Sign in to follow this  
hollow1slo

OK, I`m shocked...

I do believe that the "pause" button for the X-Plane demo, let's you do all the setup work, without the time limit. Worked in version 9, and as I remember.....version 10 also.

FSX with DX10 fixes is running smooth and fast....

Colin

Ok.

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

Afterwards, I installed the freeware (can`t believe those are free really) scenery, mesh and weather addons as follows:

- HD Mesh v2. (whole Europe),

... donation ware ... cough, cough B) ...

But yes, despite it has a few little bugs here and there ... overall (99% of the covered area) is quite nice. And if you like bush flying, or some real majestic scenery ... try the wast mountain ranges of British Columbia (especially when you have seen the comparison pictures, which show the great improvements there). That region is breathtaking ... (but there are so many others which are fantastic too, like the European Alps etc.)

But yes, despite it has a few little bugs here and there ... overall (99% of the covered area) is quite nice. And if you like bush flying, or some real majestic scenery ... try the wast mountain ranges of British Columbia (especially when you have seen the comparison pictures, which show the great improvements there). That region is breathtaking ... (but there are so many others which are fantastic too, like the European Alps etc.)

I will enthusiastically second this. I've done so much bush flying in the last couple of days, I've been kicking around a story idea to wrap around a flight report to the currently stalled Bush Flying Unlimited forum here. :D

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

I really wish someone would do a good Maule. There is a Beaver in the works as well which looks great.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Ooops donationware, sorry about that. I`ll sort it out later today :-) Such a quality work has to be respected...

While talking about the scenery, I actually have a couple of questions:

- is there a way to improve a scenery visibility distance when flying up high? It`s not a biggie, I can always inject some cloudy weather, but still...

- are there any known issues when combining Urbanmaxx and OSM data?

Thanks for any kind of info.

Regards,

Matej

Oh, and sorry about my poor English, I`m clearly not a native speaker.

Matej Stavanja

1) After 10 minutes a window pops up and flight controls stop working;

Thanks for the reply... what the bollocks is all that about! 10 minutes, then there's no point in me downloading the demo, I mean that's rediculous. Anyone who was serious about investing in Xplane would need at least a day to set up the aircraft, set the preferences and install some freeware to really explore the full potential of Xplane. What was Austin thinking about. What difference would it make to the sales of the product by offering a 24 hour demo, or even a few hours at worse, but ten minutes... :huh: :angry: :(

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Ooops donationware, sorry about that. I`ll sort it out later today :-) Such a quality work has to be respected...

While taking about the scenery, I actually have a couple of questions:

- is there a way to improve a scenery visibility distanCe when flying up high? It`s not a biggie, I can always inject some cloudy weather, but still...

Thanks for any kind of info.

Regards,

Matej

Oh, and sorry about my poor English, I`m clearly not a native speaker.

The highlighted items affect scenery visibility:

vm92.jpg

Texture Resolution affects terrain textures (aircraft too, I think).

Hi-res textures from orbit are described below.

3D bump maps effect mountains drawn off in the distance.

World detail distance is self explanatory.

Additionally, you'll want to download the high resolution orbital textures from here:

http://isdg.com.au/scenery-add-ons/ (last one in the list).

By default, X-Plane uses a reduced resolution LOD texture past, I believe 100 miles visibility. There is a distinct line between the texture of the locally loaded tile and the LOD texture. The download above helps to smooth that transition a bit.

And your English is just fine. :)

Thanks for the reply... what the bollocks is all that about! 10 minutes, then there's no point in me downloading the demo, I mean that's rediculous. Anyone who was serious about investing in Xplane would need at least a day to set up the aircraft, set the preferences and install some freeware to really explore the full potential of Xplane. What was Austin thinking about. What difference would it make to the sales of the product by offering a 24 hour demo, or even a few hours at worse, but ten minutes... :huh: :angry: :(

You can restart the demo as many times as you like.

First start: Setup your controls.

Second start: Begin exploring the demo.... take off, fly a bit....

Third start: Try another aircraft... etc.

Author of Gizmo64 for X-Plane.

The highlighted items affect scenery visibility:

vm92.jpg

Texture Resolution affects terrain textures (aircraft too, I think).

Hi-res textures from orbit are described below.

3D bump maps effect mountains drawn off in the distance.

World detail distance is self explanatory.

Additionally, you'll want to download the high resolution orbital textures from here:

http://isdg.com.au/scenery-add-ons/ (last one in the list).

By default, X-Plane uses a reduced resolution LOD texture past, I believe 100 miles visibility. There is a distinct line between the texture of the locally loaded tile and the LOD texture. The download above helps to smooth that transition a bit.

And your English is just fine. :)

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your willing to help us, the newcomers. It`s nice to see such a nice and helpful community.

The posted link seems to be exactly what I was looking for. I`ll try it as soon as I come home and report back. Otherwise the graphics are picture perfect, running all maxed out here.

Thanks again,

Matej

Matej Stavanja

You can restart the demo as many times as you like.

First start: Setup your controls.

Second start: Begin exploring the demo.... take off, fly a bit....

Third start: Try another aircraft... etc.

Ah, OK, then that's not too bad, although pretty frustrating all the same...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Don't forget to try a night-flight with HDR in the demo and you'll see why everyone raves about it so much. Other than that I didn't find the demo particularly helpful in making a buy / don't buy decision. That was more screenshots on this forum and others.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

No problem B)  ... I just like to point it out, because obviously many don't see this side of things (cough cough)  ...

To my knowledge there are no - and there should not be - problems with both of them. To the contrary, they should work very nicely with the HD Mesh Scenery v2 (have seen many users doing exactly that)!

Pausing the sim stops the demo countdown.

Going into ANY menu also stops the demo countdown.  You can be in the setup menu for the whole day and then go back to flying and the 15 minute demo timer (not 10 minutes) resumes it's countdown.

Howard,

I think if you set-up the autopilot, you can fly until the scenery runs out. I'm not certain about this as it was a couple of years ago.