Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Estonia appears to have hosed performance in V2--what did I or it do?

I bought & installed the latest Migration Tool and used it to installed RA Turbine Duke just to have a familiar great plane to play with, and also added FSGenesis USA West Coast Mesh.  I had previously installed, w/o Estonia, FTXG & upgraded REX E+, and all was fabulous performance and otherwise, a few bugs aside.  Then, and the best guess I have is that I changed textures in REX E+ to 4096 from 2048 which is where they had been which became  This became the beginning of seeing performance nearly cut in half!   Plus, the black screen hit for the first time.  Plus, and this must be a hint to those sharper than I, I noticed AERO would be reset to Windows Basic.  GPU usage dropped some and at one point I began wondering if my hardware was damaged and ran AIDA64 only to thankful find that was not the case w/ CPU/Memory/SSD and my GPU tested fine w/ another app.  This didn't happen w/ V2 ever until whatever happened happened.  Another clue as it began taking forever to load a flight whereas w/ the fast SSD it's normally very quickly.  Long and short of it--I just uninstalled V2 after examining every possible issue w/ setup and even rebuilt p3d.cfg file but to no avail.  I'll start fresh tonight after work.

I'd like to at least have the mesh installed again, but now I've become paranoid re Estonia, which I have to guess had something to do with what happened.

Ideas?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I would very much doubt it has anything whatsoever to do with the Migration tool. In your own words. "Whatever happened happened". :)

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the performance issues are more likely related to the add-ons you've installed... not the tool that tricked the installers into thinking P3D was FSX.

4096 cloud textures + plane that isn't fully compatible + FTXG + Mesh that is questionable if compatible and you're blaming a simple app that is nothing more than a cop redirecting traffic?

You just setup an OOM CTD simulation. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I never understand with FSX and now P3D why people insist on these ridiculous 4096x4096 texture sizes and then complain about performance and OOM's.

Add all the other 'yet to be discovered if these need updating for P3Dv2' addons and you have a recipie for disaster with or without a migration tool!

All the Migration tool does is create a symbolic link to fool the installer - there is NO way it can affect performance. I suggest something else is wrong with your setup, Noel.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I never understand with FSX and now P3D why people insist on these ridiculous 4096x4096 texture sizes and then complain about performance and OOM's.

Add all the other 'yet to be discovered if these need updating for P3Dv2' addons and you have a recipie for disaster with or without a migration tool!

couldnt agree more 4096 textures are a dure thing to get an oom

all of the people I know with "computer issues" are igronant

14ppkc-6.png

Ideas?

An idea or two:

P3DV2 will sometimes lose focus (meaning it's now a background application) and you'll see a 50% drop or more when this happens.  Solution is to click on the screen to bring it back in focus.

Also, I've not noticed any difference in performance or VAS usage from 2048 to 4096 textures (GPU VRAM is a different story, that does indeed increase) but I don't think the RealAir uses 4096 textures?  REX clouds is the only element that uses 4096 ... were you running heavy cloud cover?

And finally, what I have noticed is that if I change Shadow settings frequently in a single P3DV2 session, performance starts to drop ... to solve this problem I exit/restart P3DV2 anytime I make a change to the Shadow settings.

Rob

And finally, what I have noticed is that if I change Shadow settings frequently in a single P3DV2 session, performance starts to drop ... to solve this problem I exit P3DV2 after anytime I make a change to the Shadow settings.

Last night I just had the same feelings about messing around with shadows too!

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

I was turning Shadows OFF and the performance got worse and worse, made no sense, so I restarted P3DV2 and all was good.  Now I was testing this at FlightBeams KSFO with FTX 1.1 so I can't really determine what is the cause P3DV2 or FB or Orbx.  I would need to disable those products and do a test again to see if my "theory" is accurate ... but I recall doing something similar on day 1 with no add-ons and noticed the problem.

So to quote that BBC show the "IT Crowd" - have you tried turning it OFF and ON again ;)

I think there have been a few complaints around addon textures from rex and as2012. Use the weather programs to inject weather but DO NOT use their cloud textures yet. I get great performance using the default clouds. I won't be using any 3rd party water textures any time soon either. I have a feeling that some of this stuff  that worked great in DX9 world isn't ready for DX11 yet. Some will use them anyways, and their performance will take a huge hit because of it. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scott

KGPI

Banner_MJC1.png

4096 cloud textures + plane that isn't fully compatible + FTXG + Mesh that is questionable if compatible and you're blaming a simple app that is nothing more than a cop redirecting traffic?

You just setup an OOM CTD simulation. 

I've used 4096 textures off and on in FSX and never ever had OOMs, nor have I yet w/ V2.  Relax, I'm not blaming, I'm asking and giving background clues, that's all.  Others have installed the Duke and I haven't heard of issues.  Your reply was nice for you but doesn't help a bit.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I'm officially giving up on trying to convey to people about the consequences of loading up a sim released in 2013 full of addons developed for a sim released in 2006...   

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

couldnt agree more 4096 textures are a dure thing to get an oom

all of the people I know with "computer issues" are igronant

At least I can spell/type though eh?  You durely are an igronant idoit!  Somebody please take these fools out of here so intelligent help can fill the responses to legitimate questions.

Noel

I'm officially giving up on trying to convey to people about the consequences of loading up a sim released in 2013 full of addons developed for a sim released in 2006...   

Agreed! Folks…wait for development to catch up to the new sim!

Scott

KGPI

Banner_MJC1.png