Sign in to follow this  
Scupper

Installation folder

With FSX, it was sometimes said that you shouldn't install into the default directory, C:\Program files (X86), because Windows 7 had some strange permissions attached to it which could cause problems of some kind.

Having messed up my first install of P3D2 with some dodgy scenery that didn't work, I'm wondering whether the same advice applies to P3D2 for my new installation. Can anyone more knowledgeable than me see any reasons against using the default directory (which is the same as that above)?  

Many thanks.

Of course - why NOT install it like FSX in a folder outside the standard? The best is to use a dedicated partition or drive.

Spirit

I in fact never ever install anything (if possible) into that default folder. And certainly not P3D!  ^_^

There seems to be a consensus then...

Strange that there is a particular folder that is worse than all the others and it tends to be the default one.

Thanks for your replies, - I'll just put it in its own folder on the C drive (which is a 1TB SSD)

Strange that there is a particular folder that is worse than all the others and it tends to be the default one.

Thank Microsoft for trying to "protect" you.

The only things that should be installed to Program Files are stand-alone programs that no third-party software will ever have to interact with.  Anything that you're going to be installing extensions, add-ons, or mods to should never be in Program Files or you're going to have problems.

This is a really good point that I had forgotten about.  Should this perhaps be a pinned topic so people know to not install P3d in the Program Files drive?

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

I wonder why Lockheed Martin then chose C:\Program Files(x86) as the default?

To avoid liability issues by not making a potentially "less safe" installation option the default?

Speaking of installation folder, I have not downloaded P3D2 yet, I have a 256gb ssd with everything on it...... OS, files, few games ect.  My other drive is D drive and it is a WD HDD with 2 TB with nothing at all on it. Are you saying that I should download and install P3D2 on my blank D drive?  Would it work even without a OS on that drive?  Doesn't P3D2 have to have an OS for it to work? How would I go about doing that? I have always downloaded games even FSX with tons of addon's on the Program file and never had any problems. But what do I know??  Thank you topic starter for this thread.

There seems to be a consensus then...

Thanks for your replies, - I'll just put it in its own folder on the C drive (which is a 1TB SSD)

Oh, I see now what you are talking about just make its  own P3D2 folder within C drive.  Got ya.

Regards

Lamar Wright

To avoid liability issues by not making a potentially "less safe" installation option the default?

Have you read section 8. Licensee Responsibility and Indemnity of the EULA?

Lockheed Martin not only disclaims responsibility for everything, but we agree to pay Lockheed Martin if necessary!

Have you read section 8. Licensee Responsibility and Indemnity of the EULA?

Lockheed Martin not only disclaims responsibility for everything, but we agree to pay Lockheed Martin if necessary!

Sure, but when have you ever heard a lawyer say "we don't need to take that precaution" ?

Can somebody please help.  How do you install in a location other than C:\Program Files(x86) ?

Thanks

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Can somebody please help.  How do you install in a location other than C:\Program Files(x86) ?

Thanks

At the first Installer screen, click on the "Options" tab. Navigate to whatever drive/folderpath/name you want to use. Or, simply type in what you want the drive/folderpath/name you want. It will be created automatically.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

My other drive is D drive and it is a WD HDD with 2 TB with nothing at all on it. Are you saying that I should download and install P3D2 on my blank D drive?   But what do I know?? 

Oh, I see now what you are talking about just make its  own P3D2 folder within C drive.  Got ya.

Yes you can install to any location in your computer even an empty drive :smile:

Look at it this way, you wouldn't be able to see the drive if the OS didn't recognise it,

so if it does, it will be able to operate any software on it.

Regards,

Nick.

I wonder when developers will understand the purpose of the Program Files folders?