Sign in to follow this  
sanh

The best thing about P3d V2 is not shadows but....

The best thing about P3D V2 is the new cloud rendering. The worst part of FSX was seeing all those clouds below you as you descend and then somehow you miss them all or they slide to the side or they are paper thick. When you finally reach the ground and look up at all those clouds you wonder if you they were there when you were descending!

P3D V2 + REX clouds is just amazing. I just flew an approach into Bilbao and the clouds were so thick and life like. While flying through the cloud layer it appeared realistic and felt like you were flying through thick heavy clouds - without the weird things you see in FSX clouds close up. Fantastic.

Shadows are good also by the way :)

That is nice to hear, I saw a couple of vids where the clouds (default I believe) looked really good especially when flying through them.

I have REX and it is good to know the improvements that P3D will bring to the REX experience.

They did some work on it with great results.

I still think the autogen not popping up is the biggest thing for me.

For me it is most definitely the terrain rendering/tessellation. Even the same source mesh we used in default FSX looks amazing with high tessellation levels.

Love it. 

Regards,

Brian Doney

For me it is most definitely the terrain rendering/tessellation. Even the same source mesh we used in default FSX looks amazing with high tessellation levels.

Love it. 

How is tessellation affecting terrain rendering?

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Tessellated Terrain on the Graphics Card

• The previous work being done to generate terrain mesh is now done on the graphics card.
  • Fully dynamic night and day light cycles
    • Terrain lighting is now able to be done dynamically on the card, whereas previous shadows and lighting had to be baked into the textures and reloaded when time changed
  • Terrain paging performance greatly improved
    • Trainees in fast flight scenarios will see their terrain paged in much quicker as it is being done on the graphics card

From my own perspective, I have never seen terrain stay as sharp and detailed for as far as can be seen as in P3D2. I'm not really picky about terrain, or scenery at all to be quite honest, but this one really sticks out, and is immediately noticeable.

Regards,

Brian Doney

^+1.

But going back to the OPs comments, even the default clouds look prety darn good (especially with HDR enabled).

Can't wait for the cloud shadows to be properly implemented.

Brian - That is great to hear about the sharpness of the textures.

Dylan - I am very much looking forward to those cloud shadows being properly implemented.  I did see a video that showed the cloud shadows as they are now and I can really imagine that they will look very good indeed, once they are refined.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Textures still blurry for me, no different than FSX and autogen still comes in slowly. Maybe not quite as "poppy" as FSX, but still obvious.

The best thing for me, is that P3D2 seems to like ATI...... it's too early to say yet, but maybe even moreso than nVidia.    There are a lot of ATI users talking about fantastic performance at the moment, and a lot of unhappy nVidia posts.    But that's clearly not a scientific sample; just anecdotes.    But it certainly seems better suited to ATI GPUs that FSX.

Second best thing for me, is the cockpit shadows, then the clouds, then he non-popping autogen.

:smile:

The best thing for me, is that P3D2 seems to like ATI...... it's too early to say yet, but maybe even moreso than nVidia. There are a lot of ATI users talking about fantastic performance at the moment, and a lot of unhappy nVidia posts.

Very interesting report. I too am an unhappy Nvidia user having mediocre performance with a very high end card...GTX 690. I suspect the 690 with its dual processor is emulating SLI mode on just one slot and since SLI is not supported yet, that may be the reason for the poor performance in my system.

Still, if what you say turns out to be factual, this could be the beginning of a beautiful new friendship with ATI cards for me :)

The best thing for me, is that P3D2 seems to like ATI...... it's too early to say yet, but maybe even moreso than nVidia.    There are a lot of ATI users talking about fantastic performance at the moment, and a lot of unhappy nVidia posts.    But that's clearly not a scientific sample; just anecdotes.    But it certainly seems better suited to ATI GPUs that FSX.

Second best thing for me, is the cockpit shadows, then the clouds, then he non-popping autogen.

I just dropped a 770 4 GB in and it performs better than my 7970 3 GB card was. I didn't look at clock speeds between the two cards, but I saw an improvement by going the Nvidia way for sure.

Just a caution for those with performance issues...for best FPS, check to make sure you are running in windowed mode as opposed to full screen. This has already been noted as an issue that LM is looking into.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Just a caution for those with performance issues...for best FPS, check to make sure you are running in windowed mode as opposed to full screen. This has already been noted as an issue that LM is looking into.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

For me its the opposite

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight