Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Orbx RV-4 is out

http://www.flightsimstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=2666

I'll probably get it but awaiting reports.  One user reported low fps with the glass instrument over at their forums.  It does look real nice though!  And it has RXP native 3d integration!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Immediate pass from me.. Same guy who made the Lancair made this.. Lancair as beautiful as the model was; was just boring and a resource hog..  The HD models were beyond excessive in 4096/2048 textures and guaranteed you an OOM sooner or later and the SD models looked ugly because they went from a 4096 exterior texture to a 1024 exterior texture and it was still a resource hog.

I'll take my beautiful BayTower RV-7 any day of the week! 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

See I enjoyed the Lancair IV-P (and flew it often until the lovely RealAir Legacy came out!).  I heard a lot of you guys mentioning the mip-mapped issues and shimmering in the cockpit but I really never noticed that.  Maybe it's because I use a VC zoom of about 1.00 (more realistic with TIR).

4096 agreed is overkill.  But 1024 is too low of res, and for instance, the RealAir Duke has a nice compromise at 2048 textures.  I've got the BT RV-7 as well - a good plane but the developer went AWOL hehe.  There was a few issues needing to be addressed that never happened.  That is a little frustrating to me.

Anyway the RV-4 is definitely a different type of modelling, but it's a fast GA single, with a different sort of cockpit setup.  If I can get some opinions on fps I'll get it.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I heard a lot of you guys mentioning the mip-mapped issues and shimmering in the cockpit but I really never noticed that.  Maybe it's because I use a VC zoom of about 1.00 (more realistic with TIR).

With Supersampling AA you won't get any shimmering with the Orbx Lancair. When the plane came out many graphic cards were not capable of SSAA without a huge performance hit and stuttering. But today the state of the art video cards can handle this like a charm.

The Lancair is a very enjoyable plane to fly and I hope the RV-4 will be the same.

Wolfgang

Well I bought it.  FPS are horrible.  At Orbx's KBVS, with some weather, I get 27 fps in C172's VC cold and dark.  I get 20 in the RV4.  When I turn on the avionics they plummet to 15...

The avionics are really advanced though wow!  They did a wonderful job!!!.... just the fps are low.  And OOM is looming lol... VAS already at 3.5 GB (but with LOD 5.5)

Argh... oh well time to learn the plane.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

It's GNS430W only if you're curious.

The more I fly it the better I like it.  The FPS aren't great but I was testing with worst case scenario (payware airport in payware scenery, with payware plane and LOD 5.5)

Still no actual OOM.  Note my "older" i5 2500K system.  You people with haswell should be just fine.

Real nice avionics, decent sounds, effects, good modelling.  Still learning the in-depth avionics.  It also has some sort of maintenance module I haven't really touched it.  And I just found circuit breakers are modeled!!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

So it's been out for about a month.  I've used it a bit to test it out.  In short if you have an older PC I wouldn't recommend this.  Glass is far too heavy on fps.

On the positive side of things it's probably heavy because the avionics are really well done, at least in terms of systems modeled.  There's many working areas of the unit itself.  Unfortunately I find the clickspots ultra tiny and the display is not very intuitive to operate.  Whether that's a fault of the real world designer I'm not sure.  I found I had to pause Track IR quite often to use the avionics.  

RXP integration is pretty good, though there are some issues between Orbx custom avionics and the RXP GNS430.

The plane itself is slower than I thought (maybe a conversion issue when I web searched the speed).  It only does around 140 kias at max forward.  Turns out to be about 85-87% power.  I think it should go faster but I'm not a RV4 pilot.  There are no parking brakes that I can locate.

Night lighting is decent, but is poor around the PFD.  It's basically impossible to locate the buttons at night.  External night lighting is excellent.

Sounds are still excellent.

All in all worth it if you're looking for low and slow (not low n fast like I hoped it would be, it's definitely no RV7).  But you need a fast PC to keep up the fps.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "The Unofficial ORBX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

The plane itself is slower than I thought (maybe a conversion issue when I web searched the speed). It only does around 140 kias at max forward. Turns out to be about 85-87% power. I think it should go faster but I'm not a RV4 pilot. There are no parking brakes that I can locate.

From Van's website. Speed at solo weight is 213 mph for a 180 HP engine, and 201 for the 150HP, and 205 for 160 HP. Gross weight is slightly less. Convert MPH to knots, and indicated to ground speed. Parking brakes are not that common in a four, although they're installed a lot more airframes, these days.

L.Adamson --- RV6A builder, and former owner.

Did you end up selling yours? Are you going to fly again?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Did you end up selling yours? Are you going to fly again?

Kind of..............scrap prices.

It was all torn apart, as I had liability insurance only, after my out of state landing mishap, and expensive prop strike. A friend & RV builder bought it. I had started converting it to a tail dragger, and ripped a lot of the gear supports out, as well as the panel. He changed it back to a nose gear, had the engine disasembled and rebuilt by an A&P. He's spent about four months of labor on it, and has sold it to a former 777 pilot. It should fly again soon.

I probably won't be flying anymore as PIC. It's a medical thing. Just doing radio control again, after leaving it for 20 years.