Sign in to follow this  
autopilot

At what CALLOUT should we nose-up in FSX?

Hello, Guys!

In FSX, when I fly Boeing 737-800, I Nose-Up this Aircraft at CALLOUT 2. Means when an automatic voice comes as 2 during landing, then I nose up a bit and land the B738. It lands successfully, on CALLOUT 2.

So question is that on what CALLOUT should I UP the NOSE of B747-400, so that it lands successfully? Boeing 747 doesn't work on CALLOUT 2 and lands before it.

Best Regards,

AP,

Hi, AP!

I'm sorry to say I'm a bit confused - what exactly is the callout 2? As far as I am aware, there is no such thing - the callouts would rather be 200, 100, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10 or something similar. I guess an additional radio altimeter reading would be helpful in this situation, just to verify which altitude you start the flare ("nose-up").

For the record "Up the nose" is called "Flare"  :wink:

According to Captain Mike Ray in his 744 check ride manual (a great read BTW and highly recommended).

"Begin with a stabilized approach on the glide path, on speed and in trim. At about 30ft you want to start to increase pitch to 2-3 degrees. This is all you need to slow the rate of descent without setting up a float situation. After the flare is set, slowly retard the throttles to idle and make small pitch attitude adjustments. Ideally, the touchdown should occur about the same time the throttles reach the idle position"

With that now out of the way, what version of 744 are you flying? This works well in the PMDG 744. But the default? I do not think so....

Hi, AP!

I'm sorry to say I'm a bit confused - what exactly is the callout 2? As far as I am aware, there is no such thing - the callouts would rather be 200, 100, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10 or something similar. I guess an additional radio altimeter reading would be helpful in this situation, just to verify which altitude you start the flare ("nose-up").

I was really on error. It was 20 ft. You're right.

For the record "Up the nose" is called "Flare"  :wink:

According to Captain Mike Ray in his 744 check ride manual (a great read BTW and highly recommended).

"Begin with a stabilized approach on the glide path, on speed and in trim. At about 30ft you want to start to increase pitch to 2-3 degrees. This is all you need to slow the rate of descent without setting up a float situation. After the flare is set, slowly retard the throttles to idle and make small pitch attitude adjustments. Ideally, the touchdown should occur about the same time the throttles reach the idle position"

With that now out of the way, what version of 744 are you flying? This works well in the PMDG 744. But the default? I do not think so....

OK I try to flare at 30 ft. 

I've FSX's Built-in default B747-400.

Another thing guys! I flare the plane by mouse. So what the exact thing to see how much the plane is pitch up? Can anyone tell me?

"Begin with a stabilized approach on the glide path, on speed and in trim. At about 30ft you want to start to increase pitch to 2-3 degrees.

This probably should read

"Begin with a stabilized approach on the glide path, on speed and in trim. At about 30ft you want to start to increase pitch another 2-3 degrees., because on approach you probably are already at a 2 to 3 degree up angle.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Another thing guys! I flare the plane by mouse. So what the exact thing to see how much the plane is pitch up? Can anyone tell me?

Use the lines on the PFD.  The Blue and Brown Square shows the aircrafts pitch attitude.

GS is from 3 to 6.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Actually the book says

"increase pitch attitude approximately 2-3" not "to" as originally posted.

That sounds more accurate!

His check ride manuals are an awesome read. 

Use the lines on the PFD.  The Blue and Brown Square shows the aircrafts pitch attitude.

Look at this picture: http://m0.i.pbase.com/g3/23/582523/2/87796100.y8BRAc8n.jpg

In this picture how many degrees is the pitch? OR show me any other way to read the pitch.

I'm sorry I've a well level of FSX but cannot read pitch of Aircraft.

Can you show me PFD when Aircraft is on 3 degree high pitch?

2.5 degree intervals, so 2.5 in that picture

Edit, looking closer at that picture they are cruising with the nose up slightly higher then 2.5

During the flare the last thing you should be doing is staring at the PFD trying to get an exact pitch attitude. Gross weight & Vref will effect the optimum pitch attitude.

Just focus on landing firm within the touchdown zone and avoid 12.5 degrees which is your limit for a tail strike on the 744

Regards

Rob Prest

From what I have seen you should start to increase pitch very slightly at 40 ft and then a bit quicker at 30 ft with the goal to have the nosed to 2-3 degrees raised just after 10 ft.

You can see it really well here:

Arjen, random youtube videos are the worse way to learn how to handle an airliner. Just follow the FCTM

Rob Prest

From what I have seen you should start to increase pitch very slightly at 40 ft and then a bit quicker at 30 ft with the goal to have the nosed to 2-3 degrees raised just after 10 ft.

You can see it really well here:

Server Refused Connection coming in your post. So please give me any other resource. Youtube ban in my country.