Sign in to follow this  

I will be home building this setup soon if it passes the critical test - picky AVSIM users!

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  

Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  

Memory: Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM 

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter

Case: Cooler Master Storm Stryker (White) ATX Full Tower Case

Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer   

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  

Monitor: AOC i2367Fh 60Hz 23.0" Monitor

Total: £1077.03

I will be running FSX on here with PMDG addons and i'm not expecting the world from it but it's the best i can afford and my current laptop is about to get to the stage where the bin is appropriate :)

I think that's a great moderate-high end system!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Memory: Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Haswell like fast mems minimum 2133 CL9 optimal 2400 cl9, if hard to find take CL10 or a cheap CL11 kit.

In my opinoin its stupidity to run lower memspeed than 2133 on a Haswell system, just my personal thought.

The difference in fps to a 4770K system with same clock less than 1fps , best bung for buck system today exelent choice.

CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  

I take it you aren't overclocking then?

If you are, go for a better cooler.

I take it you aren't overclocking then?

If you are, go for a better cooler.

Best I can really do right now, i've prioritised my limited budget towards things that are less easily replaced and in future down the line (maybe a year or so) when i want to begin trying overclocks I will be able to sell the H60 and buy a better one more suited to OC'ing, and as per the suggestion above i'll also look into faster memory (again, did the best i could to get a working system i can use until i've saved again.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Fair enough James, but do think carefully.

The H60 is £60. The NHD-14, which will handle any overclock you will ever throw at it is £65. With the D14 you won't have to sell your cooler and spend more money. In addition, the D14 is super quiet, I don't believe the H60 is.

The Thermalright Silver Arrow is as good as the D14 and slightly cheaper. Not to mention the Phantecs, which is an equal contender and also in the same price range.

AIO coolers are a good option, but they don't really compete with top of the range air coolers until you get to the larger radiator sizes. Smaller AIO coolers like the H60 certainly don't compete in terms of bang for your buck.

Something else to consider is the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo, only £26 but would compete very nicely with your £60 H60. In fact it's only one degree warmer and you would save £34.

Something to think about anyway. You may of course prefer the aesthetics of AIO coolers, so fair enough is that's the case. :)

Fair enough James, but do think carefully.

The H60 is £60. The NHD-14, which will handle any overclock you will ever throw at it is £65. With the D14 you won't have to sell your cooler and spend more money. In addition, the D14 is super quiet, I don't believe the H60 is.

The Thermalright Silver Arrow is as good as the D14 and slightly cheaper. Not to mention the Phantecs, which is an equal contender and also in the same price range.

AIO coolers are a good option, but they don't really compete with top of the range air coolers until you get to the larger radiator sizes. Smaller AIO coolers like the H60 certainly don't compete in terms of bang for your buck.

Something else to consider is the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo, only £26 but would compete very nicely with your £60 H60. In fact it's only one degree warmer and you would save £34.

Something to think about anyway. You may of course prefer the aesthetics of AIO coolers, so fair enough is that's the case. :)

I see. The H60 was only £50 where i bought it from. But I did not realise the 212 Evo would provide similar cooling for less money.

Regarding the NHD-14, i'm not really sure i want all that weight resting on the motherboard to be quite honest. Does it have a good mounting system to relieve pressure off the motherboard? Apparently it is also quite tricky to properly clean.

Regarding the NHD-14, i'm not really sure i want all that weight resting on the motherboard to be quite honest. Does it have a good mounting system to relieve pressure off the motherboard? Apparently it is also quite tricky to properly clean.

Well, this is something that's often brought up. However, I can assure you that the weight is not an issue at all James. There isn't one example anywhere on the internet of anyone having an issue. Noctua actually did an awesome job of the mounting system. In fact, mine has been on three different systems with zero issues.

When I first ordered the D14, I actually designed a support bracket, but to be honest, as soon as I fitted the D14 it became immediately apparent that it wasn't required at all. I measured the sag before and after fitting, and it was barely measurable if any at all.

Is the high weight dangerous for the CPU or socket?

No. Noctua coolers possess an extremely reliable SecuFirm™ mounting system. Even transporting the pc with the cooler installed is entirely safe. Thanks to the screw connection with the backplate on the rear side of the motherboard, the exceedance of the weight recommendations by Intel and AMD common among high-end coolers is completely unobjectionable.

As for cleaning, takes more effort than an AIO I would have thought, but I don't find it much of an issue.  I simply use an old tooth brush, to remove the dust that accumulates at the front of the cooler, and then blast through the fins with some canned air. To be honest, most of the dust clump together due to electrostatic effects and attaches to the front. Thorough cleaning between the fins isn't required as it's a very fine dust.

You  can use a vacuum cleaner of course, as long as you are careful not to touch any motherboard components. Vacuum cleaners generate static due to the high volume of air that passes through a plastic pie.

Well, this is something that's often brought up. However, I can assure you that the weight is not an issue at all James. There isn't one example anywhere on the internet of anyone having an issue. Noctua actually did an awesome job of the mounting system. In fact, mine has been on three different systems with zero issues.

When I first ordered the D14, I actually designed a support bracket, but to be honest, as soon as I fitted the D14 it became immediately apparent that it wasn't required at all. I measured the sag before and after fitting, and it was barely measurable if any at all.

As for cleaning, takes more effort than an AIO I would have thought, but I don't find it much of an issue.  I simply use an old tooth brush, to remove the dust that accumulates at the front of the cooler, and then blast through the fins with some canned air. To be honest, most of the dust clump together due to electrostatic effects and attaches to the front. Thorough cleaning between the fins isn't required as it's a very fine dust.

You  can use a vacuum cleaner of course, as long as you are careful not to touch any motherboard components. Vacuum cleaners generate static due to the high volume of air that passes through a plastic pie.

Thanks for all the advice Martin. It is all duly noted.