Sign in to follow this  
JesC

Informed Graphics Card Decision

Hello Folks.

Well, the P3D v2 release has prompted many a conversation about video/graphics cards. Like many, I would like to upgrade in preparation for a potential move to P3D but also to possibly benefit my FSX performance in the meantime. I would like to make an informed decision but frankly I don't think I am a very well informed  buyer at this point.

I have carefully followed many of the conversations/ threads but I am still  confused some; especially with all of the abbreviations and acronyms. (Still not sure which is the "VRAM" spec)

I am comparing the following choices and would very much appreciate your honest and  informed advice along with your clarifications, discussions, and experiences.

GTX 770                GTX 780             GTX 780TI

Video Memory                    4GB                       3GB                     3GB

Stream Processors           1536                      2304                    2880

Core Clock                         1150 Mhz               863 MHz              980 MHz

Memory Clock                    7010 Mhz              6000 MHz           7000 Mhz

Memory Bandwidth           224.32 GB/sec      288.4 GB/sec     336 GB/sec

Price (approximate)             $480                     $650                   $720

Looking forward to your input.

Edited by n4gix
Fixed error 770 not 760

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

Looks like you might have left out the 770 family.  Below is a link to newegg for the 770's that they have, which contain 4gb if VRAM (video memory).  By the way, the 770's have 1538 Stream Processors, also known as Cuda Cores.  I believe the 760's have 1152 and not 1536 like is stated above in your post.  I also included a link for the 760's. 

770's 4GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600007787&IsNodeId=1&Description=gforce%20gtx%20770&name=4GB&Order=BESTMATCH

760's 4GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600007787&IsNodeId=1&Description=gforce%20gtx%20760&name=4GB&Order=BESTMATCH

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Looks like you might have left out the 770 family.  Below is a link to newegg for the 770's that they have, which contain 4gb if VRAM (video memory).  By the way, the 770's have 1538 Stream Processors, also known as Cuda Cores.  I believe the 760's have 1152 and not 1536 like is stated above in your post.  I also included a link for the 760's. 

Thanks for your input and the links and for pointing out the discrepancy. The 760 in my table is an error and should actually be a 770. (Good indication of my confusion at this point)

I just see a lot of people choosing one of the 780's over the 770 and I don't yet understand the reasons. Hoping someone can clarify the importance of the differences in the specifications.

Jesse Cochran

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

Following a bit of research and feedback from other guys on the forum I eventually opted for the 770 4Gb card. A saving of £100 over the 780 and I wasn't convinced that a 780 would have been that much of an upgrade over the 770. I may be wrong, and I'm sure the parents of 780s will say so, but I suspect some will be buying the 780 simply because it has a bigger number!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Following a bit of research and feedback from other guys on the forum I eventually opted for the 770 4Gb card. A saving of £100 over the 780 and I wasn't convinced that a 780 would have been that much of an upgrade over the 770. I may be wrong, and I'm sure the parents of 780s will say so, but I suspect some will be buying the 780 simply because it has a bigger number!

Thanks for the feedback, Howard. I have been following your posts on the subject with great interest and my thoughts have closely paralleled yours. I know the community's general comments have been that "vram" is critical to P3D. But, after a good deal of searching and reading I am still unclear which of the manufacturers above quoted specifications refers to vram. Maybe if I can get a definitive answer to that it will help advance my decision.

I am really hoping some of the 780/780TI users could provide their input as I would really like to understand the reasoning before making my decision.

Jesse Cochran

Video memory is the same things as VRAM.

Thanks, Mike. I finally got it through my thick head that you had indeed already answered that question in your first post and was about to say so. Thanks for patiently pointing that out... twice.

Of course, this just makes me even more puzzled by the frequency of the 780/780ti recommendations. Would still love to get someone's explanation on that. I just know there must be another viewpoint well worth considering.

Jesse Cochran

Well, after kicking this around and with your help and input I have ordered the EVGA GTX 770 with ACX cooler and 4GB memory for $430.00 from TigerD.

Spec's:

Video Memory                    4GB
Stream Processors           1536
Core Clock                         1111 Mhz
Memory Clock                    7010 Mhz
Memory Bandwidth           224.32 GB/sec

My sincere thanks to you both for your help as well as the many others who have participated in like discussions in numerous threads and forums here at Avsim.

Jesse Cochran

Jesse - I think that is a very solid choice.  Please let us know how things work out with that card.  I will likely be purchasing a 770/4gb myself.

Howard - I don't know if you have installed P3D on your system, but if you have, I would love to hear of how it performs.  Thanks.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Jesse - I think that is a very solid choice.  Please let us know how things work out with that card.  I will likely be purchasing a 770/4gb myself.

Howard - I don't know if you have installed P3D on your system, but if you have, I would love to hear of how it performs.  Thanks.

Hi Mike, sure, P3D is sitting on my drive and I'm like a shy teenager at a prom wanting to ask the dolly girl in the corner for a dance, but I'm afraid I'll be rejected and disappointed so I sit here dreaming about how it could be :blush: I have to say, reading all the negatives surrounding the release, I keep asking myself if I want all the hassle. Maybe this weekend I'll install her and see how she runs :wink:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Well, after kicking this around and with your help and input I have ordered the EVGA GTX 770 with ACX cooler and 4GB memory for $430.00 from TigerD.

Spec's:

Video Memory                    4GB

Stream Processors           1536

Core Clock                         1111 Mhz

Memory Clock                    7010 Mhz

Memory Bandwidth           224.32 GB/sec

My sincere thanks to you both for your help as well as the many others who have participated in like discussions in numerous threads and forums here at Avsim.

Great choice- the 4GB of VRAM is VERY important in the long scheme of things.  Whether you 'stay' with P3D or move over to X-Plane or remain firmly in FSX, you will never be sorry to have that extra on-card memory.  In X-Plane, the simulator can use ALL the VRAM you have available, to render textures.  Hint:  Leave a bit of unused VRAM so new scenery can be swapped into the VRAM buffer prior to being needed "on screen".  For example, although I have 4GB VRAM on the wingman pc's, I only preload them with about 2GB of scenery.  Frames rates are INSANELY HIGH.  One of my videos demos the frames rates of the 770 4gb card.  It has the word Frames in the title.

I opted for a pair of 4GB Msi Gamer OC Twin-Frozr 770's for my triple screen setup, the centerpiece card is the GTX 6GB Titan (long story, got it under warranty for a DOA GTX690 courtesy of EVGA).

EVGA is a good company, located in California.  STRONGLY recommend you purchase their lifetime warranty option if you can.  Money well spent, video cards are notoriously 'touchy'.

Take a look at my videos (click on the link below my signature bar).  You will see what's 'possible' with 5 PC's and XPlane 10, with triple monitors and glass cockpit.  Maybe not your cup o' tea, but I can honestly say it's a game-changer, and I didn't have to part with 15k for a JetMax from FlightDeck Solutions.  Their CDU is spot-on right out of the 737.  Sim-Avionics software drives the glass cockpit, and the CDU.

Hi Mike, sure, P3D is sitting on my drive and I'm like a shy teenager at a prom wanting to ask the dolly girl in the corner for a dance, but I'm afraid I'll be rejected and disappointed so I sit here dreaming about how it could be :blush: I have to say, reading all the negatives surrounding the release, I keep asking myself if I want all the hassle. Maybe this weekend I'll install her and see how she runs :wink:

Good luck, Howard!  I went back to X-Plane.  The triple monitors sucked me in.  The frames and performance are astounding.  What you're looking for, methinks.

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

P3D is sitting on my drive and I'm like a shy teenager at a prom wanting to ask the dolly girl in the corner for a dance, but I'm afraid I'll be rejected and disappointed so I sit here dreaming about how it could be

Sounds like you need a wingman.  Go ahead... ask her to dance.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

@Jesse, I edited your first post to correct the error you pointed out. Just part of AVSIM's Gold Star Customer Service... B)

I've been dithering around between an EVGA GTX770 OC versus EVGA GTX780Ti myself this past week. Having just had to drop $1,100 to help pay my dentist's avgas bill, I have had to scale back my "wants" to match my "cans..."

Thanks to this thread, I've just ordered the same card from Tiger Direct too... Thankfully, I already have a brand new 750watt PSU I can drop in to replace my current 500watt PSU while the case is opened.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Is there a view that the Titan is just not worth it compared to the 780?  As with many it seems, I too am in the market for a new card.

I think you made a good choice. I am a 780 owner and like it but think the 770 is a fine card indeed! And saves you some money.

My only unfortunate indecent to reflect on your purchase is Tigerdirect. And normally would keep my mouth shut except I have spent all morning fighting with them.

Placed an order 2 weeks ago and still has not shipped but they refuse to cancel the order and refund my money, I finally had to notify Visa to take action.

But I am sure mine is an isolated instance. But will not do business with them again. Might I suggest Newegg my friend for future purchases. They have always been very fast and handle returns like a dream.

And Howard- I am a 780 but would never go against your opinions my friend - we go too far back from the old Orbx forum days. :)

Rob

"Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it"