Sign in to follow this  
CYXR

Amazon to use drones for fast delivery

60 Minutes aired an interesting story which announced it earlier tonight. The 60 Minutes broadcast was real; but I don't know about

the story regarding Amazon's plans for delivery drones. It's still in the R&D stage according to Bezos; who can certainly afford it; and they would require the FAA's approval.

see here:

Ben

Me: " Hello!? 911? Do you know Amazon dropped War and Peace on my baby's head! "

911: " Can you hum a few bars? "

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

People would steal them.

People would shoot at them.

They would break and fall on things........

Dogs will jump on them.

They will have very limited range and carrying capacity.

Weather will mess with them.

The FAA will laugh at them.

They will get caught in trees.

People will claim injuries.

Kids will throw rocks at them.

Its a silly idea that will happen when pigs can fly in tight circles beside them. (But its sounds so cool) 

Copter Pizza!!!!

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Copter Pizza!!!!

yes I would like Domino's to deliver me a Pizza by Drone in thirty minutes or its free.....then when it doesn't get to me because the drone was shot at, rocks thrown at it, dog chased it, stuck in a tree, broke and fell on my neighbours head....etc, then I would get a free pizza  :lol:

Matthew Kane

yes I would like Domino's to deliver me a Pizza by Drone in thirty minutes or its free.....then when it doesn't get to me because the drone was shot at, rocks thrown at it, dog chased it, stuck in a tree, broke and fell on my neighbours head....etc, then I would get a free pizza  :lol:

That would be delivered in a van by a guy whose job is also to retrieve the copter and speak with the cops and the insurance people.  :wacko:

More seriously, (sorry OP) if I were a terrorist, my eyes would be lighting up, right about now.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

The only way I could see this working is if Amazon's corporate customer was to build a designated landing area for the drones on top of a sky-rise building or factory, but don't think it would be worth it compared to the low cost of someone driving a truck or a bike courier.....etc

I don't see a drone landing on someones doorstep to drop off the latest copy of GTA-6 (when that comes out). Devon pretty much nailed the reasons why....Suburbs are a dangerous place for a drone.

Reality just them talking about this is great PR for Amazon and is most likely the reason behind it. If it never happens at least they got people talking about them, which is great marketing.

Matthew Kane

maybe , for faster delivery, they would attach the packages on a agm-64 maverick ROFL

Cenk Demir

Besiktas JK 1903

Apparently the genius who is Bezos is investing serious money in this plan (or his corp. has so much money that they will do RD on just about anything).

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

If I remember correctly, a similar system is also used in France by the postal services. Not 100% sure on the details, but it should be operational by now.

Also... Using quadcopters to fly over people, crowds, houses,...? I think not! :O

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Having worked extensively with drones myself (http://www.airimage.co.za) I can tell you from first-hand experience that the biggest challenge is having to deal with unfavourable weather conditions.

This may well be a viable option in areas that have very predictable good weather most of the time.

I can also see kids having a favourite new pastime...taking out Amazon drones with their slingshots  :lol:

Jerome

Hee hee, this can't be for real. This is an April fool's surely?

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Just when I think I'm just being silly.......

Life proves to be even sillier. (wanders off to check on the price of a good slingshot.........)

Devons rig

Could work in UK or other places that have cameras every where that would prevent drone vandalism. GPS tracking device and 360 live camera on each one would also help prevent the suburb vandalism. Get caught shooting or taking down a drone, go to jail.

I don't think batteries are good enough to make this work. Drone delivery range would be rather short I'd think.

Also... Using quadcopters to fly over people, crowds, houses,...? I think not! :O

Woops! Nevermind, octopcopters, not quads.... Must've been kinda drowsy this morning.