Sign in to follow this  
mcspookster

Huge performance diff - FTX England & Iceland Demo

Just an 'FYI' really - I have both of these installed and the fps difference is massive.  I get more fps in Iceland with REX severe weather than I do in England with no weather at all.  In England, turning in particular causes horrible fps drops.

Obviously something to do with the FTX Iceland demo being V2 ready, and England not - worth bearing in mind if you're using 'non-official' addons.

The good news is I can fly in Iceland and get super-smooth 40 fps +, with great scenery, great sky and cloud textures and real time weather.  That'll do me for the time being. :)

I think it's got more to do with the fact that the products are not made by the same dev team and that one is a barren wasteland and the other is a lush country with millions of buildings and billions of trees. There are probably more passengers passing through Manchester airport in a week than the whole population of Iceland.

Cheers, Andy.

I think it's got more to do with the fact that the products are not made by the same dev team and that one is a barren wasteland and the other is a lush country with millions of buildings and billions of trees. There are probably more passengers passing through Manchester airport in a month than the whole population of Iceland.

LOL I also think this plays a big part. 

Obviously something to do with the FTX Iceland demo being V2 ready, and England not

Iceland is just as P3D 2.0 ready as any FTX add-on: Orbx only and simply added the path to 2.0 in the installer. That's it. They didn't make any textures actually compatible. But they are finding out now that a few things do actually need to be changed and updated (they are investigating two problems with FTX Global). It seems everyone is thinking that simply making the installer 2.0 ready makes the add-on itself 2.0 compatible but that clearly isn't the case! 

I think it's got more to do with the fact that the products are not made by the same dev team and that one is a barren wasteland and the other is a lush country with millions of buildings and billions of trees. There are probably more passengers passing through Manchester airport in a week than the whole population of Iceland.

Well, I imagine that overall England would be more demanding than Iceland.  But I am flying over rural areas in England, using no weather, and getting up to a 20fps reduction when compared to Iceland + REX. I think that is too much of a difference for just the differing autogen levels to be the cause.  In England, even lowering my settings didn't have much impact.

Turn off autogen and measure the differential.....

To get the existing ORBX stuff on P3DV2 I simply linked to the files in V1.4 in the P3DV2  Scenery Manager. Does that work - sort of. Not everything shows up in V2. But better than old "FSX landclass"! No I can't afford Global.

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

How did you manage to install FTX England? Mine refuses to install!

I did the reg tweak, symbiotic link thing.  I can't find the link atm but it basically redirects the 1.4 installer to your 2.0 directory and also allows for auto updating of the scenery.cfg. 

I see! If you can dig up the link I'd appreciate it as my searches are proving to be fruitless so far

I did the reg tweak, symbiotic link thing.  I can't find the link atm but it basically redirects the 1.4 installer to your 2.0 directory and also allows for auto updating of the scenery.cfg. 

Yep that works just fine but a lot of adjustments the make for the devs there lol ;-)

André