Sign in to follow this  
yidahoo

X-Plane.org

Great words by Dan Klaue!

You're a gentleman Dan!!!!

I couldn't agree more with you. Never mind it's long - you took the necessary length to explain what's going on there, and, IMO, you did it the best way I can think of ! 

I seldom post there, or at X-Pilot.com where I find also a very amenable environment to discuss X-plane matters (let's forget about that unfortunate recent incident...). Just as AVSIM, the .ORG and X-PILOT are great places to visit and to gather important information from, and to be able to find people to talk and exchange ideas with, and, BTW, let's not froget FLIGHTSIM.COM too!!!

This said, I would also like to point out that this kind of threads, while harmless to us X-Plane users, can harm prospective newcomers to the X-Plane World.

X-Plane IS NOT FSX or P3D. X-Plane is a platform with it's own strong and weak points. I can only tell to someone willing to MOVE from FSX or P3D TO X-Plane 10 a big DON'T MOVE - SHARE!

But if the arguments based only on worth facts for comparison of both platforms aren't enough, people will always look at the communities themselves, and judge also from there... The way they are fractionated right now doesn't help!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

For me, that's the typical experience with that site. Either you get snarky comments, or they don't comment because it might get a negative answer (which to me, is enough of an answer).

However, as a customer, I can vote with my wallet, and the way it is now, I'm leaving X-Plane alone because of that site. I'm monitoring this site, though, to see how things stand with X-Plane.

Same situation as you. Apart from having an IP block which I get after clicking around a bit on the forums (rebooting router helps here), the quality of some of the answers makes me scared to ask any questions or even post my opinion or praise. I've even seen the infamous moderator there, smack a user down for saying how much he is enjoying X-Plane, something a long the lines of "So what!!!". Awful awful site, and I refuse to buy anything from there.

Let me expand on my above post.

We have a group of very talented Developers in here. Each one has brought to X-Plane something/things that have greatly improved X-Plane 10. Without each Developer in this tread, X-Plane would not be where it is at this moment in time. However It makes me sad that these individuals can not get along because of things that have happened years ago. (You can search X-pilot and .org to find history)

Dan - The best GA aircraft for X-plane Hands down.

Jack - The best Classic airliner

GoranM - The Best Turbo Prop Commuter

John - SkyMaxxPro and UrbanMaxx v2 3D

However the Line is split by the website they sell on and some users will never be able to enjoy all 5 above because of their own reasons due to the issues aired out in this thread. You guys really need to take a step back and take look at yourselves.

Life is way, way, Way, to short to hold grudges.

From an outsider looking in and a customer this does not look good.

You guys really need to take a step back and take look at yourselves.

I doubt you meant this in an offensive manner, but this is a very bold statement for someone not involved directly. I understand where you come from as a consumer. You do not understand where the others come from and what has been exchanged in full between any of them.

It's a true shame things are not easily sorted, no doubt. Sometimes you have to cut your losses and walk away. I would suggest you not make these kinds of statements, as it too comes across emotional.

Founder of X-Aviation

I doubt you meant this in an offensive manner, but this is a very bold statement for someone not involved directly. I understand where you come from as a consumer. You do not understand where the others come from and what has been exchanged in full between any of them.

It's a true shame things are not easily sorted, no doubt. Sometimes you have to cut your losses and walk away. I would suggest you not make these kinds of statements, as it too comes across emotional.

Cameron,

Your right, It was not meant to be offensive. But It is my opinion and I stand by it. 

But it is pretty clear in here that losses were not cut or this thread would not be happening.

In the end I would still Buy all y'all a Beer.

This is not unique to X-plane, it happens on the FSX side as well (most recently with NickN and FTX Global), yes it's sad to see, but it doesn't affect the sim experience, since the addons seem to co-exist just fine in the same simulator.

Oh man, I hope they lock this thread as  I just spread close to 200 bucks on all the sites mentioned as I don't care about background drama, just keep producing quality payware and we will come.

From my light reading on it (I try to stay out of it except for official forums), it's really the same few people sounding off their horn. You're always going to have a vocal bunch. They'll also *usually* get over it once they get their fix. Patience is a virtue in this line of work, it seems.

Errm, Cameron. I don't really want to burst your bubble but I think you are wrong.

Simply look at the situation from the view of a German Customer who doesn't know much about X-Plane.

The first forum he will find is Aerosoft since Google always points to this group if you look for X-Plane in a german context.

It might be a big surprise for some in this thread but there are no real issues with X-Plane.org . Why ? Well people are only pointed into this direction for Freeware and Payware planes. The forums aren't so appealing if you don't want to get support for a certain plane.

So X-Plane.org is mostly known when new planes or airports are available.

Then you sometimes have discussions about the shortcomings of several Aerosoft Airpoirts (no Exclusion zones, so Collisions with OSM Buildings, sometimes problewms with phototextures, but nothing totally uncommon (as long as we don't talk about the ATR...)

But X-Aviation:

Well: "I bought the DC-3 but my Compass doesn't work..."  "Expect an Update SOMETIMES in the Future..."

You Hype Strategy together with the total failures when it missed its target date... I think there is really a cultural difference. I wasn't really impressed even by the Original when Steve Jobs had another presentation, even when I was sitting in the Moscone Center... This strategy raises more suspicion than anything else. There is a reason why they sometimes use totally different marketing strategies for different countries. A big success in one market might be a disaster in another.

The usual "Why doesn't it support Linux Threads, that are pretty common since Linux isn't unusual in Germany. In fact this is one of the reasons why Laminar has to support Linux. Several of the Key figures like Alpilotx develop under Linux and you don't want to loose them. While they are few, they are also several of the most active members.and key multipliers. That's always the problem.

Do you really believe that people who are useing such an environment develop any trusr for X-Aviation?

I must admit even I switched to a method of "They aren't as bad as they sound..."

I am not really surprised that some newbies are wondering if their data is safe in such a company!

When you finally switched the DC-3 to 64 bit and failed to fixed the compass bug it more or less burned trust!

On average we see about FIVE users complaining per product that we do not have Linux support.

I'm sorry, but that simply isn't financially viable to invest in.

I started a poll on x-pilot and we only got 26 people wanting Linux support. Again, not something viable to invest in.

...but this is now diverging from a thread-topic that should be left alone to rest in peace.

Author of Gizmo64 for X-Plane.

Longranger, at this point you're really just prolonging a thread that should die a gentle death, but...

You Hype Strategy together with the total failures when it missed its target date...

We're talking about the DC-3 here. There was no such hype that happened. We released it when it was ready, never said when it was coming, never gave speculative release times. We did that with the Saab 340 and SkyMaxx Pro. We missed the mark on the Saab 340A by a week for very good reasons, frustrating for us and our users (PMDG had the same issue with the 777). SkyMaxx Pro we made an announcement and we followed through as promised. I don't see the huge deal in the light you're trying to make out of this.

There is a reason why they sometimes use totally different marketing strategies for different countries. A big success in one market might be a disaster in another.

This is X-Plane, not Apple. You're talking about a global company with billions of dollars to do as they please. We're talking about a very niche market of simulation enthusiasts. Radically different. We have tried a number of methods over the years, and as much as you may find the "Coming Soon" method frustrating, it has overwhelmingly proved to be the most effective. This is important in such a market like ours. We aren't going to be able to please everyone, and I know that. Not ideal, but it's true for the market we are in and the revenue stream it creates.

In fact this is one of the reasons why Laminar has to support Linux. Several of the Key figures like Alpilotx develop under Linux and you don't want to loose them. While they are few, they are also several of the most active members.and key multipliers. That's always the problem.

I don't mean this to come off offensive or rude, but I'm very, very well aware of Laminar's stance on Linux and why it only exists today. Let's just say that it really has come down to one very talented individual at this point, and that's about it. This is going to potentially stick a sore thumb in some peoples sides with me saying that, but I've had the discussion many times with the people that matter at Laminar. We were in the Linux market for almost five years before dropping support. This is a business decision we are comfortable with, mainly because the waters have previously been tested.

Do you really believe that people who are useing such an environment develop any trusr for X-Aviation?

This is really a subjective question, and really not appropriate for me to answer. I think people are entitled to form their own opinions, and while unfortunate that they may not always sway in our favor, we continue to strive to do the best we can in making quality add-ons. We're not perfect by any means, we are human, but one thing we certainly are is dedicated to our customers. You can attempt to argue it all day long, but again, that would be subjective opinion, so it's not really worth hashing out here.

Wzhen you finally switched the DC-3 to 64 bit and failed to fixed the compass bug it more or less burned trust!

Wait, what? First off, the compass bug never existed in the final update prior to 64-bit. In fact, the version of the DC-3 prior to 64-bit was really, really, really solid. I'm not sure what burnt trust you're talking about here in the between transition of 32 to 64-bit support. Probably just me not understanding. One update it was broken, the next update it was fixed.

Anyways, thanks for sharing your thoughts, Longranger. I know we're not perfect, but realizing such is the first step to becoming better. To that end, we will.

Founder of X-Aviation

I'm sorry, but that simply isn't financially viable to invest in.

I started a poll on x-pilot and we only got 26 people wanting Linux support. Again, not something viable to invest in.

And therein lies the problem. Strange it doesn't seem to be a too much of a problem for Carenado and most others.

And therein lies the problem. Strange it doesn't seem to be a too much of a problem for Carenado and most others.

You're talking about two completely different scripting languages.  SASL (the scripting language being used in Carenado's add ons) is compatible with Linux.  Gizmo isn't.  The only problem is, SASL cannot do even a third of what Gizmo can do.

One of them is that Gizmo can draw in OpenGL.  SASL cannot.

Troll troll troll your boat, gently down the stream, merrily merrily merrily merily, Linux users makes me want to scream.

Author of Gizmo64 for X-Plane.

I don't think I've ever seen a thread head downhill with such grim determination before.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5