Sign in to follow this  

P3Dv2 FlightBeam KSFO + FTX 1.1 + REX + GSX

Was testing out winds and how it affected the water, 15k with 22k gusts ... may need to dial traffic back a little ... landing starts around 8:50 mark.

Still deciding if I like cloud reflections on the water or not.

The cirrus pattern looks...interesting  :rolleyes:

Are you using REX weather or REX textures or both?

Are you using REX weather or REX textures or both?

No weather engine used, just setup weather myself to get the winds, so yeah, the cloud patterns do look a little repeated - REX Cirrus Set 33 and the sky texture is a little too blue for my taste ... FSGRW are supposed to be coming out with P3Dv2 update Jan 2014.

What kind of performance are you getting without fraps? 

Worst case around 19 fps (final to KSFO), otherwise locked at 30 fps.  Tried to emulate the similar (not exact since that's impossible) scenario in FSX  DX10 and couldn't, OOM'd even in the default Beech 58. :(

Heya Rob, 

I am of the mind "not". I cannot ever remember seeing a cloud "reflected" off the ocean (flying commercial). Shadows, yes: reflections, no. The sole exception would be a source of light such as the sun, moon, or airport lights, and even then that is not a true reflection as much as it is scattered light being reflected off certain wave angles (i.e., the sun is not seen as the sun at sunset, but is instead a broad swath of scattered light). 

I have seen reflections off of lakes, however, but only in very still conditions. I remember seeing a post from a real-world flyer (don't ask me to find it!) who said he never saw a reflection off the ocean. The ocean water surface is just too coarse.

Still, nice video. I was a bit confused that you appeared to take off in the dark morning and landed at sunset...  

And I believe I will starting saving my nickles and dimes for a EVGA GTX780 ACS card.

Shadows, when they are implemented, will be cool.

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

I am of the mind "not".

Agree with you ... I do like the land objects/trees/lights reflection along the shorelines but how real that is on a wavy body of water I just don't know.

I was a bit confused that you appeared to take off in the dark morning and landed at sunset...

Takeoff was dusk, then I changed time on approach as I wanted a better look at the waves and reflections ... really just testing out FlightBeams KSFO and wind affects on water (and how the REX textures look -- need to play around with those some more).

Shadows, when they are implemented, will be cool.

Not sure what you mean by this, shadows are being implemented?  External object shadows will even cast inside the VC (not just own aircraft).

Not sure what you mean by this, shadows are being implemented?  External object shadows will even cast inside the VC (not just own aircraft).

Sorry - did not clarify the context: "cloud shadows" will be cool, which I understand are for a later release of P3D2?

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

"cloud shadows" will be cool

Ah yes, absolutely!  Along with SLi/Crossfire support :)  Shadows really make this Titan GPU work -- supporting SLi/Crossfire would probably allow me to turn them all on (cast and recieve) and bump it up to Ultra from my current setting at High.  But the very fact we can say "later release" is very refreshing indeed.

Rob, as I stated on our forum in regards to high-level cirrus clouds:

"there is a major issue with high-level cirrus clouds that causes a repeating pattern, I've indeed spoke to the P3D folks about this and waiting an official response. Just wanted you to know that before folks start accusing weather/environment developers of this."

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

Thanks for clarification Tim, and I thought it was just me.  I'm sure you'll get accusations regardless, some people seem to want to believe what they like to believe rather than what really is ... sorta like being in the Matrix :)

Keep up the great work!  Glad to see you expanding into XP also.

Great video. And I love the light on the water! But cloud reflections? You don't usually get these on the ocean IME, only on very still water.

Cheers,

Sascha

Dang, at 13:10 I thought "What the heck, do we now have hangars popping in instead of autogen?". But then I saw it was a video edit. The building on the left edge of the windscreen morphed seamlessly into a couple of planes standing on the apron, so I had to check a couple of times before I noticed!

And I love the light on the water! But cloud reflections? You don't usually get these on the ocean I

Turned the cloud reflections off in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttzmic63J-E and I agree it looks better.  The lightening reflection on the water at the 2:51 mark in my more recent video blew me away!

But then I saw it was a video edit.

Yeah, just a transition from a cut (film dissolve or cross dissolve usually).

"there is a major issue with high-level cirrus clouds that causes a repeating pattern, I've indeed spoke to the P3D folks about this and waiting an official response. Just wanted you to know that before folks start accusing weather/environment developers of this."

Tim,

Just to clarify, I never expected the repeating cirrus pattern, as shown in Robs video, to be caused by REX, but to be exclusively a P3D issue.

Never seen this sort of pattern with any other FSX weather addon either.

Hi Michael,

I have reported this during the beta process as well as 1-on-1 conversations with them. It's definitely an issue. I'm really looking forward to this being resolved.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com