270

"Replacement Day and Night Lighting for X-Plane 10.20 1.1": http://forums.x-pilot.com/files/file/435-replacement-day-and-night-lighting-lightstxt-for-x-plane-1020/

The latter will improve even more the depiction of night scenery. There are 4 variants, try them all (it's just a single file) to see what suits you best! My screenshots in the screenshot forum are all using this freeware add-on: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/427570-city-lights/

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Awesome tips, thanks so much everyone.  Will definitely check out some of that other software.  I am a big fan of complex FMCs (I know my way around the PMDG 737 NGX and PMDG 777) so any aircraft in Xplane 10 that offers this functionality is welcome.

Looking forward to it.

-Phil

Awesome tips, thanks so much everyone.  Will definitely check out some of that other software.  I am a big fan of complex FMCs (I know my way around the PMDG 737 NGX and PMDG 777) so any aircraft in Xplane 10 that offers this functionality is welcome.

Looking forward to it.

-Phil

If you like complex airliners, the IXEG 737-300 should be out in (probably early) 2014:

http://www.ixeg.net/blog

It is acknowledged that it will be the most realistic airliner ever made for any PC simulator.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

If you like complex airliners, the IXEG 737-300 should be out in (probably early) 2014:

http://www.ixeg.net/blog

It is acknowledged that it will be the most realistic airliner ever made for any PC simulator.

Wow, that looks to be at least PMDG level, if not higher.  Definitely looking forward to it... very interesting that they chose the 300 series, although I am sure add ons would offer other 737 models.

-Phil

Phil, the B757 is the best hardcore addon for the moment, even with some minor issues, it is really a good aircraft, and I hardly recommend it.

If you like old classic aircraft, you may have a look at the B727 FlyJsim, and with the additionnal CIVA INS, it is also a nice aircraft to fly, where you have to "work" and not monitor the aircraft.

The Jardesign A320 is missing the managed climb/descent features. I am not too familiar with Airbus aircraft (I am a pro Boeing) but it seems that there some other features missing in the A320.

Stéphane LI-THIAO-TE

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Tapatalk HD

vpa055.png

The Jardesign A320 is missing the managed climb/descent features. I am not too familiar with Airbus aircraft (I am a pro Boeing) but it seems that there some other features missing in the A320.

The managed CLB and DES modes have been implemented since v1.2 and work really well. They're currently at v1.5 now have implement a lot of new features including terrain radar and improvements to FBW etc.

They also plan on releasing more features with v2.0.

EDIT: Just checked their site and looks they just released v2.0

http://airbus320neo.com/updates/

I have been playing about the with demo and might get Xplane for Xmas. However I would miss Ai traffic like MyTraffic X and ATC like Vox. The Aerosoft airports look nice but theres nothing in Xplane like FSDT, Fly Tampa or Flightbeam.

It is acknowledged that it will be the most realistic airliner ever made for any PC simulator

Hmmm, that was, still is, and will be - Aerowinx, for the 747-400, I'm affraid :-)

That being said, I've been making a detailled comparison between my two buses, Aerosoft's AXE and A320 NEO, for each of my civil flightsim platforms.

I can't say I prefer one to the other. They both have their strong ( very strong ) points, and weaknesses, but overall they're on-pair because what one lacks the

other one complements somehow...

FSX add-ons of the standards set by this type of addon, or PMDG like, those detailled A2As, RealAirs and Majectic, will progressively be mado available for X-Plane.

The NEO A320 is already my preferred airliner for this platform, not having them all for comparison. I hear the best about the FF 757 and the FJSim 727!

On complexity, and in the commuter types, there are the JRollon J31 and the recently released Saab 340. They're both very good I am sure, although I do not own either.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

The Aerosoft airports look nice but theres nothing in Xplane like FSDT, Fly Tampa or Flightbeam.

Not yet... but it won't be long...

Greetings

Dave Britzius

(Cockpit Designer and Flight Simulator Hardware Supplier)

Cape Town

http://davebritzius.com

That being said, I've been making a detailled comparison between my two buses, Aerosoft's AXE and A320 NEO, for each of my civil flightsim platforms.

I can't say I prefer one to the other. They both have their strong ( very strong ) points, and weaknesses, but overall they're on-pair because what one lacks the

other one complements somehow...

I've very interested in you comparison as I have flown 100s of hours in the Aerosoft AXE. Do you miss FS2Crew? Is there a RAAS in Xplane? Is the MCDU and fligh dynamics modeled better in Xplane? I know that the AXE is missing climb and descent arrows in the ND.