Sign in to follow this  
Q_flyer

Wow!

Im am absolutly itching to get p3d... However im very apprentisive as my current fsx has never ran better... take a lot at my twitch when im online, I can run it more or less on max with no issues..

For me to drop the partiction, reformat and install windows 7 + sp's udates, then install fsx and sps, 300gb of megascenry earth, 50 gigs of horizon vfr, and 10 gigs or orbx, and then 100 gigs of mesh and addons scnenery,ut2  and payware aircraft, then 3 days of defrag the hurting hdds... its will take near on 2 weeks...

So I dont want it to be a wasted 2 weeks... hence the caution of going ahead and doing it...

on another note and sorry if its asked before I already own 1.4... so I guess I have pay again for the 2.0 version ??? I cant just "upgrade"  ?????

tebbs

14ppkc-6.png

I'm one more on the positive side. Absolutely beautiful flights using Orbx, AS2012, TrackIR and MyTraffic. Absolutely smooth with brilliant graphics. I made NO tweaks to the cfg file. Running at 20fps with TBM at 30 - no Affinity Mask.  Absolutely perfect.

Unlike FSX, P3D2 runs fine at 20fps with no stutters, blurries or any other issue. With my system I can run it unlimited adnstay at 60FPS or lock it at 30FPS but what for? Honestly - SMOOTH IS SMOOTH. Increasing the FPS will give me absolutely NOTHING but bragging rights. If it's perfect at 20 and perfect at 60 - I pick 20 - it's easier on the system.

For the record, I could not do that with FSX even though my FSX system is just as strong as this one. When I got into the low 20's in FSX, I started to have little micro stutters.

I'll say this again -  start with the default P3D2 settings - do NOT add any 'tweaks' and fly for a while. Then slowly increase your settings. If you have a problem - REBOOT - this is important - if you have a problem and just restart the sim and change the settings, I have found that things are not "clean" - other unrelated problems pile up and then you run into CTD's or black screen.

And for me - the first step when I first built this system for P3D v1  was to follow the guidelines in NickN's bible for setting up the OS.

It's what worked for me. Other than the AA and a few minor menu changes I'd like to see, P3D2 runs perfectly and far better visually than FSX.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I would like to see your settings and specs also.  I also tried the ORBX Iceland Demo and was really impressed.  The performance was actually better than any default scenery.

Thanks,

Bill

Hey Dave. what I think would be a logical and a much appreciated gesture,  would be if you were to post your P3D slider settings (screenies would be best), your full PC specs and any cfg tweaks that you may have made. I think there are of guys who are giving up on P3D and if they were to have some kind of yardstick then it might help :wink:

No problem Howard, I'll do that this evening, once I get these pesky kids to bed  :smile:

I saw Word Not Allowed's blog about P3D autogen performance, and I was dissapointed completely. I wanted to buy it. :(
Also, my friend bought P3D 2.0, and he also got very bad performance with GTX 560 card (same as mine). His FSX usualy is at 30-40 fps on aproaches, and 60 while cruising WITH the same settings as in P3D, where the fps can't reach 30, with HUGE stutters.  But he will upgrade his machine so he will not ask for a refund

Anyway, from my point of view, FSX is FPS eater, and P3D 2.0 is the father of fps eaters, so c ya until I upgrade my machine. Not soon, because I don't have to, FSX is working good with DX10.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Exactly.  The same slider names not only have different values but actually influence different things.

But if somebody wants to stay in the disappointing and frustrating past because of something fairly irrelevant that they read on some blog, feel free.

I'm one more on the positive side. Absolutely beautiful flights using Orbx, AS2012, TrackIR and MyTraffic. Absolutely smooth with brilliant graphics. I made NO tweaks to the cfg file. Running at 20fps with TBM at 30 - no Affinity Mask.  Absolutely perfect.

Unlike FSX, P3D2 runs fine at 20fps with no stutters, blurries or any other issue. With my system I can run it unlimited adnstay at 60FPS or lock it at 30FPS but what for? Honestly - SMOOTH IS SMOOTH. Increasing the FPS will give me absolutely NOTHING but bragging rights. If it's perfect at 20 and perfect at 60 - I pick 20 - it's easier on the system.

Just one thing to add though - I would bet you're not a TrackIR user? ....... 20 FPS can be absolutely fine if you're not using TrackIR and your display is mainly static, but those who do, will know that 20 FPS definitely doesn't cut it.     The whole experience with TrackIR becomes choppy once you're below about 26 FPS IMHO.

I saw Word Not Allowed's blog about P3D autogen performance, and I was dissapointed completely. I wanted to buy it. :(

At this point (just 10 days after release), Word Not Allowed knows no more about P3D2 than any of us in this forum.   Don't blindly follow prophets!   I have read his 'report' and hand on heart disagreed with almost every finding, based on my own first hand experience so far.

Great shots! Am I right to understand REX and Opus dobt suffer from the high temperature issue in P3D?

Sent from my Mobile thing

At this point (just 10 days after release), Word Not Allowed knows no more about P3D2 than any of us in this forum.   Don't blindly follow prophets!   I have read his 'report' and hand on heart disagreed with almost every finding, based on my own first hand experience so far.

First of all, he is not a prophet. He did a very simple performance test, with VISUALLY same settings. If level of detail is the same when you compare the two, then performance test is valid. I don't care is autogen batch job if different, or autogen doesn't pop up. With VISUALLY the same settings he got 50% lower FPS in P3D 2.0. And he has pretty good machine.

That is why he did a very simple test, to avoid any conflicts between the two platforms.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Man I really don't understand people having issues with P3D performance. I think one should do a little investigative work on their own before making conclusions based on some blogger.

I run this hot beast on a laptop computer with an i7 and 650m GeForce card. I get 20-40fps. If you can't enjoy those frames with full autogen and clouds, then nothing will satisfy you.

Just one thing to add though - I would bet you're not a TrackIR user? ....... 20 FPS can be absolutely fine if you're not using TrackIR and your display is mainly static, but those who do, will know that 20 FPS definitely doesn't cut it. The whole experience with TrackIR becomes choppy once you're below about 26 FPS IMHO.

Umm - did you read my post? I don't fly without it.

"

I'm one more on the positive side. Absolutely beautiful flights using Orbx, AS2012, TrackIR and MyTraffic. Absolutely smooth with brilliant graphics. I made NO tweaks to the cfg file. Running at 20fps with TBM at 30 - no Affinity Mask. Absolutely perfect

"

TIR works perfectly with no glitches or hitches no tearing or swearing!

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Hey Dave. what I think would be a logical and a much appreciated gesture, would be if you were to post your P3D slider settings (screenies would be best), your full PC specs and any cfg tweaks that you may have made. I think there are of guys who are giving up on P3D and if they were to have some kind of yardstick then it might help :wink:

I posted some comparisons here http://forum.avsim.net/index.php?/topic/428023-Comparisons-one-week-on%2E%2E%2E/page__view__findpost__p__2869907 exactly for the reasons you mentioned. It's only when you look back, that you realise just how far we've come.

I'm simply loving every bit of it. I'm sure that most of us know FSX like the back of our hand. It's an old friend. In fact, its a work of genius. P3D is not new, it has inherited the genes of greatness!

First of all, he is not a prophet. He did a very simple performance test, with VISUALLY same settings. If level of detail is the same when you compare the two, then performance test is valid. I don't care is autogen batch job if different, or autogen doesn't pop up. With VISUALLY the same settings he got 50% lower FPS in P3D 2.0. And he has pretty good machine.

That is why he did a very simple test, to avoid any conflicts between the two platforms.

Look, I am a big fan of Word Not Allowed's but this was a SIMPLE test on HIS system. I will venture I have as much if not more computer experience than Word Not Allowed and it did not do that on MY system. Is he WRONG? No way and neither am I. Each system is different and believe me, if you use the SAME methods to test P3D2 as you do FSX - you will have a problem. They are NOT the same animal. Problem is that many people see P3D2 as an FSX upgrade - it is it's OWN product and the sooner we get it into our heads, the easier it will be to move on.

Simple points -

1) What works for me on my system may not work for you on your system

2) Taking what anyone else says as a reason to buy or not to buy is foolish

3) you have a 60 day money back guarantee - buy it and make your own decision - I fail to see any problem

Vic

Ok, I will buy it, and will test in a couple of days. Refund policy changed my mind. But I'm not optimistic about performance at all, simply because I don't have a card good enough for it (1GB gtx 560 OC).

BTW it's not about 25 or 30 frames, it is about huge stutters, very anoying. In FSX DX10, 25fps is smooth, I don't have a problem with that.