Sign in to follow this  
hollow1slo

OK, I`m shocked...

I have no problem with X-Plane doing some things better than FSX. Effects of wake turbulence can be done in either sim. FSX also has some of the best "slip" features ever created for a desktop flight sim, a point that seems to be missing in the above link. It was RealAir (FS9 and FSX), that produced some of the most authentic plane slipping possible. IMO, they're still the best with slips. It's not an XP advantage.

But..............it's that "flying on rails" garbage that gets me everytime. And then you seem annoyed that I'm annoyed. At least I don't get as carried away, as in the XP org. thread.

Do I not have the right, to point out those certain mis-statements about the competition? Should I just be banned again? Nevermind, I'm on one of those....... goodbye

Not at all! It's good that you point what you think are inaccuracies in X-Plane! :smile: On the other hand, I was just pointing out that the reasoning you always use to belittle those things that X-Plane does, is not valid, since it could lead to the conclusion that even simulating stalls, spins, or loss of control below VMCA is useless (see the post-edit part in my previous post).

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Its all a matter of personal perception, we humans perceive things differently, so for some "flying-on-rails" is pure baloney but for others like myself believe FSX default aircraft and some payware too do feels like they fly-on-rails as oppose to XP10.

This in any way means my perception is right on...........but it ain't wrong either!

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

FSX totally felt like rails to me, especially flying through thick cloud which had absolutely zero effect on the plane. Defaulting to smooth flight is ok if the situation is set up to produce it, but still defaulting to smooth flight when the environment should have you buffeted around is just, erm, rubbish. The only time I've felt the environment really affecting the plane is in MSFlight and XPlane. As far as I can tell FSX doesn't even attempt to model it.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Ian, I think you might need to take a look at what I have installed in my copy

Hi Sesquashtoo,

Can I use the names on those packs to search for them on the x-plane.org site?  The challenge is to find these.  Any helps appreciated.

Thanks

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

I think we might all interpret the 'flying on rails' comment from a personal perspective. To Larry it may mean that the poster is endorsing the torque bug .. which is quite obviously not a good feature.

Personally (as an X-Plane flyer) I'm now very happy that Larry makes his observations and of course I have a lot of respect for Uwespeed and Murmur as well ... Remember it is always good that there is the voice of caution in the wings. :)

In the interests of this discussion I'd like to provide my interpretation of what "flying on rails" now means to me (yes .. Larry has succeeded in expanding my perspectives :lol: ). For me comparing the Carenado C90B in FSX and the same plane by the same manufacturer in X-Plane .. I can say that the FSX C90 feels like it is "flying on rails"; while the same plane in XP feels inherently different without the torque bug! It is not more difficult to fly .. I can fly hands off in both no problems .. it's just that the X-Plane one recreates that ball in the pit of my stomach feeling that I get when I'm flying in a real airplane or helicopter (I did a LOT of flying as baggage in my previous life!).

Having said that .. the Aerosoft Twotter Extended with EzDok for FSX definitely does not feel like it's flying on rails! It's one of my favourite flying experiences on any sim :lol:

Hi Sesquashtoo,

Can I use the names on those packs to search for them on the x-plane.org site? The challenge is to find these. Any helps appreciated.

Thanks

You sure can, Ian...you should get hits...and Google what does not get hits on the .org

Since you're on the fence, I think it's wise to wait a couple of months. The new big release (10.30) should be out Q1 2014, we'll see what it brings to the table.

Thanks for the heads up on that, I was unaware of a new update. Your suggestion makes a lot of sense...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Thanks for the heads up on that, I was unaware of a new update. Your suggestion makes a lot of sense...

Also, there is nothing to be lost in having a go now.    X-Plane has a built in update feature so when the time comes you will only need to download the patch not the entire multi gigabyte installation again.

It will do the download, install etc all for you.

FSX totally felt like rails to me, especially flying through thick cloud which had absolutely zero effect on the plane.

A good weather injector can change your opinion. Yet, I still find X-Plane's turbulence and above all wind shear and variability better than anything available for FSX / P3D. Sometimes it is overdone IMO, and Austin could tune it down a bit, or put in some slider to do overall tuning of turbulence effects...

An area where, OTOH, X-Plane performs not as well as some weather injector available ( soon ) for FSX / P3D is in up / down drafts, of the kind one can get near some convective clouds, mountains, etc... As a matter of fact I know of at least 3 RL pilots caught by the turbulence from rotor clouds, and in two of the cases having their aircraft flipped heads down! They didn't even know what caught them, until we ( glider pilots flying in wave from a nearby airfield ) explained them.  The third case was a glider tug, whose pilot had a good knowledge of the phenomena ... yet, falling into it... Larry's argument looses here... I'm afraid... and I do think that even from a didactic POV a simulator should always include an as close to real as possible modelling of these effects, as well as stalls and spins, etc...

IMO, it's a win-win... Both have strong and week points.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Turbulence in X-plane to me feels like violent semi-random movements thrown into your control input, and is a lot like the "You are drunk" effects in certain video games. Overdone is an understatement, and I wont even comment on the weathercocking......  :blink:

I was just doing a quick Flight (heh) in another sim you once liked Jcomm, and it felt so much more natural, it was like slipping into a comfortable old shoe.

I sometimes think the LR team could really benefit from trying out some other sims, and incorporating a few best-in-class features. Its not always necessary to completely reinvent the wheel........  :unsure:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I sometimes think the LR team could really benefit from trying out some other sims, and incorporating a few best-in-class features. Its not always necessary to completely reinvent the wheel........ :unsure:

How do you know they haven't tried other sims? Where is the supporting evidence that makes it 'best in class'? I'm genuinely curious.

You're conclusion is flawed because your data is unverifiable. You assume that because the performance isn't similar to your 'old shoe' then it must necessarily be wrong :lol:.

Turbulence in X-plane to me feels like violent semi-random movements thrown into your control input

Which is, going on my experience of flying through heavy turbulence as a passenger a few times, exactly what it should feel like. Are you suggesting gentle, predictable swaying by tables would be more realistic?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Turbulence in X-plane to me feels like violent semi-random movements thrown into your control input, and is a lot like the "You are drunk" effects in certain video games. Overdone is an understatement, and I wont even comment on the weathercocking......  :blink:

I have my PPL and thats exactly how turbulence feels like sometimes ! A violent random movement where the plane pitches up then down all of a sudden. 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

How do you know they haven't tried other sims? Where is the supporting evidence that makes it 'best in class'? I'm genuinely curious.

You're conclusion is flawed because your data is unverifiable. You assume that because the performance isn't similar to your 'old shoe' then it must necessarily be wrong :lol:.

I actually have no evidence other than the often repeated story (which I've accepted since its repeated so often) that "Austin" claims to have never tried FSX.

Best in class means every other sim I've ever tried.

Which is, going on my experience of flying through heavy turbulence as a passenger a few times, exactly what it should feel like. Are you suggesting gentle, predictable swaying by tables would be more realistic?

Actually, to an extent, yes. I've flown a few times myself, though only as a passenger, and planes are heavy objects. The type of turbulence often depicted in X-plane would probably snap your neck! Life experience says real winds generally come from one direction, and while that can abruptly switch, X-plane would have you believe that winds slam you right, then left, then up, then diagonally, then the other way, then again. Repeatedly and quickly, and pretty much throughout your entire journey.

Switch to external view while flying a small plane in heavy weather and watch whats being done to your plane. That's realistic? Continually? Who on earth would ever fly?

Does anyone remember what used to happen if you entered the clouds in XPX and how your plane would lose its mind?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I actually have no evidence other than the often repeated story (which I've accepted since its repeated so often) that "Austin" claims to have never tried FSX.

Best in class means every other sim I've ever tried.

Actually, to an extent, yes. I've flown a few times myself, though only as a passenger, and planes are heavy objects. The type of turbulence often depicted in X-plane would probably snap your neck! Life experience says real winds generally come from one direction, and while that can abruptly switch, X-plane would have you believe that winds slam you right, then left, then up, then diagonally, then the other way, then again. Repeatedly and quickly, and pretty much throughout your entire journey.

Switch to external view while flying a small plane in heavy weather and watch whats being done to your plane. That's realistic? Continually? Who on earth would ever fly?

Does anyone remember what used to happen if you entered the clouds in XPX and how your plane would lose its mind?

Do you have any real pilot in command time ?

I went flying yesterday and almost got blown off the runways in gusty conditons.

I was just looking at the winds aloft forecast for LIT. At 3K the wind is forcast at 40@25, 6K-310@13, 9K- 250@25.

If you fly in a real thunderstorm you can expect violent updrafts, downdrafts and windshear. A lot of pilots have lost thier lifes flying into thunderstorms !

The turbulence has been toned down, what version of Xplane are you using ? I've only noticed that kind of turbulence in thunderstorms in Xplane, which would be realistic !

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar