Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Can we stop installing add-ons until they are official

I'm reading so many posts of people installing this and that into P3D v2 then bashing it because the add-ons don't work.  This adds fuel to the fire to the skeptics of this platform and unfairly puts a stain on an otherwise great effort.  We all know developers are rushing to get updates to their add-ons to insure proper compatibility is there.  The only benefit to hack installing unmodified FSX add-ons into P3D v2 is we've found out how different P3D v2 is to FSX.  Please let developers like QW, Orbx, PMDG, and others do their work first then if the add-on still doesn't work let LM or the developer know.  I've read many posts on LM's forum where developers are asking the how-to's of developing in P3D so I know our efforts are in vain getting apps to work in something their not designed to work in.  We could end up with allot more problems in P3D v2 forcing things prematurely.  

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

You make some very valid points.

It has always been like this though, albeit previously, with a greater show of patience, deliberation, understanding and common courtesy.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Amen to that!

It's soooo different than fsx, everybody just wants to throw every addon from fsx and voila. This program is still young, developers are doing there best to provide compatibility. I say if your just going to bash it that the addons don't work, than just enjoy fsx for now. That's what I'm doing for the time being enjoying the lovely 777. With dx10 working now, it looks and performs pretty much the same as P3D v2.

2014 will be an exiting year for p3d!

No, thanks. I like my add-ons and they work fine.

If you want to change your suggestion to not pointlessly complaining about P3D when FSX add-ons don't work (which I don't do), that might be more reasonable, but telling me I should not even install them is a little silly.

RoboRay

I don't think Dillon said a word about don't install them.  He was just saying if you do install them don't complain if they don't work.  And I am not saying you are complaining, Dillon is just making a point about those who are complaining.

Oh god.. Is this another "not helping the cause" statement where people should not be transparent about when P3D isn't displaying Unicorns with rainbows flying out of their bum at 1000000FPS? 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Well I am inclined to agree with the OP here. It's way too early to completely transition to V2 in my opinion and who knows what side effects non optimized add ons are causing. Patience will have its own rewards.

adds fuel to the fire to the skeptics of this platform and unfairly puts a stain on an otherwise great effort

But seriously, who cares what others think? Go fly an airplane..

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Or it depends on the add-ons.  Or on users' expectations.  Or both...

While I agree with RoboRay that people can do whatever they want, I'm mostly following Dillon's lead - keeping my add-on installs to a minimum.  Ten days in, it seems increasingly clear that even the add-ons that are officially supported don't necessarily perform well in P3D V2 - there's a difference between having an installer that points to the folder and having a product that's actually tuned and optimized for the new code.  It's great if some of us are experimentally minded and want to install what we've got and see what flies, so to speak, but speaking personally, I'm OK letting the developers do the tweaking, even if that means waiting a while longer.  YMMV.  

I don't think Dillon said a word about don't install them.

That's exactly what the Subject says.

Oh god.. Is this another "not helping the cause" statement where people should not be transparent about when P3D isn't displaying Unicorns with rainbows flying out of their bum at 1000000FPS? 

But seriously, who cares what others think? Go fly an airplane..

Bored Bill? Or just plain old rude? I do recall that P3Dv2 did not, (nor is ever likely to), display those Unicorns that come out of your bum at 100000FPS !

Bored Bill? Or just plain old rude? I do recall that P3Dv2 did not, (nor is ever likely to), display those Unicorns that come out of your bum at 100000FPS !

Not bored, someone posted a screenshot of P3Dv2 showing 18FPS and Dillion  said

Your not helping the cause with frame rates like that. 

"the cause"  :lol:

The cheerleading and trying to hide "bad things" about P3Dv2 is nauseating. People need to know the truth.. Brushing it under the rug and acting like things aren't not compatible and bad framerates don't exist is insanity.  

For once I have to agree with Dillon. Mark that down. :) Prime example is the Majestic Q400. Claim were made it works great. I was having all kinds of CTD's when opening windows, changing liveries. So I check the Majestic forum. Yep, so much for that, all kinds of CTD's. Majestic confirmed it and has an update coming out for P3DV2. Another example is the AS Airbus EX and Twotter. Same thing and their still trying to get it correct. Ive got in the habit of checking the addon people website and asking.

The only benefit to hack installing unmodified FSX add-ons into P3D v2 is we've found out how different P3D v2 is to FSX

Actually the benefit is I get to use the addons in P3Dv2.

You could have titled the thread better. Telling people "don't install this or that" is...bossy?

I also don't see the droves of people complaining that addons aren't working like you're talking about. I see a lot of people complaining about the performance of vanilla P3Dv2 though. Two totally separate things.

I think maybe you should let customers that bought and paid for P3Dv2 use the product how they see fit. If there are loads of threads causing you to make this one telling people what to do, then don't participate in the threads.

Telling people how to act on forums or how to use their products won't do diddly.