Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Estonia appears to have hosed performance in V2--what did I or it do?

I used it for the Duke V2 and got a black screen also, that required me to delete my P3d.cfg.  I stopped running P3D for various reasons, I plan on giving it a little more time. I know of one developer that is making a P3DV2 only Aircraft so it will be interesting to see what that can offer.

I think there have been a few complaints around addon textures from rex and as2012. Use the weather programs to inject weather but DO NOT use their cloud textures yet. I get great performance using the default clouds. I won't be using any 3rd party water textures any time soon either. I have a feeling that some of this stuff  that worked great in DX9 world isn't ready for DX11 yet. Some will use them anyways, and their performance will take a huge hit because of it. 

Still depends on the system, setup and the user. I installed AS2012 textures day one and have had no issues. Actually, I find them better than in FSX as far as FPS with heavy thundercloud activity. Actually, I should say smoother - with FSX in certain areas with heavy dark clouds, I'd get a frame drop and an occasional stutter. With P3D2 I get no stutter and I don't bother with frames - they are locked at 20 and do not go below that.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I was turning Shadows OFF and the performance got worse and worse, made no sense, so I restarted P3DV2 and all was good.  Now I was testing this at FlightBeams KSFO with FTX 1.1 so I can't really determine what is the cause P3DV2 or FB or Orbx.  I would need to disable those products and do a test again to see if my "theory" is accurate ... but I recall doing something similar on day 1 with no add-ons and noticed the problem.

So to quote that BBC show the "IT Crowd" - have you tried turning it OFF and ON again ;)

Thank you Rob I knew about the 'loses focus' issue, and believe me I stopped/started V2 several times, checking this and that and even copied the default texture folder back in when all else failed (so had no REX textures present).  Oh well, starting over tonight but at least I understand setting it up well.  Since I had no issues until the attempt to installed 4096 cloud textures I'll leave it at 2048 and hopefully be back to where I was.  I have noticed it's pretty easy to keep the GPU from hitting 100% utilization just by limiting frames internally to 30 or so.  Kind of interesting to run it unlimited, after which you can 'titrate' on added load to a reasonable GPU utlization, noting which ones have the most impact.  Of note, prior to the meltdown, in the Duke at KSBA I had all AND vegetation shadows on and shadows at Ultra and w/ frames limited to 30 still hit only around 91% GPU utilization.  I'm intrigued w/ an external limiter and will try that soon too as I still see a big hit when internally limiting over unlimited.  For example, if you set frames at say 40 in a given situation and it's struggling to maintain 40, you can change to unlimited and you will likely see maybe 46-50, and I don't see any downside now in terms of texture loading etc.  Inspector's limiter doesn't work, along w/ many other driver settings.

I used it for the Duke V2 and got a black screen also, that required me to delete my P3d.cfg.  I stopped running P3D for various reasons, I plan on giving it a little more time. I know of one developer that is making a P3DV2 only Aircraft so it will be interesting to see what that can offer.

Thanks for the heads up on the Duke.

Agreed! Folks…wait for development to catch up to the new sim!

That was my plan, but became impatient to get something familiar to fly in.  It ran fabulously until it didn't...

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

It ran fabulously until it didn't...

I believe Tim (REX) indicated that they spent a few months reworking REX specific to P3DV2 ... don't know the details of that work.  I think there is going to be a period of learning for user and developer for P3DV2 and how to best utilize DX11 ... I'm very impressed it's worked as well as it has with my existing 3rd party products.  And I've not touched the Prepar3D.cfg yet (big plus for those users who don't want to mess with their flight sim to get it to work).

There are clearly issues with some products (FSDT airports vary greatly in the visual issues and performance issues which Humberto has confirmed) ... for example KLAX is rock solid smooth, no fps hit at all, yet CYVR has issues with shadows, AF, and a big hit in FPS.  FTX 1.1 has floating buildings (actually default P3DV2 has floating buildings) which is probably a LM issue.  So far it's been hit or miss.

Like I said earlier, LM will need to get nVidia/AMD engineering support so they can workout the driver details (similar to every other software game/sim publisher).

Some 3rd party content providers are being cautious, I think they want to see a few patches before they make any "major" changes/adjustments to their products - fair enough, I can understand the caution.

LM seemed to indicate updates will be frequent and regular ... when's the last time we saw an update to the FSX.EXE ... LOL ;)

Sometimes I think people forget just how much it took to get FSX working reasonably well (far from perfect on release and even after SP2).  And XP10 is no different, it's had a series of updates/fixes and has pending issues - but it is being worked on.  As an FS enthusiast, just have to make the best out of it and stay positive and try on interim solutions/work arounds.

It'll get there eventually.

BTW, I haven't used the Estonia tool.  I have it, just not used it yet.  I have a product called SysTracer that I've setup to monitor system changes, take snapshots prior to any installs (includes registry entries also).

Rob.