Sign in to follow this  
cvearl

AMD/ATI cards and AA and Vsync are fine in P3D

I am happy with performance in this new platform. My test scenario is KSEA in a Payware plane using generally high settings. Only thing I leave off is cockpit and Autogen shadows. They eat fps.

The following shots are locked at 30 most of the time around KSEA in overcast weather with about 15% AI traffic and cars.

4xSSAA (Supersample enabled in the driver and 4xMSAA set in game)

Vsync enabled in P3D V2 works Happy about that.

Occasional dips to 25 in the extreme overcast weather at Seattle in the Carenado C340II.

I truly hope they kill the bugs because my ATI card (7970Ghz 3GB) is eating these clouds for breakfast and the AA is fairly decent and fps are smooooooth.

tGTam.jpgLXTi.jpg0WLgz.jpgD45kO.jpg0ugp6.jpgLyPAo.jpgUXLe.jpgT1o6h.jpg

When I had a 6950 in FSX, I always found the AA to be better although I got worse performance in clouds. 

Seems this translates to P3D, as ATI users are all reporting great AA results. 

When I had a 6950 in FSX, I always found the AA to be better although I got worse performance in clouds. 

Seems this translates to P3D, as ATI users are all reporting great AA results. 

Clouds are fine now. Both in P3D and FSX with DX10 fixer. I can buzz through clouds locked at 30 no prob. To be honest at this point, FSX+DX10 fixer is just as good with performance as P3D it seems. I'm waiting for Global and Vector to install into P3D before I can do a good compare.

What I CAN tell you is I tested the GPUMARK2 test (4 layers of 8x8 clouds) and I get the same fps in both P3D and FSX DX10 mode. About 26 fps. That is at 1980x1080x32 with 4xSSAA and 16xHQAF. Clouds set to MAX density and 80 miles.

Charles.

That AA is so nice. I resent why Nvidia can't do a simple full screen supersampling AA just like ATI does. Isn't FSSSAA the oldest AA trick that should be a piece of cake to be implemented in Nvidia's driver?

I understand that at very high resolutions the performance hit by SSAA can be severe, but at 1920x1080 even my former ATI 5850 can handle at least 2x FSSSAA and the results are way better than anything I get with Nvidia. The terrible AA on runway markings and cockpit panels in P3D2 almost made me regret on buying the 780ti, and even I can get SGSSAA to work I feel its performance hit is no less than SSAA. Plus, I hate the fact that in FSX SGSSAA can be terribly sluggish when there are fogs and lots of clouds around.

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

I'm pleased you posted this cvearl, because I consider you an authority on ATI cards within the FSX/P3D domain.  

I too, having seen a lot of nVidia users complaining about their AA in P3D2 was thinking. wow, mine looks better than ever (because I can get higher GPU settings for the same performance level in the sim).

So, for once, it seems us ATI users having something going in our favour, in the FS hobby! :lol:

• Upvote 1

FSX with DX10 fixer

Sorry to hijack this slightly Charles, are there any addons not working with the "DX10 fixer"?  I found that the UK x-treme scenery didn't work in DX10, are the NGX etc working? 

Ian R Tyldesley

Sorry to hijack this slightly Charles, are there any addons not working with the "DX10 fixer"? I found that the UK x-treme scenery didn't work in DX10, are the NGX etc working?

Which airport and what have you heard is not working?

Hello,

I have an old 5870, and it goes almost well.

I can set 8XAA and 16XAF into the game without noticeable loss of FPS.

Is it my impression or change settings through CCC seems to have no effect?

How about tessellation and other parameters?

In my system tessellation eat frames, so I had to disable it.

This is interesting. I can assure you, I can nothing near that good of AA with a Nvidia 780. May be why some are saying others are crazy? :) Also why LM is trying to get Nvidia to incorporate a driver. if not for my continuous use for yrs to come of FSX, I would try one of them there R290 ATI cards.

Hello,

I have an old 5870, and it goes almost well.

I can set 8XAA and 16XAF into the game without noticeable loss of FPS.

Is it my impression or change settings through CCC seems to have no effect?

How about tessellation and other parameters?

In my system tessellation eat frames, so I had to disable it.

You can go into CCC and push the AA method slider to Supersample. Not Multisample. That will sharpen transparent textures. The in game AA is only geometry. It is edges. SS or Super Sample is transparent textures like those in gauges and on paint schemes. If you enable SS, you will have to drop in game AA to 4X to keep performance where you want it.

Charles.

This is interesting. I can assure you, I can nothing near that good of AA with a Nvidia 780. May be why some are saying others are crazy? :) Also why LM is trying to get Nvidia to incorporate a driver. if not for my continuous use for yrs to come of FSX, I would try one of them there R290 ATI cards.

I'm waiting for new cards tht dont use the reference cooler. ATI needs to take a page from the book of nVidia and make a solid state cooler at release! Like the 700 series had. That is one sexay cooler!

Instead of aiming for cheap cooler to keep the price way low at release. I mean common. GTX780 performance and released at $400. (R9 290). AMD should have added a $50 cooler at launch and temps and volume would be competative and still only $450. Better choice for AMD IMO.

Charles.

I'm not quite ready to jump into P3d full-time yet, but I may just have to subscribe for a month just to try it out and run benchmarks on my 4770k 4.8GHz/3x R9 290 system  B)

So I am curious, are ati users experiencing the issues that Nvidia users are seeing, namely stuttering and OOM's?  Also, are the ATI cards simply performing better overall?  If so, I still have a couple of weeks yet to return my GTX770/4GB and pick up an R9 280 or 290.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

So I am curious, are ati users experiencing the issues that Nvidia users are seeing, namely stuttering and OOM's?  Also, are the ATI cards simply performing better overall?  If so, I still have a couple of weeks yet to return my GTX770/4GB and pick up an R9 280 or 290.

Dont have an nVidia card to compare. But I guess I would say that fps is 30 - 40 fps in most of those shots and most are at KSEA. I am waiting for Vector and Global to be installed in both FSX and P3D and then I can compare with fps screenshots.

nvidia SGSS is a tick better looking than SSAA though IMO. Not enough so that I would switch just for that reason. Sadly 8xSSAA is not usable in P3D for me. :( Stutters. 4xSSAA looks good nuff I guess.

Charles.

Naive question - is there some technical attribute or other that explains why NVidia cards are struggling in P3D V2 with AA, and with features like volumetric fog... and why the same cards have trouble with heavy cloudcover in FSX DX10?  My GTX 680 Classified is performing exactly along those lines.  I had to give up on DX10 in FSX because I couldn't manage to solve the cloud issues, and my P3D performance is good when it comes to frames, but disappointing on shadows, fog and AA.  I'd love to know if there's a reason why ATI cards seem to be doing better.

I have to say I'm grateful for this thread - and also surprised, because before I read it, I wasn't remotely considering a move to ATI.  But now I am.  I've been on NVidia almost as long as I can remember (if I remember back far enough, there were Voodoo cards by 3dfx, but those are ancient trace memories now...)  I'd be completely willing to switch if I was convinced that ATI would provide consistently better performance or some sustained period of time.  Can any of you ATI users make that case, or help me make it for myself?  

Im not willing to make any videocard decisions untill LM sorts out some graphic issue in future releases. Ive noticed  people going out and buying theses big Nvidia cards just to get more memory when perhaps it will be a AMD GPU that is needed. I would be willing to go with AMD if it turns out to be the case. I believe most if not all of the development was done on AMD GPU's or theses issues would have been well known before release.