Sign in to follow this  
jgoggi

Windshear and ASN

If it's predictive the call out should be 'Windshear Ahead' But that is down to the aircraft developers I suppose.

Nice videos, looking forward to purchasing in the new year.

Havent flown my sim in nearly six months, does anyone know if ASN is changing behaviour on VATSIM/IVAO? Hardly anyone would bother to divert or request vectors around cells previously.

Regards

Rob Prest

Havent flown my sim in nearly six months, does anyone know if ASN is changing behaviour on VATSIM/IVAO? Hardly anyone would bother to divert or request vectors around cells previously.

I haven't seen it yet, but I haven't been online too much recently.

Kyle Rodgers

1. Yes, predictive windshear does exist in the 767 (mode 7)

2. Trust me, Level-D sims don't really get the "nack" of the microburst. Just allows us to practice the escape/recovery procedures. A lot of sim instructors must experiment with an "intensity %" to get the simulation just right. 

3. Hats off to HiFi for integrating another "threat/challenge to flying" that didn't exist before.

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

ASN now make thunderstorms scary. I flew my ngx through a cumulonimbus to see what happens, well it was an interesting ride. I especially like the hail effects and sound as you reach the top of the anvil.

So now that we've got all the bickering out of the way, is the windshear simulation accurate enough for PMDG to take a look at integrating it? 

Out of curiosity, I noticed in both vids that the wind speed did not change, and only the wind direction changed "slightly".

Anyone with knowledge care to enlighten me/ us?

I am referring to real world here, not ASN.

Thanks for the information.

Waleed N

Anyone with knowledge care to enlighten me/ us?

The definition of windshear is an abrupt change in wind direction or speed in a relatively short amount of atmospheric distance.  As such, you should see a significant change in either speed or direction.

In the video, the wind direction changed over 100 degrees.  I wouldn't exactly call that "slight."  At the same time, I wouldn't call the demonstration a strong one as the change was relatively slow, at about 30 knots through the sweep.  Then again, depending on how the default 737 simultation calculates wind, the display could have been lagging behind actuality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windshear

Kyle Rodgers

Always there with a fact full answer Kyle, thanks.

I did not pay too much attention to the video's so I stand corrected on the slight comment.

No idea why I forgot the wind direction out of the formula.

BTW, thanks for the uploads on you tube, quite helpful.

Waleed N

No idea why I forgot the wind direction out of the formula.

It's not as obvious as speed, but when you think about it, the direction is essentially a delta in speed.  A 30 knot headwind that quickly becomes a 30 knot tailwind is a 60 knot delta in velocity that could be rather dangerous on approach.

BTW, thanks for the uploads on you tube, quite helpful.

Welcome!  Glad people are finding them helpful!  If there's anything you'd like to see, let me know!

Kyle Rodgers