Sign in to follow this  
jgoggi

Windshear and ASN

Any intention from the developers to create a WORKING windshear detection system in the NGX? Now that ActiveSky Next will have windshear, the excuse that "FSX does not simulate a windshear" is no longer valid...

James Goggi

Now that ActiveSky Next will have windshear, the excuse that "FSX does not simulate a windshear" is no longer valid...

Cart before horse issue.

It's no longer valid if they pull it off.  I'm optimistic, but it's not really fair to say various limitation arguments are no longer valid when the final product hasn't been delivered yet.

I think it's best to wait for the product to live up to the promises before jumping to conclusions.

Kyle Rodgers

From the Video they posted it looked like a complete joke, really terrible. I have a lot of respect for the AS developers but they need to do better then that. At least it is still in Beta so they have time to improve the system, I doubt very much they can pull it off with such a limited engine.

Rob Prest

From the Video they posted it looked like a complete joke, really terrible. I have a lot of respect for the AS developers but they need to do better then that. At least it is still in Beta so they have time to improve the system, I doubt very much they can pull it off with such a limited engine.

I can't understand based on what you say it's a joke... Further, the beta is almost over, ASN will be released in 5 days....

James Goggi

have you seen the video posted on the main FSX forum? The video entitled MICROBURST that consists of a 767 happily rolling down the ILS in some moderate chop with GPWS shouting Windshear Windshear! :)

Rob Prest

Yes, I've seen it, if I remember well the airplane performs a go around in the end... What's wrong with it?

James Goggi

Yes, I've seen it, if I remember well the airplane performs a go around in the end... What's wrong with it?

I already explained what is wrong with that vid over on the main FSX forum.

1. Real life microburst - At first windshear callout, set TOGA thrust and follow the windshear escape procedure, likely whilst fighting the stick shaker and praying.

2. Active sky video - cruising down the ILS, Windshear warning sounds around eight times with no pilot reaction, aircraft behaves like an average day into Tokyo, no sink rate, in fact nothing even mildly threatening about the weather. He does go missed because he is screwing up the approach.

Anyway good luck to the guys at AS! I will still be purchasing, just taking a lot of the hype with a pinch of salt, with the amount of weather addons available they all have to shout about being the next big thing.

Regards

Rob Prest

If it was possible to ask the Delta 191 (KDFW 8-85) crew they would tell you it is a life and death struggle and not a couple of bumps in the road.

Michael Cubine

Anyway good luck to the guys at AS! I will still be purchasing, just taking a lot of the hype with a pinch of salt, with the amount of weather addons available they all have to shout about being the next big thing.

Exactly.  I think a lot of people assume that I'm trying to take them down or something because I keep holding out on getting excited until it's released.  Having seen claims about groundbreaking advances before, I know how people latch onto the hope that their dreams will be answered, only to be disappointed later.  I'll still buy it for the other advantages it'll bring to the table (because most of those are improvements on earlier versions), but I don't think people should be posting topics like these in the assumption that all problems will now be solved by the program before even seeing the final product.

Kyle Rodgers

Talking about  the wind shear warning and using  asn I got it  using the other aircraft which iam not going to mention,  I got the audio warning  when taking off in thunderstorms

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Ok, so I think PMDG should add this feature in a next SP...

James Goggi

have you seen the video posted on the main FSX forum? The video entitled MICROBURST that consists of a 767 happily rolling down the ILS in some moderate chop with GPWS shouting Windshear Windshear! :)

You mean this one:

?

Hardly just mild chop or happily rolling down the ILS. It looks like a textbook micro burst with headwind followed by tailwind. Ended up full scale below the glide with  -2000 fpm and bouncing off the barbers.

I don't know what the 767 product is, but the weather radar showed predictive windshear, the call was for reactive windshear and seems to chime in a before the effect became apparent, which isn't my experience in real life.

The video appears to be manually flown to demonstrate the effect rather than demonstrating procedure or a/c systems so I wouldn't read too much into the actual flying.

All in all, I would say that that ASN effect is pretty good!!

Does that look like a 767 to you? :)

Edit - It seems AS have removed the old video from youtube, very good move, the video was terrible! I have feeling some overly excited beta tester posted a video before the product was completed.

Rob Prest