Sign in to follow this  
machie

compatability with Mega Scenery 2.0 products

Hi All

I just bought Global and am going to install when the download is finished---I have almost all the MEGA 2.0 stuff and use it for a lot of USA Flights---is the 2.0 stuff compatible or should I remove it when using The Global Scenery?

Cheers and Happy Winter Holiday Season to All!!!

Dorn

Your MSE2.0 stuff will cover FTX Global if I'm understanding your question correctly.  So, you will not see anything from FTX Global when you are flying in areas where you have MSE2.0 enabled.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Thanks---seems as if the FTX Global might be better than the Mega 2.0 but I will need to wait and see---My Mega Scenery 2.0 is very blurry

Thanks---seems as if the FTX Global might be better than the Mega 2.0 but I will need to wait and see---My Mega Scenery 2.0 is very blurry

Well, that all depends what you define as "better".  They are two different ways of displaying what you see on the ground.

FTX Global is land class based.  What this means is your going to get a general idea of what is in each 1km x 1km square tile on the ground.  It may or may not be anywhere close to looking like what it actually does in real life.

However, MSE will show you exactly what is there in real life(at least at the time the satellite flew over to take the picture anyway).

So, it depends what your definition of "better" or "real" is.  The pros and cons of photoreal vs land class scenery have been hashed over many, many times in the forums so if you'd like more info into that, I think a Google search will give you plenty of hits.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

On FSX front, you might want to look at Revolution X ... it's supposed to inject AutoGen ... but I haven't used it myself so I can't say much more.

On P3Dv2 front, the process of putting AutoGen into photo scenery is now possible given developer access to the render pipeline ... at least in theory anyway ... like combining FTX and MSE, it'll be interesting to see if this happens but it will be exclusive to P3Dv2.

On FSX front, you might want to look at Revolution X ... it's supposed to inject AutoGen ... but I haven't used it myself so I can't say much more.

And openvfr.  Though both of these products are for areas in Europe only.  The US unfortunately is WAY behind in OSM data.

On P3Dv2 front, the process of putting AutoGen into photo scenery is now possible given developer access to the render pipeline ... at least in theory anyway ... like combining FTX and MSE, it'll be interesting to see if this happens but it will be exclusive to P3Dv2.

This will definitely be interesting to see what happens here.  How nice it would be to have the best of both worlds.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

On P3Dv2 front, the process of putting AutoGen into photo scenery is now possible given developer access to the render pipeline ...

It's always been possible to put autogen on photo - it's just a matter of the developer doing so.  Many examples exist, including MegasceneryX, Earth V1 and so on...  but perhaps I'm not understanding what you mean.

Scott

It's always been possible to put autogen on photo - it's just a matter of the developer doing so.  Many examples exist, including MegasceneryX, Earth V1 and so on...  but perhaps I'm not understanding what you mean.

Scott

Yeah, I don't think you're quite understanding what is meant by this.  It is possible to put autogen on photo in FSX, yes.  But the developer has to annotate it either at the time he creates the photoreal bgls or later.  Products like openvfr take openstreetmap data and can generate autogen files(agn) for specific places on earth that will then be placed on top of photo real scenery in FSX too after the creation of photo real.

However, with P3D v2, I guess it is possible to "jump in" between the rendering of the "picture" drawn on the screen and alter it before it gets rendered.  So, one could place or draw autogen at this in between phase and place objects that way too.  I'm not totally sure about this though, to be honest.  Maybe you can just alter the frame that's going to be drawn but not add new things to it.  By alter, I mean change it's shading, contrast, colors etc.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

And openvfr.  Though both of these products are for areas in Europe only.  The US unfortunately is WAY behind in OSM data.

Is it better to buy individual FTX terrains than the global if I fly only within Europe? Also you have mentioned Revolution X, is it better than FTX?

Is it better to buy individual FTX terrains than the global if I fly only within Europe? Also you have mentioned Revolution X, is it better than FTX?

Again, FTX and openvfr/RevX/photoreal are two totally different ways of generating scenery.

IMO, the openvfr/RevX/photoreal option is by far the most real as it is the closest to what you'd actually see in real life.  But, that's just what I determine to be "real" or most immersive.  This is the "best of both worlds" option to me.  You have 3D objects when you're low(one of the biggest drawbacks to just photoreal scenery) but the wide variety of colors and textures on the ground that only mother nature can create and it's what's really there.  If you see a farm there in real life, you'll see one there in photo real.  If there's a house there, you see the house - flat if just photoreal but a 3D house if annotated either by the developer of the photo real or added later with openvfr like products.

FTX is land class and to me "fake".  But, they have the advantage of having seasons where with most photoreal solutions you only get summer.  I do believe some of FTX regions contain photoreal and/or a much closer representation to what you'd see in real life if you were looking at that exact spot on the planet.  FTX Global and the like(GEX) will just give you x number of textures to look at and those will be somewhat randomly assigned to tiles based on the land class.  So, the biggest negative to this approach is the repetitive tiling that you see with this type scenery from high altitudes.

Again, these are my opinions and by no means do I remotely believe that everyone views this the same way as I do.  Everyone is different in what they term as an immersive experience

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

Again, these are my opinions and by no means do I remotely believe that everyone views this the same way as I do.  Everyone is different in what they term as an immersive experience

Thanks a lot! It's a great help though. 

but perhaps I'm not understanding what you mean.

Sorry, I should be more clear and I was thinking out loud (no proof of concept yet) ... using .agn or .bgl files from products like FTX or default and having them appear with the Photo scenery without the need for a long pain staking process of placing them by hand and/or create scenery specific agn's.  The .agn/.bgl is read into memory and then makes it's way to render pipeline, since that pipeline is now open to developers I see no barrier as to why those objects and placement positions can't make up the scene/frame.  

Again, thinking out loud in terms of P3Dv2 ... I would think this is possible now.  But be warned, I haven't made it thru the P3Dv2 SDK yet sooo ... ;)

But be warned, I haven't made it thru the P3Dv2 SDK yet sooo ... ;)

Thanks for the clarification, Rob.  And thanks to Kevin as well for his earlier thoughts.

No worries - won't hold you to anything verbalized while "...thinking out loud...".  I figured there was a detail that I was missing.

Scott

Got any links to this Rob? I am eally curious about it.. This is the first time I am hearing about this.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter