Sign in to follow this  
botfly

RTO issues

Hello, recently when I attempt to take off my plane will always go into RTO mode when the speed reaches about 85 knots. I checked the flight manual and noted 2 parameters causing RTO: 1. speed reaches 85 knots and 2. thrust at idle.

For my take off procedure, I always increase the thrust to about 55% N1 and then click the TOGA button so my thrust lever are never at idle. Also when I look at the thrust lever during take off, I could see after clicking TOGA it will advance to full so I can't see what else is causing the issue.

I searched for some similar posts but they related to issues caused by hardware control, which I am not using.

Can anyone advise what else I could have done wrong during my take off?  I heard that not setting RTO is one way to solve it but then it beats the purpose of this sim.

Thanks.

Alan

I think you still need to firewall your hardware throttles after you push the TOGA button, otherwise thrust may roll back to your original hardware throttle position due to 'noise' from the hardware controllers.

Also check to see if the PMDG option "A/T overrides hardware throttle" (or something like that) is ON. 

Can anyone advise what else I could have done wrong during my take off? 

Hardware brakes?

FSUIPC?

Kyle Rodgers

I think you still need to firewall your hardware throttles after you push the TOGA button, otherwise thrust may roll back to your original hardware throttle position due to 'noise' from the hardware controllers.

Also check to see if the PMDG option "A/T overrides hardware throttle" (or something like that) is ON. 

What do you mean by firewall my hardware throttles? I am flying on my laptop with just the keyboard and mouse so I dont have any hardware controllers connected.

I will give that A/T option a check when I get home.

Hardware brakes?

FSUIPC?

No, I am not using any hardware controllers. just keyboard and mouse.  Also I dont have FSUIPC installed.

What does the N1 gauge show after you have clicked the TOGA button and the throttles are advanced?  Is it showing approx 98% thrust?  Do you hear the engines going to full power?

Rob

What does the N1 gauge show after you have clicked the TOGA button and the throttles are advanced?  Is it showing approx 98% thrust?  Do you hear the engines going to full power?

Rob

I can't remember the thrust reading but I do see that after clicking TOGA the thrust lever does advance all the way up and I can hear the engines going to full power.  Then once the plane reaches about 85 knots the lever then moves back to idle.

probably a small "bug" in that when there is no joy axis input, the plane thinks it is actually at zero.

Reset A/T throttle override from "In HOLD mode" (or something like that) to "Never"

Reset A/T throttle override from "In HOLD mode" (or something like that) to "Never"

Exactly what I was going to say.  Good catch.

Kyle Rodgers

In the tutorial:

After you activate TO/GA, wait for THR REF to be annunciated and then push your physical joystick throttle fully forward, this prevents any mismatch between the throttle position and the A/T for the rest of the flight until descent.

You might just want to read that document

From my experience, you can use rto only once per flight, if you used reverse thrust coupled with it, after that rto will disengage after trying to use it, tried with and without joystick, override set to never, calibrated through fsx, max sens, 1 null zone.

From my experience, you can use rto only once per flight

False:

You can skip to 10:00.  I rejected the takeoff three times, using a throttle cut each time.

Kyle Rodgers

Hi Kyle,

Many thanks for the tutorial, particularly middle section re-routing to OTT.

Yet again I am thinking that I shouldn't hope that ATC won't ask me to do something of which I am unsure. Instead I just need to get into my head the concept of what ATC may ask me to do, and then work out what I would do to execute the command.

Great video at provoking thoughts!

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Many thanks for the tutorial, particularly middle section re-routing to OTT.

You're welcome!  That's actually an old one.  I was recording one last week, but I was watching a friend's dog and he kept barking (and I didn't trust him enough to shut him out of my room to record).  Perhaps tonight...and part of the topic is briefly alluded to in parts in the video above.

Yet again I am thinking that I shouldn't hope that ATC won't ask me to do something of which I am unsure. Instead I just need to get into my head the concept of what ATC may ask me to do, and then work out what I would do to execute the command.

That's definitely the case.  That and, if you don't know how to get the FMC to do it, dump it and do it manually.

Kyle Rodgers

False:
You didn't read my full post, i said" if you use reverse thrust coupled with it" i too can use rto all the time, if i don't use reverse thrust with it, but when it is used like this, next time you will try to use rto, it will disengage.