Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

SSD vs Hybrid SSD load times - FSX?

Curious if anyone out there has done a comparison on load times for a flight with FSX being installed entirely on an SSD and then again on a Hybrid Hard Drive.. the hybrids are pretty cheap and should perform somewhere in the middle I would think.. searching around I dont see much data on this, yet..

Thanks in advance..

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

I have not looked at the hybrid drives but by thinking about it in a logic way tells me that the current ones that have a very small NAND cache will perform a lot more like a slow HDD than a SSD. Flightsim needs fast access time to all small scenery files to improve on load times. The small NAND cache in todays hybrids will only be able to cache a very small amount of scenery files, whilst most scenery will end up on slow access time 5400rpm HDD platters.

I've only compared pure SSD vs Velociraptor vs WD Black. Pure SSD is miles better than even the Velociraptor once the drive is only 1/3rd filled.

Sorry it doesn't actually provide an answer to your question.

My suggestion: go with SSD, forget about the hybrid ones, or rather, go for a Velociraptor...hybrid is just a marketing hype, you won't get any real advantage with hybrid disks

Enrico

My suggestion: go with SSD, forget about the hybrid ones, or rather, go for a Velociraptor...hybrid is just a marketing hype, you won't get any real advantage with hybrid disks

Enrico

I'm holding off till the price of a 960GB one hits around $200.. currently as low as $465.. a one drive, split partition for p3d and fsx ideally.  Even compared to a standard hard drive i'd be curious how load times got cut.. like for instance, going from say 4 minutes to load to 1 minute (if its that extreme).

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

Strange, I've heard good things about hybrids. Faster than conventional HD's.

Are you basing your opinion on fact?

Hybrids are only faster for certain operations definently go ssd, I use intel rapid cache with a 60 gigs ssd as whilst it speeds up some os functions it does virtually nothing for fsx

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

I own Seagate's 1Tb SSHD running FS9.  Previously it used to take about 5 minutes to load.  Now it takes less than 2.  Considering the price/capacity difference between the HD/SSHD and SSD I am more than happy.  Since my FS9 machine is a desktop the size/robustness advantages of the SSD really are not a factor.  FS9 and FSX are of a vintage where the designers could only dream of the cpu/gpu/bandwidth now available.  Believe me you will be delighted with the result of ANY choice you make.

I got the chance to test one of the new 2TB SSHDs from Seagate.. sadly it was an UNderperformer.. performancetest diskmark resulted in only a 719, which was much less than my Toshiba 2TB HDD at around 1000.. reads were the biggest issue.. they were sub 50 for some reason.. the writes appeared to be good at around 180 MB/sec..

Just general use on a load of fsx showed excruciatingly long load times compared to the old 2TB standard Toshiba..

So maybe I had a lemon but this test was a bust.. incidentally, I know from searching online that the good test results should have had it come in around 1200 or so.. (for some reason my Toshiba 2TB is a bit high.. it should only diskmark in around 700-800.. but some sort of caching may be going on boosting it to the 1000 range).

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

To further explain, simply, ... Seagate's new software understands the program/software that is loaded more frequently and caches that.  In my case the FS9.exe is loaded EVERY time. It loads faster. Nothing else does. That is what I want. You might want different.

Enrico

I learned this the hard way when I ordered my computer. It's a 500GB Hybrid and I can't tell a difference in load times. I have a 1TB Conventional drive and I can see a difference with normal usage. I should have just thrown 100$ to newegg and picked up a SSD for a third drive.

Oh well, you know what they say... "Hind sight is 20/20"

Ok I have a question.

Is it possible to RAID (Just a bunch of disks) two SSDs? I mean, if I get 2 SSDs that are 512GB each, then RAID JBOD them, would't that make a 1TB logical partition? That sounds amazing!

Ok I have a question.

Is it possible to RAID (Just a bunch of disks) two SSDs? I mean, if I get 2 SSDs that are 512GB each, then RAID JBOD them, would't that make a 1TB logical partition? That sounds amazing!

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5