Sign in to follow this  
smpetty

Prepar3D v2

I am having problems with OpusFSX v3.36.1 and Prepar3D v2. Running OpusFSX causes Prepar3D v2 to crash at the new FSX-like startup screen. It happens whether I run OpusFSX before or after running Prepar3D. I have uninstalled and reinstalled OpusFSX, checked that the dll and exe files in the OpusFSX folder all have the same date, made sure that I have only one installation of OpusFSX, downloaded the Prepar3D v2 SDK and copied the Simconnect.xml file from the SDK to my User/Appdata/Roaming/Lockheed Martin/Prepar3D v2 folder (the same folder where the Prepar3D.cfg file resides), and disabled update weather at startup all to no avail. Earlier today before the crashes, I was able to get it working once or twice in P3D v2 but my external camera views all showed a skeleton of my aircraft (the stock Maule). Now it crashes every time.

I have had OpusFSX running beautifully with Prepar3D v1.4 for many months and have become dependent on Opus for great weather and great views. Please help!

Thanks,

Scott

You must install the P3D V2 SimConnect software so that is compatible with the v2 software.

The skeleton view is because the Cameras.CFG file is not being amended and the Opus [CameraDefinition.999] is missing at the start of the file. You could copy the definition from your FSX Cameras.CFG or old V1 P3D one for now.

I will post a new beta very soon to accommodate the new 'Prepar3D v2' folder name.

Stephen

You must install the P3D V2 SimConnect software so that is compatible with the v2 software.

To install the P3D V2 SimConnect software, do I edit the SimConnect.xml file that came in the P3D V2 SDK and put that file in the same folder as my Prepar3D.cfg (for P3D V2) file?  If so, what entries do I put in for Address (my computer's IP address?) and Port?

Thanks,

Scott

I think you need to install the SimConnect.msi for the v2 P3D. I believe this version is backward compatible with the older SimConnects but is needed for compatibility with P3D v2. I will be carrying out further tests with P3D v2 very soon (now that I have repaired my P3D PC when its HDD crashed), but most users are reporting installing the v2 SimConnect is working fine.

I will also be posting a new beta or release soon correcting the Live Camera external view problem. The current software is looking of the Cameras.CFG file in the Perpar3D folder which is now called 'Prepar3D v2'. This CFG file has the [CameraDefinition.999] inserted at the top for the Opus External Aircraft view.

Stephen

Stephen -

What values should I use for port and address in the SimConnect.xml file?  There is no SimConnect.msi file that I can find in the P3D V2 SDK or anywhere on the Lockheed Martin site.

Thanks,

Scott

Just install the P3D V2 SDK then, that should include it. But I haven't done it myself. The xml file will be the same as FSX running on a single PC. You could Google it or wait until I can post my FSX one. I believe I may have already posted my FSX one in another topic ... P3D V2 Demo Mode or something similar.

Stephen

Here's my SimConnect.xml for FSX ...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="SimConnect" version="1,0">

<Descr>SimConnect</Descr>

<Filename>SimConnect.xml</Filename>

<Disabled>False</Disabled>

<SimConnect.Comm>

<Disabled>False</Disabled>

<Protocol>Auto</Protocol>

<Scope>local</Scope>

<Address></Address>

<MaxClients>64</MaxClients>

<Port></Port>

<MaxRecvSize>4096</MaxRecvSize>

<DisableNagle>False</DisableNagle>

</SimConnect.Comm>

</SimBase.Document>

But I believe you must install the P3D V2 SimConnect for compatibility.

Stephen

There is no P3D simconnect,msi and all needed files are installed during the installation. There should also be no need to have the simconnect.xml in your apps folder unlles your running a client server setup. LM explains in the SDK learning center why P3D doesnt use the msi. If your missing required simconnect files, a repair may solve the problem. Now if your using a client computer things are more complicated. If Opus supplies a simconnect.msi, you can try running that. It should be in the Opus installation folder.

Now, there is an issue/bug with the new P3DV2 startup screen causing CTD's that may be you problem all along and have nothing to do with Opus or simconnect.

There should also be no need to have the simconnect.xml in your apps folder unlles your running a client server setup.

I'm not running a client server setup... just a simple one computer installation

Now, there is an issue/bug with the new P3DV2 startup screen causing CTD's that may be you problem all along and have nothing to do with Opus or simconnect.

As long as I don't run OpusFSX, the new P3DV2 startup screen works well and I have no problems.  As soon as OpusFSX runs, the startup screen crashes to the desktop.

If your missing required simconnect files, a repair may solve the problem.

I guess that's all that I can do to try and get OpusFSX and P3DV2 working?  I'll try running the P3DV2 installer again and repair what I have.

Thanks for your help Rendi,

Scott

OpusFSX is an external program that connects to P3D in an identical fashion, in fact that software has no knowledge of what sim it is connecting to. P3D simply accepts the connection at the other end. Hence OpusFSX cannot influence P3D in the manner you are hinting at. The problem is within P3D, just because the problem doesn't manifest itself until some external program like the Opus FSXSERVER program tries to connect with SimConnect matters not.

In other words just because P3D only crashes when Opus connects counts for nothing. Opus cannot influence or cause P3D to crash, I couldn't do that even if I wanted to, that's all down to just the fragility if P3D V2 with respect to its SimConnect handling.

Stephen

Many people are running OpusFSX with P3D V2. It is P3D that is the new unknown here. Opus connects via SimConnect and this connection is totally independent of the sim type. Opus connects in an identical fashion no matter what sim or version of sim software is running at the other end. My advice would be to reinstall SimConnect using our supplied msi. But please, it is the P3D V2 software that is the new unknown here. Everything from the SimConnect link onward including all the external and independent Addons trying to connect to the sim have not changed here, only the P3D V2 code.

Stephen

OpusFSX is an external program that connects to P3D in an identical fashion, in fact that software has no knowledge of what sim it is connecting to. P3D simply accepts the connection at the other end. Hence OpusFSX cannot influence P3D in the manner you are hinting at. The problem is within P3D, just because the problem doesn't manifest itself until some external program like the Opus FSXSERVER program tries to connect with SimConnect matters not.

In other words just because P3D only crashes when Opus connects counts for nothing. Opus cannot influence or cause P3D to crash, I couldn't do that even if I wanted to, that's all down to just the fragility if P3D V2 with respect to its SimConnect handling.

Stephen

Many people are running OpusFSX with P3D V2. It is P3D that is the new unknown here. Opus connects via SimConnect and this connection is totally independent of the sim type. Opus connects in an identical fashion no matter what sim or version of sim software is running at the other end. My advice would be to reinstall SimConnect using our supplied msi. But please, it is the P3D V2 software that is the new unknown here. Everything from the SimConnect link onward including all the external and independent Addons trying to connect to the sim have not changed here, only the P3D V2 code.

Stephen

Understood - realize that I never meant to "hint" that OpusFSX was the culprit and P3D V2 the victim.  I just want my simulator working with Opus.  I have used Opus since it was released on both FSX and P3D V1.4 and I have become dependent on the camera and weather Opus provides. 

I have had OpusFSX running beautifully with Prepar3D v1.4 for many months and have become dependent on Opus for great weather and great views.

That was me at the beginning of this thread... obviously I'm not an angry Opus customer... I was just asking for help from the experts.

I think you need to install the SimConnect.msi for the v2 P3D

Just install the P3D V2 SDK then, that should include it

I followed your advice, installed the SDK, could not find SimConnect.msi in the SDK or on the LM web site (because it doesn't exist), and asked for clarification.  I never cast aspersions at Opus software, so please calm down.  I am still where I started - Opus and P3D V2 don't work together on my rig.  Is there anything else that I can try?  Any log files or testing that I might be able to do on my end that would shed light on this issue?

Scott 

Yes, install SimConnect using the msi in your OpusFSX folder.

The only reported problems have been overcome by creating a SimConnect.xml file (see above) and installing SimConnect.

Stephen

I installed SimConnect using the msi in my OpusFSX folder and I created a SimConnect.xml file and put it in the Users/Appdata/Roaming/Lockheed Martin/Prepar3d v2/ folder.  P3DV2 still crashes when Opus is running.  I monitored the Spy window and here is what it showed (please see attached files)...

Scott

if Opus is run BEFORE P3Dv2 it will run OK every time, it has to load always before P3D.

In my case, P3DV2 crashes if I run Opus before or after P3DV2.