Sign in to follow this  
Wink207

Weird frame rate deal

Well, I spent over a week getting my new system on line exclusively for FS X. I've been flying around just looking at stuff at tweaking the FS.cfg according to the various guides and checking the differences in various settings. All going fine except for one thing. It seems that whenever I find myself on short final at the end of a long flight at even a moderately complex airport the frame rate drops from the preset 30 to 15 or lower. Then the oddest thing I park the aircraft and shut down and I'm seeing 15. GPU and CPU temps are low, and CPU and GPU loads are low. So I close FS X, shut down the machine, reboot, launch FS X and voila I'm seeing 30 again even with aircraft in sight parked at the gate. I've researched this in the forums and the internet with no results. I'm just wondering if anyone has seen this type of thing before? On approach everything is fine until I get less than 10 miles from the field and then the frames drop. I have LOD_Radius at 6.5. I'm just puzzled at what is going on here. I'm flying the Wilco Cessna Citation X in VC mode exclusively.

Here's my rig

4820k at 4.5 gig

EVGA Titan

16 gig 2133

Gigabyte MoBo

SSD for Windows and WD Black Caviar for FS

40 iinch Vizio high def

Win 7 Pro

Primary tweaks:

BufferPool

UsePool=0

Affinity Mask=84 (Hyperthreading not turned off yet)

Fiber-fraction=0.12

TBM=100

and a few other minor ones. I find the tweaks having the most impact are BufferPool and Fiber_fraction.

I'd appreciate any ideas.

Thanks

Rick

Why not try a process of elimination by starting with a default FSX.CFG and a stock aircraft, with no other add-ons, fly into your airport and see how it goes, if it's good then fly into with the addon airport enabled, then add back in the addons and tweaks one by one.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Turn down your LOD... Mine is at 3.5 instead of the standard 4.5 and its silky smooth all the way...

You also didnt say what scenery your using too, as I have found some scenery can be a pig, and some can be sweet.

Yea my specs are pretty much what you have speed wise think I have a different processor though and 32 GB RAM at 2133 and even when I fly into say FS Dreamteam DFW I am getting about 14 FPS on approach into the airport in the PMDG 737. 

Some scenery I have found out while awesome can still bring even the best FSX computers to a halt. I have learned to just accept that it's going to happen and not worry about it. That is also the only airport where I have noticed it get that low before. All the other airports I have seem to be around 25-30 in PMDG aircraft which is fine for me.

Yea my specs are pretty much what you have speed wise think I have a different processor though and 32 GB RAM at 2133 and even when I fly into say FS Dreamteam DFW I am getting about 14 FPS on approach into the airport in the PMDG 737. 

Surprised to hear that about that scenery. Its my most frequently used addon airport with both the NGX and T7 and with UT2 at 70% and WOAI cargo at 100%, I easily manage 25 to 30 FPS there. I'm on a 2700K (not overclocked yet), 8GB ram at 2133, and a GTX670FTW. I wonder what setting or tweak you have going that is causing you to only get 14FPS there? I find it to be one of the easiest FPS airports I own for a hub that big.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Surprised to hear that about that scenery. Its my most frequently used addon airport with both the NGX and T7 and with UT2 at 70% and WOAI cargo at 100%, I easily manage 25 to 30 FPS there. I'm on a 2700K (not overclocked yet), 8GB ram at 2133, and a GTX670FTW. I wonder what setting or tweak you have going that is causing you to only get 14FPS there? I find it to be one of the easiest FPS airports I own for a hub that big.

Well I haven't tried it yet but I had AI traffic at like 80% with My traffic and after reading the manual that is about twice as much as I should be using haha. So perhaps all the add-on planes there were causing the lower FPS. Now while at the gate I was getting 20-25 but this was on approach where it dropped down to about 14. 

It was also one of the few successful flights I have had even with the low FPS. I seem to have stopped one type of crash to desktop from happening but now I am getting a ntdll.dll error type crash and this is with even higher FPS because of the lower amount of traffic I am using. 

Listen guys. I appreciate all your input and good ideas, but I don't think I've made the point clearly enough. What causes the FR to drop at the end of a long flight on approach, but then pick right up again after a reload of the sim? I save the approach flight, reload, and the FR is back up to 30. It's almost like some accumulating crud in FS X is flushed out by the reload???????

Thoughts on that??

I have the wilco citation x too, and have frame rate problems. Have been looking for a solution and found this thread. I get over 31 fps on all default aircraft at all times. Max settings everywhere. New Macbook Pro. But with the Citation X from Wilco. I get 8 departing Dubai, and it alternates every second or so from 10 to 21 in flight. Very weird and disappointing.