Sign in to follow this  
Baylorguy

FSX to Xplane 10 Convert

A graphics card with only 1 GB memory isn't enough to handle the recently released HD mesh, I'd upgrade at least that component.

Try the demo which lets you fly near Seattle, that'll give you a good idea whether your system can handle medium-complexity city and airport scenery at settings and framerates that are acceptable to you.

Well,actually I run 10.25 with the HD mesh using HD5770 (1Gb) and get around 30fps on average. That's with terrain on high but HDR turned off. BTW th's with the latest catalyst/driver release (13.9 I believe).

This is fantastic advice, thanks again everyone!  So much to do... also wondering... has anyone tried converting FSX scenery to X Plane 10?  I googled it and it seems like it is hit or miss... I have tons of payware scenery (mainly airports) from FSX.

To anyone on the fence about jumping from FSX... realize they both can exist on your PC.  Truth be told... I will likely convert exclusively to X Plane 10 once my comfort level with it is high and I have some good customization.  With all of the recent support from bigger 3rd party devs I really see momentum picking up.  Might as well hop on board now and enjoy the ride :)

Well,actually I run 10.25 with the HD mesh using HD5770 (1Gb) and get around 30fps on average. That's with terrain on high but HDR turned off. BTW th's with the latest catalyst/driver release (13.9 I believe).

Interesting.  Do you use a "complex" aircraft like the JarDesigns a320?  What about weather?  Any 3rd party add-ons?

I know ultimately in the end, I will have to try the demo to get the best answer.  I just hate to go through all the trouble for one.  And, I don't want to buy the a320 and the other add-ons I mentioned if I wouldn't be able to fly it.  I don't really have the $$$ right now to upgrade my pc/video card.

It's also very hard to leave everything(add-ons) in FSX behind, that's for sure.  I know I can still keep FSX installed and still use it.  I get that.  But, at some point whether it's P3D or X-Plane, I want to completely switch over and not look back.  P3D offers the advantage of re-using most, if not all of my add ons, while X-Plane would be a complete and total new endeavor for me.  Sorry...I know this sentiment has been expressed over and over from us "FSXers".  But, it really has to be the biggest obstacle in getting someone to jump ship so to speak.  At least it is for me anyway.

It, at least for the moment anyway though, is really looking to be a good time for X-Plane if they can take advantage of this opportunity.  They have the opening right now to become "the" simulator of choice.  They are ready for the future now where P3D may or may not get there.  That future of course being 64-bit.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Not sure about that. I have V2.0 installed. If I push the knob, I still have Open Climb or Open Descent. And I don't have the "dots and dashes" appears in the MCP windows like the managed NAV.

Stephane

Are you pushing the knob or pulling? There are two mouse icons depending on where you click on the altitude knob. Pushing has the one finger up, while pulling has the hand open. When you push the knob climbs and descents are managed. The display won't be dashed, however the climb/descent profile follows the plan.

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

Are you pushing the knob or pulling? There are two mouse icons depending on where you click on the altitude knob. Pushing has the one finger up, while pulling has the hand open. When you push the knob climbs and descents are managed. The display won't be dashed, however the climb/descent profile follows the plan.

I'll just add that in order for the correct mouse icon to appear, eg. the one to push with the finger up, you'll need to move the mouse slightly to the right of the altitude knob on the FCU. This will engage managed DES or CLB mode.

To anyone on the fence about jumping from FSX... realize they both can exist on your PC. Truth be told... I will likely convert exclusively to X Plane 10 once my comfort level with it is high and I have some good customization.  With all of the recent support from bigger 3rd party devs I really see momentum picking up. Might as well hop on board now and enjoy the ride :)

I don't consider flightsims as trains or ships. Just multiple interests. My interest in different aircraft and locations is very immense. Planes from the beginning, up until the present, and scenery from all over the world. And then there is all of the new technology... real world navigation systems, etc.

So when I see some of these exciting new cloud and mesh screenshots for XP-10, I think, yup I got to have that. It looks great. At the same time, I still have some bought and paid for scenery and planes for FS9.........that I'm in no hurry to get rid of. Some of that airport payware still looks good, even by today's standards, and some specific flight models are still good too. I haven't purchased anything for FS9, for years.

I'll just keep the old, get the new, support the new, and not feel that I'm jumping from anything. That way, I won't feel that I'm missing something I enjoyed, while the newer sim is catching up. That could still take awhile.

I'll just add that in order for the correct mouse icon to appear, eg. the one to push with the finger up, you'll need to move the mouse slightly to the right of the altitude knob on the FCU. This will engage managed DES or CLB mode.

Hi FlyBoyMikey and Jon,

I didn't know that there were two different mouse icon for push and pull, maybe I missed this information while reading the tutorials pdf.

I will try again on my next flight.

Thanks for the tip.

That's what I like in this community, you always have someone here to help, and you learn some stuff every day.

Stéphane LI-THIAO-TE

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Tapatalk HD

vpa055.png

I don't consider flightsims as trains or ships. Just multiple interests. My interest in different aircraft and locations is very immense. Planes from the beginning, up until the present, and scenery from all over the world. And then there is all of the new technology... real world navigation systems, etc.

So when I see some of these exciting new cloud and mesh screenshots for XP-10, I think, yup I got to have that. It looks great. At the same time, I still have some bought and paid for scenery and planes for FS9.........that I'm in no hurry to get rid of. Some of that airport payware still looks good, even by today's standards, and some specific flight models are still good too. I haven't purchased anything for FS9, for years.

I'll just keep the old, get the new, support the new, and not feel that I'm jumping from anything. That way, I won't feel that I'm missing something I enjoyed, while the newer sim is catching up. That could still take awhile.

I totally get where you are coming from.  For me financially speaking it would be costly to keep getting stuff for FSX and Xplane.  So for now my approach is only get new stuff on Xplane 10 and just enjoy the stuff I already have on FSX. 

If you are into a few short flights, Carenado GA planes are much better in XPlane 10.  X-Aviation's Cessna Corvalis TT and the MU-2 Marquise are also very good.  I fly these around short hop when I am pressed for time.  I am surprised not many more people are recommending the Flight Factor Boeing 777, it comes with 200 and 300 variants and is up there in term of system modelling.  

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

If you are into a few short flights, Carenado GA planes are much better in XPlane 10.  X-Aviation's Cessna Corvalis TT and the MU-2 Marquise are also very good.  I fly these around short hop when I am pressed for time.  I am surprised not many more people are recommending the Flight Factor Boeing 777, it comes with 200 and 300 variants and is up there in term of system modelling.  

I just recently got the Carenado B58 for X-Plane and have really been enjoying taking it out on random VFR flights usually to test out new scenery. GA flying is something I've never really got into but am finding it a lot more enjoyable in X-Plane than FSX for some reason.

Another aircraft I'm REALLY enjoying at the moment is the FlyJSim 727 and have just recently bought the INS add-on for it, I'd say this is my favourite aircraft in X-Plane right now. I've put aside the FF 777 and even PMDG 777 for a bit now to focus on the 727 and other types I have in X-Plane. The JARDesign A320 NEO at v2.0 is also very nice now, but I just don't get the same satisfaction flying it as I do with the 727 where everything is very 'hands on'.

I have to say X-Plane has evolved very nicely recently with additions such as SkyMAXX Pro and the HD v2 mesh (I've downloaded a couple of Europe tiles but haven't had a chance to install yet).

I've put aside FSX for now and have to admit that even with add-ons such as PMDG 777, FTX sceneries etc, the sim itself is really starting to look a bit tired. I have no interest in P3D v2.0 at the moment but am thoroughly enjoying rediscovering XPX  :smile:

I have been seriously looking into X-Plane for the first time and am following this thread very closely as I consider what the next simulator for me will be.  One thing I wonder for the short term is what kind of performance could I expect with my current hardware?  I have an i5 2500k OC to 4+Ghz(I don't remember exactly where it's at as it's been so long ago that I did it), a 560Ti 1G, and 8G of RAM.  I know I wouldn't be able to max out all settings, but would I be able to run the JarDesign a320, HD Mesh, SkyMaxx clouds, photoreal scenery and 3rd party airports at least as good as FSX?

+1 for the guy who said your current video card might need a step up.  Bluntly, in XPlane, the MORE VRAM you have, the better off you will be.

3GB is GOOD!

4GB is probably 'the sweet spot'- consider MSi Gamer OC 770 w/ 4GB option (also avail with 2GB)

6GB is ULTIMATE- but pricey, standard on the GTX Titan

The Msi works great on an i5 PC, and frames rates are insanely good. The card if you shop a bit, can now be bought WITH 4GB of VRAM for $399 less $15 mail-in rebate.

It's a game-changer.  Requires decent power supply (I like Corsair 750M semi-modular).

The website that is named after a South American River has both items for reasonable pricing.  If you buy directly from the main site, all products are returnable for full refund in first 30 days.  This may NOT be true if you are buying from a "trusted partner" off their website.  Deal only with the main company to be sure!

Off the shelf PCs have very poor video cards, generally-speaking.  They almost always are less-than-the-retail version of the product, made to the specs of the PC builder.

Prices are volatile, do your shopping and be prepared to push the 'buy now' button when you find the right price.  I hesitated waiting for Black Friday, and the Jungle Rainforest website ran out!  Luckily, they got more a few days later.

+1 for new Skymaxx Pro 1.1 (1.1 JUST came out, and really enhances performance).

Beware of FSX scenery that has been ported-over to XPlane.  San Diego Buildings is one example.  Looks tasty in daytime, buildings are black at night (not lit).  Causes 3-second hard-freeze in powerful system only scenery that does that.  The buildings portion alone is 1 GB of VRAM.

If you have a 2GB card, you should NOT set it to run at 2GB texture load, you will experience stutters anytime the VRAM needs to be flushed.  Better is 4GB of VRAM and 2GB of headroom.

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

Thanks for some great pointers Mitch. Can i use HD Mesh v2 and SimHeaven's  O.S.M at the same time? Are they like UTX and GEX?

SimHeaven's (O)pen (S)treet (M)aps layer sits upon HD Mesh v2, and absolutely you use them both to stunning effect. All of my latest screen grabs have had both those elements in play.  Yes...OSM is your roads, where textures are to be displayed, etc.   I really DO suggest you also pick up Urban Maxx 3D for $7.95 that will truly be like with the aforementioned, the XPX 'Three Musketeers'....you will love what they all will render virtually. Also off of the UrbanMaxx developer's site you will find three free custom add-in textures sets, that can be used as one at a time, not all three installed. My favorite is the P.P.P. texture set of which you have seen in my recent screen grabs.  For European  flights, Old City is also very nice for that venue...

Mitch

With all these new addons coming out, there is no doubt xp10 will become superior in the flightsim world, that is if Austin improves in many aspects such as seasons, ai, flight dynamics and the visibility especially when cruising at fl300.

For now I feel it's a sim for people that enjoy flying GA, or bush flying. Doing long hauls in the beautiful 777, or JAR A320, just doesn't feel right. I wanna be able to do trips from snowy Canada over here have snow on the ground when I depart, and fly somewhere with no snow. Cruising at FL300 and above, feels nothing like it, blurry textures, and visibility is just awful.

Little things like that makes xp10 feel off. I want to fly more in it, but it just doesn't feel right. The only thing that brings me back to it is the great performance, and the night visuals(amazing!!).

Will xp10.30 offer something that many more simmers will make that switch. Or is it just going to continue on with small enhancements to better performance(it already runs flawless), or small adjustments here and there.

With all these new addons coming out, there is no doubt xp10 will become superior in the flightsim world, that is if Austin improves in many aspects such as seasons, ai, flight dynamics and the visibility especially when cruising at fl300.

For now I feel it's a sim for people that enjoy flying GA, or bush flying. Doing long hauls in the beautiful 777, or JAR A320, just doesn't feel right. I wanna be able to do trips from snowy Canada over here have snow on the ground when I depart, and fly somewhere with no snow. Cruising at FL300 and above, feels nothing like it, blurry textures, and visibility is just awful.

Little things like that makes xp10 feel off. I want to fly more in it, but it just doesn't feel right. The only thing that brings me back to it is the great performance, and the night visuals(amazing!!).

Will xp10.30 offer something that many more simmers will make that switch. Or is it just going to continue on with small enhancements to better performance(it already runs flawless), or small adjustments here and there.

Take a look at my most-recent videos on YouTube.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what HD Textures 2.0 and SkyMaxx 1.1 / UrbanMaxx bring to XPlane 10.25. Snow is coming soon... but the overall effect in terms of realism can be stunning - and markedly so compared to the competing sim platforms. Not just at night!

Take a close look at the vehicles when you're on final in XP10.  Jaw-dropping.  And the runway rushing up to meet you - the shadows - the rays of the sun changing as your heading changes... a lot to be happy about RIGHT NOW.  Oh, 64-bits, and yes, 64-bit ATC (PilotEdge or Vatsim) as well.

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

Take a look at my most-recent videos on YouTube

Hi Robert,

In your triple screen setup, did you have to purchase two additional Xplane copies, is there a how to guide somewhere for this?  Also the plane (AA) you used was that the new FF 757?

Thanks

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020