Sign in to follow this  
Pe11e

Ice Age in FSX...

It is 4th of December, and the whole eastern Europe is covered with snow. And that is the fall texture set! And guess what, at the moment in Europe the situation is not even close to that. In FSX is a freakin' ice age! I'm ok with that when I fire up FSGRW or similiar weather app, and the weather is snowy. But when the weather is clear, and without snow for days, I can't accept whiteness all over. Is there any was to change that?

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Change the month back to November.

Edit: If not, it will be that way until about March.

Pretty much the case, though there is at least one scenery vendor (and most likely others I'm not aware of) who distinguish between "winter" and "hard winter" and are a bit more discerning of local variations in their landclass definitions, providing a bit more gradation.

Scott

Yep, that is the solution, but if I made a flight in FSCaptain which is scheduled 4th December 1315 gmt, I must choose that date and time to be able to start that flight. Also I want to use a weather from 4th of December, particualry because I've never flown an airliner during fall/winter in FSX, and experienced specific winter weather.

I can fly and make scheduled flight for September/October, but I'm sick of historic flights and summer weather, I want something new (winter real weather).

Pretty much the case, though there is at least one scenery vendor (and most likely others I'm not aware of) who distinguish between "winter" and "hard winter" and are a bit more discerning of local variations in their landclass definitions, providing a bit more gradation.

Scott

I'm using FTXG, and clearly ORBX doesn't distinguish between "winter" and "hard winter".

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

I'm using FTXG, and clearly ORBX doesn't distinguish between "winter" and "hard winter".

Don't have FTXG so I can't say, but Orbx' NA regions (and at least some of their airports) do.  I expect there are other scenery vendors who do the same.

Scott

It is 4th of December, and the whole eastern Europe is covered with snow. And that is the fall texture set! And guess what, at the moment in Europe the situation is not even close to that. In FSX is a freakin' ice age! I'm ok with that when I fire up FSGRW or similiar weather app, and the weather is snowy. But when the weather is clear, and without snow for days, I can't accept whiteness all over. Is there any was to change that?

If by chance you have UT2 for traffic, it has a utility to update the timezone to match the season. Barring that do a search in the FSX section of the library for "timezone" There some timezone mods there that may help you.

Edit: Scratch that, I was thinking of the other seasonal problem! :LOL: This wouldn't apply here. Sorry

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

FTXG uses the default seasons.bgl so whatever you see with regard to seasons is what shipped with FSX. Orbx most certainly does differentiate between "mild winter" and "hard winter" BTW, however if seasons.bgl doesn't define an actual hard winter in your area then the textures won't be called. The Orbx regions on the other hand have custom, more accurate seasons defined for the coverage area.

You can open seasons.bgl with TMFViewer from the SDK, jump to your lat/lon position, and cycle through the months if you want to know which textures are being called for a given area/season. Seasons in FSX are defined by month of year so there's no middle ground, if snow typically covers the ground in your area on Dec 15th in the real world for example, you have a choice of making hard winter in FSX begin either on Dec 1st or Jan 1st, no finer control than that unfortunately. It is possible however to make a seasons adjustment .bgl for a small localized area if it means a lot to you, the process has been outlined in several threads over at fsdeveloper.com.

Jim

Life is too short to be stuck in winter....use the wonderful features in the setting page to change the day, month, year, time of day.....my default always starts in summer.  Or go south to Australia and New Zealand.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Hi Folks

It is 4th of December, and the whole eastern Europe is covered with snow.

And that is the fall texture set!

No, its the 'Hard Winter' texture set.

An indicator of the effects of seasons.bgl can be seen at -

FSX - Seasons - Europe & N Africa

A series of 12 screenies displaying a years worth

of month-by-month landclass changes for Europe & N Africa, (as seen in-game).

HTH
ATB
Paul

Cool, thanks.

Now I must find how to open BGL file and edit seasons.bgl. Meh, simple. :)

Or... come to my playground - X-plane 10!!!! You'll be free from that snow-covered scenery, but... OTOH, if you can bring some we will really appreciate !!!   :smile:

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Or... come to my playground - X-plane 10!!!! You'll be free from that snow-covered scenery, but... OTOH, if you can bring some we will really appreciate !!!   :smile:

Thanks, but no thanks. Been there done that. Didn't liked it at all. As I said in another thread, I've tried the demo at least 3 times, and hated it a lot. Shame. But I bought P3D 2.0, muuuch better than XP 10, but that is all a matter of choice, I don't want to start a discussion here.

Dec 4th hard winter already in Minnesota with snow making all white around. Subzero included could be worse like -60 in tower Minnesota in dead of winter.