Sign in to follow this  
tatin 98

737 NGX VS 77L. Which is better?

I love them both. Two different aircraft, two different ways to do things. Two examples of excellent value for money in my opinion.  Sell the kids and buy them both is my advice ;-)

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

I love them both. Two different aircraft, two different ways to do things. Two examples of excellent value for money in my opinion.  Sell the kids and buy them both is my advice ;-)

Great planes, but I don't think I would go as far as saying "excellent value for money". The 777 in particular is quite pricey and may be worth it to some (me included), but I would never consider it an excellent value at the current price. 

Chris H

I was going to get the T7 but the biggest complaint I heard about it from people who went to it is... it's...  too automated.  XD   Once you get it going it doesn't need you anymore.  It's l ike SkyNet!   The NGX has a higher workload and to me that is more enjoyable.     I was still thinking about getting it for my FedEX VA tryouts but...  I think I am going to get with the new 747 when it releases.   The NGX is just... epic.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Just my 2c worth. There is no way that the b777 is lighter on fps than the NGX however it runs smooth. I would point out that having gone through the documentation several times OOM issues are still a serious problem for many including myself.

What point is the dazzling flight deck if you cant use it in your high end scenery. That has been the diss appointing thing for me.

The B777 still has some bugs to iron out but hopefully this will be addressed in SP1 or I won't be getting the 300 ER.

Regards

Tim Carter

Regards

Barra

i7 7700K, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, GTX1070 OC 8GB, 1TB Samsung SSD for OS and P3D4.4, W10 64Bit, Corsair H115i Water Cooling

Now, what kind of question is this? (-;

Although admittedly I have had times where I've missed flying into really small, remote airfields. Flying from one big international airport to the other can seem somewhat routine - but a big part of me loves it. I adore long haul in the real world and love it in the simulator just as much. I get a thrill about being ETOPS and travelling through so many time zones and weather systems. Crossing the Atlantic on NAT's is probably my favourite type of routing to do. The only other aircraft I've flown in FSX since June was a Piper Malibu.

Whenever I fly the 777 it is like the first time I flew it. Just never gets an ounce old for me! Cannot wait to get my hands on the 300ER/200ER when those times come too. Enjoying the freighter massively also - have some cool charters planned to places like Afghanistan soon.

Just ask yourself; do you like the 777? Are you interested in learning it? Are you interested in joining the long haul life? Are you up for a new challenge? If not - stick with the NGX. The 777 isn't going anywhere... Otherwise I'll cry LOL.

As has been mentioned, the 777 is a different bird from the 737, but both are beautiful planes to fly and each have their own idiosyncrasies and challenges....The 777 requires you to think 'ahead' of the aircraft, sort of like driving a car...its always good to think beyond the immediate action of driving. The 737 has the ability to have more descent control and is great for shorter hops but comes up shorter in terms of "technologies" (i.e. the electronic checklists in the B777 and the extra steps required to start an engine in a 737 than the 777).

Both planes have been a joy to fly in terms of FPS (and I have a $20 graphics card in my big box computer with only minimal FPS drops) and it really just comes down to what do you want to do? Several short hops and maybe a long hop or two or consistently longer flights in the 777. Cant go wrong with either one!

Just my 2c worth. There is no way that the b777 is lighter on fps than the NGX however it runs smooth. I would point out that having gone through the documentation several times OOM issues are still a serious problem for many including myself.

What point is the dazzling flight deck if you cant use it in your high end scenery. That has been the diss appointing thing for me.

The B777 still has some bugs to iron out but hopefully this will be addressed in SP1 or I won't be getting the 300 ER.

Regards

Tim Carter

The OOM issue is annoying and is more noticeable with long haul flights than shorter hops with 737. The 777 uses a bit more vas than the 737 and that difference will sometimes will push you over the line. If your flying from one payware airport to another you may run into OOM issues depending on the airport. Flytampa TNCM for example does not use as much vas as some other payware airports, but fsdt cyvr even on medium settings could be too much if your coming from another payware airport (especially if your coming in during bad weather). The saving the flight right before TOD and reloading it works well to clean out the vas in a pinch (not ideal I know but it works). I usually just activate the airports I am flying from and to and leave the other airports disabled. Also, if I am going to fly from a payware airport to another one I will takeoff from the higher vas payware airport and fly to the lower vas airport, which has helped for me. I also stay in the cockpit now as I find when I switch to external views the vas jumps up and then when I go back into the cockpit it drops back down, but it does not return to the same level it was at before I switched to external view. The basic point is that there are ways around the vas issue while still being able to run fsx at decent graphic levels.

One of the neat things I like about the 777 is while I am cruise I tend to have my camera focused on the gauges and not looking out the window. I can tell by the way the light reflects in the cockpit when the sun is setting without even looking out the window.

I own both but I prefer the 737NGX for every 4 -5 NGX flights I do id do 1 777 flight just my preferance

Jason Richards

I know people say the 777 is too automated but if you fly it realistically the way it is in the real world there is plenty to do.  even on a long haul.

waypoint fuel check comparison noting used vs planned at each waypoint.

waypoint time check planned eta at each waypoint vs actual

etops awareness on etops flights having relevant alternate airport charts and approach plates ready and familiarised .including entering the relevant etops alternate in to the fmc alt page and selecting it. same for each adequate airport along route.

setting up vor/vor bearing/gps cross checks and situational awareness including political map awareness.

setting up offsets

setting up fix rings for etops and for adequate airports continually throughout the route.

monitoring winds aloft and comparing them to planned wind forecasts at each waypoint.

monitoring arrival time in fmc and potentially reducing or increasing cruise mach appropriately if fuel and contingency allows.

monitoring atc and tcas

there is actually a fair bit to do in the cruise because each waypoint requires some monitoring and work as above.so for one pilot there is enough to do.

Oh and when there is a break in activity I will have a little look out of the windows at the scenery if over a land mass and also I never get tired of gliding around the beautifully modelled and textured vc.it really is top notch in all respects ,dimensional accuracy and beautifully crisp texturing and I never felt that way about the ngx  nice as it is its completely ruined for me by the glaring proportional inaccuracy of the huge front windscreens. Completely ruins the realism for me unfortunately despite the lovely detailing and textures. I have spent many hours in the flightdecks of both in the real world and I can say the the 777 really captures the true feel .the ngx does not for the reasons I have mentioned.

kav 

Since it's two years younger, the T7 has newer features compatred to the NGX, and PMDG will eventually update the NGX with another service pack.

I've settled into a rotation where I fly a short or medium route on the NGX one day, and a medium or long haul with the T7 the next day.  I'm looking forward to the -300ER for more real world routes, especially since I can't get into any fictional liveries or routes.

I'm also using my Surface tablet as a virtual EFB containing the ORHs, FCOMs, PFPX plans, Navigraph Cloud Charts, and TOPCAT.

I really love both planes, and I'm very grateful to PMDG for bringing us an unmatched level or realism and outstanding quality.

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

It really depends on what kind of flying you like, if you like an automated aircraft that can cover long distances then the 777 is your bird but if you find the automation a bit boring and love to fly many hops out of smaller airports then you'll love the 737.

Kav: I know this may be a stupid question but which is your favorite in the RW? Also I must have missed something in the forums because sitting on the deck of the NGX I never noticed the windscreen issue. But I am an avid spotter and can remember on more than one occasion looking at the 800 thinking that looks like an awful small screen.. (lol)

Thanks,

Ron

In my opinion, it all comes down to how much you like the 777. I fly the 777 probably 95% of the time now, but I don't fly long haul. I just like having a 777 in my fleet and knowing what the 777 is like from a pilot's point of view. There's no need to fly 18 hours to enjoy it. 

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg