Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

Prepar3D v1.4 and 2.0

Hi,

Perhaps this has been covered elsewhere already, if so I apologise for raising it again.

Will Prepar3D v2.0 coexist with an existing v1.4 installation? If so, how does it deal with the scenery.cfg and Prepar3D.cfg files associated with both sims?

It's taken me a while to reach this stage and, despite some qualified reservations being expressed in these forums, have now purchased and downloaded v2.0.

Currently I'm very happy with v1.4 and enjoy flying VFR courtesy of Horizon GenX, Scotlight Photo and Earth Simulation's Treescapes. Performance is very good indeed under Win7 Pro 64bit with my i7 2960XM @ 4GHz, 2xGeForce GTX 580M (2GB each) (eagerly awaiting LM's SLI implementations for v2.0) and 8GB DDR3 1600 Ram. Framerates frequently brush the high 50's and rarely seen to dip below 20 and only if I'm using certain more complex 3rd party A/C. Carenado aircraft, however, seem in the most part to be pretty efficient and their effect on performance is largely insignificant.

I still have FSX and, indeed, a very complex FS9 installed on my legacy XP based PC but, quite honestly, they haven't seen the light of day since I installed P3D.

I'm keen to install Prepar3D v2.0 but, wishing to preserve my existing v1.4 installation, I felt I wanted to clarify these points first before proceeding.

I'm anticipating that I may have to wait for v2.1 with SLI implementations to experience the best my rig has to offer for this sim.

Thank you.

Mike

Hi Rendi,

Thanks, that's reassuring.

Can I assume, therefore, that files such as scenery.cfg are saved in folders exclusively reserved for Prepar3D v2.0?

I suppose I'm just confirming what I believe to be the case: that this new version is just that and not an upgrade requiring v1.4 to be either overwritten or uninstalled.

Thanks again for responding so promptly.

Regards,

Mike

Yes. That is also true. It will create and maintain its own file structure beside other versions. if it were me, I would not install in the Programs file.